Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Taking a personal knife on deployment (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1452761)

RedRiderF26 06-02-2018 2:48 PM

Taking a personal knife on deployment

Are soldiers allowed to take privately owned knives with them on deployment? I would like to get my brother a nice knife that would serve him well. The army may provide them with some sort of knife but as we all know, generally the equipment comes from the lowest bidder.

Sgt. J Beezy 06-02-2018 3:23 PM

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LCU1670 06-02-2018 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRiderF26 (Post 21716064)
Are soldiers allowed to take privately owned knives with them on deployment? I would like to get my brother a nice knife that would serve him well. The army may provide them with some sort of knife but as we all know, generally the equipment comes from the lowest bidder.

26.5 yrs, yes. I was always carefully how expensive because it's easy to loose.

Endless 06-02-2018 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRiderF26 (Post 21716064)

Yes.

Sometimes your CO or E7 and above can reward you for advancement. When I promoted to E3 I was given a $100 Sog Sidewinder. Awesome knife I still have 25 years later.

tnlrat37 06-02-2018 4:50 PM

Yup, carried mine all the time. Had to buy my own K-Bar too, we didn’t get them issued and the bayonet was a pos.

Kokopelli 06-02-2018 6:05 PM

I hope so. I gave my son my Ka-Bar when he deployed to Iraq.

Sgt. J Beezy 06-02-2018 6:07 PM

Something else that I carried even though I was issued a “lesser” option was a LeatherMan MUT.

That was used way more than my K-bar, but a good solid folder would also be a great present!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

splaturn 06-02-2018 11:07 PM

I brought my leatherman with me. It fit perfectly in a molle magazine pouch and though we weren't authorized to wear it on our belts, no one ever said ****. I'm not sure how useful a ka-bar would be though some guys did bring theirs.

RedRiderF26 06-03-2018 2:55 PM

We can get him a cool multitool too, two is one and one is none.

BarrettM99 06-03-2018 11:47 PM

I bought myself a large tanto and a tiny push dagger(fixed blade) from a custom blade smith.

I appendix-carried the dagger IWB and alternated the tanto between my plate carrier and piggy-backed on my drop-leg depending on how the carrier was configured at the time.

ChuckDizzle 06-24-2018 12:05 PM

Yes, a decent folder like the Benchmade Griptilian would be an amazing gift.

Or one of the higher end more robust multi-tools. In fact the multi tool would be best. Our unit issued Gerber multi-tools and I used it almost daily.

No need for anything larger or fixed as his M9 bayonet is one of the best fixed blade knives around.

There's a lot of baloney behind the lowest bidder saying. The fact is the M9 was the highest bid, but the blade performed at such an incredible level it won the contract. The tang and tip strength of them is outstanding.

BlueOvalBandit 07-14-2018 9:17 PM

Might depend on location, but where I'm at nothing over 6" blade length. BN XO already had his taken. Honesty a nice Gerber/multi tool is WAY more useful.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

19K 07-19-2018 11:01 AM

hes going to end up losing it. Half way through my deployment we were told we could no longer "open carry" knives/bayonets while on patrol.

A-J 07-19-2018 11:25 AM

Back in the civil war when I was in, everyone in my unit had:

Gerber Multi-tool or leatherman
Folding knife (Gerber Gator was popular cause that's what the PX carried)
"Larger" knife of varying lengths/styles (Mine was a Gerber Mark I)

The only thing they ever frowned on was personal firearms. They were a big fat no-no.

rromeo 07-19-2018 1:44 PM

Get the biggest fixed blade you can find. It's tough to open MREs with anything less.

Ramp Rat 08-31-2018 7:55 PM

I brought my personal Kukri to Iraq and Afghanistan. No problem through AMC terminal as it was inside my checked luggage.

hermosabeach 08-31-2018 8:02 PM

I got a buddy a wicked CRKT fixed blade and scabbard before he want to the gulf.

I think the chair force allowed him to bring it along

chris 09-02-2018 4:48 PM

i did.

jcourson 09-02-2018 4:52 PM

The bigger question is can you bring it back home after a deployment, and the answer is often 'No'.

AregularGuy 10-10-2018 5:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle (Post 21800910)
Yes, a decent folder like the Benchmade Griptilian would be an amazing gift.

Or one of the higher end more robust multi-tools. In fact the multi tool would be best. Our unit issued Gerber multi-tools and I used it almost daily.

No need for anything larger or fixed as his M9 bayonet is one of the best fixed blade knives around.

There's a lot of baloney behind the lowest bidder saying. The fact is the M9 was the highest bid, but the blade performed at such an incredible level it won the contract. The tang and tip strength of them is outstanding.

I know this probably comes too late but, you can also customize the Griptilian if you go to the Benchmade website, pick your colors, blade type, color, and steel, and get something laser engraved on the blade. You pay for it but it makes a helluva great personalized gift. And everyone will know it's your knife.

oakland1067 10-11-2018 7:46 AM

taking personal knife on deployment

Currently on deployment in combat AO so information is current as of post. Yes can take personal knife, size does matter and longer is not better, can't be more than 6 inches, also type of knife matters. Anything martial arts related or looks like is a no no. Depending on country, location of assignment and if it is an actual combat AO, there are restrictions that limit knives to either 4 or 6 inches. Luckily they can still be automatic.

Wallflood 11-08-2018 10:39 AM

Yes. I highly recommend the Gerber LMF II Infantry knife (originally aircrew escape knife) as well as a leatherman or similar gerber multitool. The MUT tactical multitool is especially good for combat arms/combat support types that eat up a lot of ammo.