Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Competition, Action Shooting And Training. (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   How often are matches new Bay Area - Norcal? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1533707)

Psychbiker 05-18-2019 1:11 PM

How often are matches new Bay Area - Norcal?
 
I signed up for an intro course at Richmond for June 8th. I haven't done a match in a few years and getting my wife into it.

We can't make the June 8th new shooter at Richmond anymore and it doesn't look like many are held there.

How many USPSA matches are held in and around the Bay Area? I'm starting to think there aren't many matches held around here.

Looks like it's only Linden or Richmond since USI is down. Linden has a new USPSA course/class but it was in April. Not sure if they're having another anytime soon.

Both these ranges appear to require an intro course in order to get registered in a match.

ugimports 05-18-2019 2:58 PM

Richmond has matches I believe every 1st/3rd weekend. As far as I recall it's pretty regular and competitive. Surrounding clubs I'm less sure of.

Rez805 05-18-2019 5:49 PM

A good bet is to use practiscore. The map will show active matches and if you click on the club you see their previous matches as well. Most clubs have dedicated weekends and I believe ugimports posted the correct weekends for RRGC.

https://practiscore.com/search/matches

sigstroker 05-18-2019 8:14 PM

Way back when Richmond used to have new shooter orientation the Saturday before every Sunday match. Maybe they've changed or maybe they're just not all listed. Problem is answered with a phone call.

Inkman 05-18-2019 9:23 PM

RRGC has the class once a month. Linden i think is twice a month.

USPSA is twice a month at Richmond. 2nd week is Targetmasters at Yolo but number of shooters is capped there.

Linden is twice a month. Livermore has no action pistol stuff. NCPS in Sac is 4th sunday. Almaden has small matches down there in the southbay. El Dorado now has matches along with Lincoln. Oakdale has recently come back to USPSA too. No, they're not all "bay area" as there just arent many ranges left in the urban areas with enough room to do anything other than have a public line. OTOH, there are a ton of matches held within 90 minutes of the east bay, just need to drive a bit to get to them.

The above is not including IDPA, SASS (cowboy shooting) icore (revo), outlaw matches, steel challenge, rimfire, multi gun and on.

To summarize, there are a poop ton of matches to shoot if you really want to do it.

Al

Gryff 05-18-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychbiker (Post 23015336)
I signed up for an intro course at Richmond for June 8th. I haven't done a match in a few years and getting my wife into it.

We can't make the June 8th new shooter at Richmond anymore and it doesn't look like many are held there.

How many USPSA matches are held in and around the Bay Area? I'm starting to think there aren't many matches held around here.

Looks like it's only Linden or Richmond since USI is down. Linden has a new USPSA course/class but it was in April. Not sure if they're having another anytime soon.

Both these ranges appear to require an intro course in order to get registered in a match.

I'm one of the instructors for the Richmond course. We used to do 12 classes a year, but this year we have 20 scheduled because of the demand. The issue is that we have to limit the class to 12 shooters for the safety of the instructor and students, and there is a huge demand to start shooting competitively.

USPSA competitions are currently held at Richmond, Davis, Sacramento, Lincoln, and Linden (east of Stockton). Lots of options if you are willing to drive a little. Just search Practiscore.com.

Note that if you cannot make the June 8th class, contact the Class Coordinator (scachia1@gmail.com) and see if you can trade with someone in the June 15th, July 13th, or July 20th classes.

balmo 05-18-2019 11:51 PM

Just between Richmond and Linden, there's a USPSA match every Sunday. Add in NCPS, Yolo, Metcalf, and now Oakdale there's a lot to choose from.

sigstroker 05-19-2019 8:38 AM

Metcalf?? I don't remember any ranges there suitable for USPSA.

ugimports 05-19-2019 9:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigstroker (Post 23017461)
Metcalf?? I don't remember any ranges there suitable for USPSA.

https://www.facebook.com/AVAPshootingclub/

brix 05-19-2019 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugimports (Post 23015689)
Richmond has matches I believe every 1st/3rd weekend. As far as I recall it's pretty regular and competitive. Surrounding clubs I'm less sure of.

Most of the regulars at Richmond migrate between Yolo and Linden as well so you will see a lot of the same guys at those three matches every month. But all the guys I've shot with since I started have been nothing but great. Take the class and get out and shoot.

