Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Guns & Money (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   NRA phone calls. (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1794829)

CheapBloke 05-12-2022 7:46 AM

NRA phone calls.

I've been getting NRA calls everyday, two times. Once in the morning and once in evening since Jan 2022.

Is this normal or did I win something? I've been ignoring it since the 1st time I picked up which was "something something Wayne needs your help.."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DaveInOroValley 05-12-2022 7:51 AM

Wow I believe I have never received one.

1911-CV 05-12-2022 11:28 AM

Glad to share

I'd be glad to forward their calls... 2X day here. Maybe it's a CA thing.

pacrat 05-12-2022 11:35 PM

I've been an NRA Life Member for 43 yrs and never got a call.

Unless they also have Vehicle Repair Insurance or Solar Panel subsidies. :oji:

TKM 05-12-2022 11:55 PM

You can tell them to knock it off.

"Please remove my number from your calling list. Thank you."

CheapBloke 05-12-2022 11:59 PM

So I get calls from 4 different NRA numbers.
866 number.
855 number.
202 number.
And 1 local at a 949 number.

CheapBloke 05-13-2022 9:06 AM

Dang, was hoping I won a prize or something.

Instead, I won a chance to donate more money [emoji58]

Garv 05-13-2022 9:33 AM

I was getting several calls a while back after I had joined.

I told them if I ever got another call I would not renew.

They quit calling.

RudyN 05-13-2022 10:07 AM

I have caller id which shows up on both my phone and tv. If I don’t recognize the number I don’t answer it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SharedShots 05-14-2022 5:29 PM

You must Opt-out from getting the calls. I posted something about Opt-out in the general about that and how it works.

When republicans and democrats got together and told everyone that Opt-out laws would let consumers control when business and organizations could contact them what they didn't say was that all those laws had the effect to allow businesses to control all that instead.

xMAC1x 05-14-2022 5:38 PM

It happened to me something different numbers constantly, I finally had enough and asked them to stop.

To the old timers I don't think we had phone service.

The Gleam 05-24-2022 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacrat (Post 26898752)
I've been an NRA Life Member for 43 yrs and never got a call.

Unless they also have Vehicle Repair Insurance or Solar Panel subsidies. :oji:

Same here: member since 1978. Never a single call, but I've called them a few times, or ILA contacts, Paul Payne, etc.

Do people voluntarily share their personal phone number with every membership, sweepstakes entry, coupon/rebate offer, club sign-up, or internet connection with whom they connect?

I never have, not necessary.

---

FilmGuy 05-25-2022 9:45 AM

I called member services a few years ago and just had them remove me from all mailing & call lists.

From the NRA Member Services Website
How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Bobby Ricigliano 05-25-2022 12:42 PM

The NRA wore me down with relentless mailers to upgrade my yearly membership, so I relented need bought a life membership, just to make the junk mail stop.

Now I receive even more.

Bobby Ricigliano 05-25-2022 12:44 PM

I’ve been told that my next upgrade from Life Member will include the red Fez and instructions on the secret handshake. This is in addition to the $5 made in China pocket knife.

Rwnielsen 05-25-2022 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 26933409)
I’ve been told that my next upgrade from Life Member will include the red Fez and instructions on the secret handshake. This is in addition to the $5 made in China pocket knife.

I was a member for years and upgraded to Life way back when it was expensive, like $750 or something. Then, every time a liberal got in charge (Obama) I upgraded again. I have the chinese knife plus an absolutely horrible little LED flashlight. Their trinkets aren't very high quality but I'm comforted know they're a pain in the administration's *** :rolleyes:

Rob454 05-25-2022 6:20 PM

Ive gotten calls. Random times. They usually ask for donations. Last time they hit me up for $400. I told them when they are going to start defending Californai gun owners ill think about it. Im a lifetime member

Truthfully if they took the money they spend on the mailers and trinkets and put that to fighting for our rights… And get rid of Wayne I’ll start thinking about donating again.

intouchorg 05-29-2022 6:22 PM

Back when I was a young, broke, union concrete mixer driver in the early 90's, I joined the NRA to stand up for John Wayne, America and her freedoms. After about 1 year, they filled my U.S. p.o. box with so many mailings requesting money, I canceled my membership and vowed never to support them again. I kept the promise and still managed to get an autographed picture of Charlton Heston after sending a request to his home address.