Almaden Valley is just starting their club matches and usually shoot during the dry months only. Diablo Valley Action Pistol, current only has 22lr steel challenge matches but they are working to get some sort of USPSA matches going again soon. (Based on what I heard it probably be qualifiers only because the new rules in place)

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

brix 05-19-2019 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychbiker (Post 23015336)
I signed up for an intro course at Richmond for June 8th. I haven't done a match in a few years and getting my wife into it.



We can't make the June 8th new shooter at Richmond anymore and it doesn't look like many are held there.



How many USPSA matches are held in and around the Bay Area? I'm starting to think there aren't many matches held around here.



Looks like it's only Linden or Richmond since USI is down. Linden has a new USPSA course/class but it was in April. Not sure if they're having another anytime soon.



Both these ranges appear to require an intro course in order to get registered in a match.

Actually you will find all the Nor Cal ranges will require an intro course

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

trackcage 05-19-2019 6:37 PM

If you are willing to drive between Sac Valley, Linden and Richmond, you could shoot every single weekend.

Psychbiker 05-19-2019 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brix (Post 23018973)
Actually you will find all the Nor Cal ranges will require an intro course

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

As in, they all require their own? Hmm. That seems silly especially if you've been shooting a lot at one and choose to shoot at another.

I'm gonna contact richmond and hopefully swap my days. Really want to get some matches in this summer and get the wife into it.

Pardini 05-19-2019 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychbiker (Post 23019253)
As in, they all require their own? Hmm. That seems silly especially if you've been shooting a lot at one and choose to shoot at another.

I'm gonna contact richmond and hopefully swap my days. Really want to get some matches in this summer and get the wife into it.

You'll get a card upon completion of the class. All the other clubs with accept it. If you are a classified USPSA member you don't need to take the class.

brix 05-19-2019 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pardini (Post 23019283)
You'll get a card upon completion of the class. All the other clubs with accept it. If you are a classified USPSA member you don't need to take the class.

Yep, the class is recognized by all Nor Cal clubs since shooters frequent more than one club. It's a cooperative effort to promote a standard for safety.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

TempleKnight 05-21-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balmo (Post 23016906)
Just between Richmond and Linden, there's a USPSA match every Sunday. Add in NCPS, Yolo, Metcalf, and now Oakdale there's a lot to choose from.

Depending where you are in NorCal you can add Lincoln and Gridley to the list.

broadside 05-21-2019 12:39 PM

Linden is twice a month on Sundays.

New shooter course is integrated into second match of the month as a separate squad with multiple instructors. There is also the occasional half-day course independent of a match on a Saturday when demand is high.

Most places don't worry about you taking a course if you can show proficiency via a classification in USPSA.

Use Practiscore to find local matches. It's a great system

dilznik 06-06-2019 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gryff (Post 23016815)
I'm one of the instructors for the Richmond course. We used to do 12 classes a year, but this year we have 20 scheduled because of the demand. The issue is that we have to limit the class to 12 shooters for the safety of the instructor and students, and there is a huge demand to start shooting competitively.

USPSA competitions are currently held at Richmond, Davis, Sacramento, Lincoln, and Linden (east of Stockton). Lots of options if you are willing to drive a little. Just search Practiscore.com.

Note that if you cannot make the June 8th class, contact the Class Coordinator (scachia1@gmail.com) and see if you can trade with someone in the June 15th, July 13th, or July 20th classes.

Is the sign up for the class going to be on Practiscore? I want to do one of the July classes.

Gryff 06-06-2019 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilznik (Post 23080134)
Is the sign up for the class going to be on Practiscore? I want to do one of the July classes.

No. Because of the demand, you need to contact the class coordinator directly. He'll let you know what's available.

scachia1@gmail.com

dilznik 06-06-2019 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gryff (Post 23080253)
No. Because of the demand, you need to contact the class coordinator directly. He'll let you know what's available.

scachia1@gmail.com

Okay cool thanks. I'll try him.

riight112 06-10-2019 11:20 AM

Gryff, do you know if there will be any night matches held there this year? I saw there were some listed for last year's schedule. Thanks!

Gryff 06-10-2019 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riight112 (Post 23093494)
Gryff, do you know if there will be any night matches held there this year? I saw there were some listed for last year's schedule. Thanks!