Vinnie Boombatz 05-29-2022 6:26 PM

I used to get calls and a LOT of mail from them. I told them to please stop with all the calls and mail or I wouldn't renew my membership the following year. The calls and mail miraculously stopped.

The Gleam 05-29-2022 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intouchorg (Post 26945641)
Back when I was a young, broke, union concrete mixer driver in the early 90's, I joined the NRA to stand up for John Wayne, America and her freedoms. After about 1 year, they filled my U.S. p.o. box with so many mailings requesting money, I canceled my membership and vowed never to support them again. I kept the promise and still managed to get an autographed picture of Charlton Heston after sending a request to his home address.

What an asinine reason for not staying a member of the most important and largest 2nd Amendment organization, not to mention the most powerful of all civil-rights organizations, in the history of the United States.

All of 2 posts since you joined Calguns in April, and this was one of them?

What a pathetic excuse in order to deflect the focus away from apathy.

By the way - you're still broke.

---

CheapBloke 05-30-2022 7:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gleam (Post 26945704)

By the way - you're still broke.

---

I'm not sure of that. Intouchorg seems like a unique name, so i googled that and comes up as a ministry in Georgia.

NoHeavyHitter 05-30-2022 7:57 AM

Block the caller - problem solved. :)

Big Chudungus 05-30-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapBloke (Post 26896636)
I've been getting NRA calls everyday, two times. Once in the morning and once in evening since Jan 2022.

Is this normal or did I win something? I've been ignoring it since the 1st time I picked up which was "something something Wayne needs your help.."

I'm guessing its not actually NRA but a scam....unless you have history of big donations to them or OTHER groups.

Anyways, my issue is the gun mags the keep sending me after I'm 100% sure I clicked "e-mag" version. Also, all their mail is clearly and loudly marked "NRA!!!:D". Not everyone wants their local mailman/fed getting info on "this address has guns stashed somewhere". I've known some pretty sleazy types who later became mailmen, plus the whole Govt snitch OpSec issue. Supposed my mailman is buddies with some neighbor and me and neighbor get in some dispute. Do I want my mailman tipping off neighbor that he can SWAT/red flag me as dirty trick?

CheapBloke 05-30-2022 12:26 PM

Weird thing.

it stopped for no reason about 2 weeks ago for exactly 1 week, and now starting back again, but less frequent than before.

The caller ID shows NRA.

The Gleam 06-04-2022 9:27 AM

https://membership.nra.org/MultiStep/JoinToday

https://membership.nra.org/FAQ

https://modernserviceweapons.com/wp-...RG_P1_Join.jpg

https://www.americanrifleman.org/med...-stack_web.jpg

---

The Gleam 06-04-2022 9:27 AM

https://membership.nra.org/MultiStep/JoinToday

https://membership.nra.org/FAQ

https://modernserviceweapons.com/wp-...RG_P1_Join.jpg

https://www.americanrifleman.org/med...-stack_web.jpg

---

SamsDX 06-07-2022 7:52 AM

The NRA is one of the few organizations that have actually respected my request to stop with the mailers. If I recall, it was a pretty easy process through their website, too.

The ones that are really horrible about it are the Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens' Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. No matter what I do, I can't seem to be taken off their mailing/call list.

I've donated enough to become a Benefactor member. While I'm not quite to the point of renouncing my membership, I'm not pleased with the way things have been going in the last few years under WLP - the dude has long outlasted his welcome and needs to go. I don't see much of the inner workings of the board and the top echelons of the leadership, but from what I do see publicly (criticisms from members, the NYAG lawsuit, bankruptcy petitions, etc. etc.), the desperate tactics he's using to hold on to power would be enough to make even dictators of countries blush. A few brave souls seem to mount a challenge every couple of years, but this year again all attempts at reform have failed. I vote in the elections for these challengers but the entrenched incumbents always seem to win.