I don't see anything on the calendar right now.

jimmykan 06-10-2019 3:19 PM

What happened to Tuesday Action Shooting Club? And the steel shoot at San Leandro?

prc77 06-10-2019 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riight112 (Post 23093494)
Gryff, do you know if there will be any night matches held there this year? I saw there were some listed for last year's schedule. Thanks!

Richmond's night matches are run in the winter months. Usually 3 or 4 of them

riight112 06-10-2019 6:33 PM

Thank you Gryff and prc77!

SG29736 06-12-2019 8:51 AM

I just got an email that Lincoln uspsa will not be holding more matches but it will be Placer Practical Shooters.

ugimports 06-12-2019 9:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmykan (Post 23094280)
What happened to Tuesday Action Shooting Club? And the steel shoot at San Leandro?

I think TASC folded with Chabot closing.

Steel Shoot is still on at San Leandro, did you hear otherwise?
http://www.slrifle.com/activities/steel-shoot

oddjob 06-15-2019 5:41 PM

Oakdale has a "Fun" match on the first Sunday of the month. Its run "like" a USPSA match, but its only $10.00. Don't even need a holster or mag pouches (barrels are used). 22LR are welcome so lots of kids shoot along with adult beginners. Round count is a max of 20 per stage. Five stages. Very low key.

The 3rd Sunday is a full blown USPSA match with classifiers & etc.

ugimports 06-15-2019 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddjob (Post 23111670)
Oakdale has a "Fun" match on the first Sunday of the month. Its run "like" a USPSA match, but its only $10.00. Don't even need a holster or mag pouches (barrels are used). 22LR are welcome so lots of kids shoot along with adult beginners. Round count is a max of 20 per stage. Five stages. Very low key.

The 3rd Sunday is a full blown USPSA match with classifiers & etc.

Side note (if you like gouda cheese):
http://www.oakdalecheese.com/

oddjob 06-15-2019 7:55 PM

Side.....Side Note:

One of the shooters makes cheese and he gave me some. It was fantastic!!

The other nice things about Oakdale is they have real bathrooms. They have a kitchen and serve burgers and dogs and fries. The club house has air conditioning. There is a park near by too.

Libertarian777 06-21-2019 9:28 PM

Almaden Valley Action Pistol club meets roughly monthly at the San Jose range on Malech Road. Search for them on FB.

BeanFromSanDiego 08-18-2019 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertarian777 (Post 23132069)
Almaden Valley Action Pistol club meets roughly monthly at the San Jose range on Malech Road. Search for them on FB.



Moving up to San Jose from San Diego for wifeís job. Iíll have to look them up. Any other recommendations?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeanFromSanDiego 08-18-2019 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balmo (Post 23016906)
Just between Richmond and Linden, there's a USPSA match every Sunday. Add in NCPS, Yolo, Metcalf, and now Oakdale there's a lot to choose from.



Do you have websites or FB pages I can look for? Moving to the area and trying to orient myself with the gun community up there. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ugimports 08-18-2019 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanFromSanDiego (Post 23323314)
Do you have websites or FB pages I can look for? Moving to the area and trying to orient myself with the gun community up there. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.richmondhotshots.com
https://www.lindencsc.com
https://www.facebook.com/AVAPshootingclub/

Others can add more.

BeanFromSanDiego 08-18-2019 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugimports (Post 23323811)



Thanks! Appreciate it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brix 08-19-2019 6:06 AM

https://diablorodandgun.com/calendar/

(for their action pistol practice, might want to email them to see if they are allowing anything other than 22lr, I know it was a work in progress but not quite sure where they are on that right now)

http://yolosportsmanassociation.com/page-38-38

broadside 08-19-2019 7:00 AM

Linden is switching to one USPSA match a month, at least for now. 2nd Sunday I believe.

Psychbiker 08-19-2019 9:33 AM

Haven’t done a uspsa in 3 years.

Just go slow and don’t worry bout time huh?

ugimports 08-19-2019 9:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychbiker (Post 23325226)
Havenít done a uspsa in 3 years.

Just go slow and donít worry bout time huh?

Correct - just be safe.. watch the muzzle direction and your trigger finger..

broadside 08-19-2019 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychbiker (Post 23325226)
Havenít done a uspsa in 3 years.

Just go slow and donít worry bout time huh?

#1 safety
#2 hits
#3 speed


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.