The Gleam 06-07-2022 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamsDX (Post 26969806)
While I'm not quite to the point of renouncing my membership, I'm not pleased with the way things have been going in the last few years under WLP - the dude has long outlasted his welcome and needs to go. I don't see much of the inner workings of the board and the top echelons of the leadership, but from what I do see publicly (criticisms from members, the NYAG lawsuit, bankruptcy petitions, etc. etc.), the desperate tactics he's using to hold on to power would be enough to make even dictators of countries blush. A few brave souls seem to mount a challenge every couple of years, but this year again all attempts at reform have failed. I vote in the elections for these challengers but the entrenched incumbents always seem to win.

Well, he's not going anywhere any time soon; The National Rifle Association's board of directors voted last Monday to re-elect CEO Wayne LaPierre: ONLY 1 VOTE was im favor of Allen West.

LaPierre has been in charge of the NRA's day-to-day operations since 1991 and has shaped its no-compromise approach to lobbying against gun control.

That works for me.

However, many gun owners have formed an impression of Wayne from media snippets and headline phrases, and keep repeating they don't like Wayne, but when asked why, all of their points read like the quips from the Anti-2nd Amendment opinion editorials blazing the pages and pixels of sources like CNN, MSNBC, New York Times, LA Times, Huffington Post, Yahoo, Twitter, Hello Giggles and Pop Sugar.

They simply don't know the long list of the accomplishments and wins for the NRA Wayne can notch on his resume, because they don't want to take the time to research the facts - with many not having ever been NRA members, and wouldn't ever be if Wayne is booted. It's just an excuse to fertilize apathy.

When you really examine what Wayne has done for the NRA and the strength to which he has built it since 1991, but having been involved since 1977, it's quite impressive and he continues to deliver even in this current atmosphere of unfounded and unproven derision against him.

Yet Steve Jobs went through the same kind of thing: booted from leadership - and Apple dwindled to the point of a threat of being bought out or going out of business, until they begged to bring him back years later to create the powerhouse Apple is today.

Then there is the repeat results, derision, then results again from a guy like Lee Iacocca, a legend that repeatedly proved everybody wrong.

Similar could be said about Men's Warehouse former CEO George Zimmer; they ditched him in 2013 because they thought they knew better than the fact he single-handedly started the compamy in 1973 - however, in that case, he never came back and the company didn't fair as well as Apple - he wrote an open letter in 2013 of how he felt the company was thereafter heading in the wrong direction, and they filed for bankruptcy protection by 2020. Granted COVID pushed them over the edge, but it was inevitable.

So, should Wayne take on some additional advisors? Maybe.

But he is still a valuable asset and benefit to the NRA and has built it to the effective civil rights organization it has become, whether people believe what CNN, Yahoo, Bloomberg, Schumer, James, Bezos, Kimmel, Oprah, Whoopi, Baldwin, Weinstein and the like implore or not.

I think it's an impulsive decision based on bad information and propaganda to throw out Wayne just yet.

----

pacrat 06-18-2022 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapBloke (Post 26947303)
Weird thing.

it stopped for no reason about 2 weeks ago for exactly 1 week, and now starting back again, but less frequent than before.

The caller ID shows NRA.

That does not mean it is really NRA. :rolleyes: I do get several of "THOSE TYPE" NRA calls a week. I screen all calls with my answering mach. "Those Type NRA" calls are coming from 562 area code. Which matches my area.

There are exactly zero NRA affiliates in my area code. ;) I give them the opportunity to talk to the machine. Which they NEVER do. So I add them to my block list. And a few days later they call again with a slightly changed #.

Those are computer generated SPOOF calls. Whose sole purpose is to hunt for, and confirm, "GOOD NUMBERS" so they can add them to the list they sell to telemarketers.

Then the telemarketers call to sell you solar panels, auto maintenance insurance, and FREE Ca Gov paid for window upgrades.

I get same crap SPOOF CALLS, from other well known ACRONYMS like "SCE".

Subotai 06-18-2022 8:14 PM

The NRA still owes me a hat.

-hanko 06-27-2022 5:24 PM

I'd be interested in an NRA report that discusses NRA's influence on the Supreme's latest decision regarding concealed carry.:cool:

Frito Bandido 06-27-2022 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 26933403)
The NRA wore me down with relentless mailers to upgrade my yearly membership, so I relented need bought a life membership, just to make the junk mail stop.

Now I receive even more.

Same, soon as I became a Life Member they were blowing up my phone every day for about a year.

pacrat 06-29-2022 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -hanko (Post 27029866)
I'd be interested in an NRA report that discusses NRA's influence on the Supreme's latest decision regarding concealed carry.:cool:

Is a "report" really necessary? :rolleyes:

NYSRPA is the NRA in NY state. Just as ANJRPC is the NRA in NJ.

Just as CRPA is, here in Ca.

pennstater 08-16-2022 1:26 PM

Sorry The Gleam, the NRA isn't what it once was. Not close. And don't bother asking what I may be member of. Nobody's business.

MLC

The Gleam 08-16-2022 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennstater (Post 27175697)
Sorry The Gleam, the NRA isn't what it once was. Not close. And don't bother asking what I may be member of. Nobody's business.

MLC

Correct: it's better than it has ever been and only getting better, even in the face of apathetic gun owners and an Anti-2nd Amendment adverserial regime in the White House supported by the same.

And if you were an NRA member you would know that.

Instead, you may be gullible and easily mislead, willfully choosing to get the latest updates about the NRA from reputable sources like Everytown, CNN, Yahoo, Huffington Post, Twitter, TikTok and Hello Giggles.

To each their own, who eat their own, and with no better appetite than apathy to do it.

'Sorry' is right.

---

pennstater 08-18-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gleam (Post 27176570)
Correct: it's better than it has ever been and only getting better, even in the face of apathetic gun owners and an Anti-2nd Amendment adverserial regime in the White House supported by the same.

And if you were an NRA member you would know that.

Instead, you may be gullible and easily mislead, willfully choosing to get the latest updates about the NRA from reputable sources like Everytown, CNN, Yahoo, Huffington Post, Twitter, TikTok and Hello Giggles.

To each their own, who eat their own, and with no better appetite than apathy to do it.

'Sorry' is right.

---

Dang, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers there fella. You have a nice day, as I will.

MLC

M1NM 08-18-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharedShots (Post 26903352)
You must Opt-out from getting the calls. I posted something about Opt-out in the general about that and how it works.

When republicans and democrats got together and told everyone that Opt-out laws would let consumers control when business and organizations could contact them what they didn't say was that all those laws had the effect to allow businesses to control all that instead..

Easiest way is to go on the NRA website and opt out.

I can fix the robocall with one easy law.
You get a robocall/sales you don't want you merely push #. This creates a $3 chargeback against the caller. You get $1 the phone company gets $1 and here's where it has a chance of getting some traction .gov gets the last $1. In 2019 there would be a pot of about 138 Billion to divide up.

Some 48 billion robocalls were made last year to U.S. mobile phone users last year, according to YouMail, a company that tracks the calls. The scams are surprisingly effective, with 3 percent to 5 percent of people responding to the automated messages and sometimes sending scammers thousand of dollars.Jan 4, 2019

The Gleam 08-18-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennstater (Post 27181388)
Dang, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers there fella. You have a nice day, as I will.

MLC

Talons, teeth, and claws - not feathers, unless I've got a bucket of tar to go with them! :) .

---

xrMike 08-22-2022 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1NM (Post 27181407)
Easiest way is to go on the NRA website and opt out.

That's what I did and never received another phone call, snail mail, or email from them after that.

That's all you have to do to make it stop.

You will need your Membership ID, which is on your card.