Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   General gun discussions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Unusually slow and soft private firearms sales ? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1494298)

pethouse 12-04-2018 8:53 AM

Unusually slow and soft private firearms sales ?

Anyone else notice how soft private sales have been ? I see some nice pieces at fair prices just sitting, unwanted. Perhaps past fears had the effect of pushing forward previous purchases that folks would have normally waited to make now.

Don't know, but it seems buying appetite is way down, not just on handguns, but also on rifles that utilize an external magazine, even rimfires. Galvin Newsom fears ?

FWIW.. this is an observation from a guy with several pieces for sale now.

MrFancyPants 12-04-2018 9:01 AM

Could just be many people here have decided not to buy anything else until they move out of the state, if that's their plan. I know that's the boat I'm in. I haven't bought anything in a long while and don't plan to. I also have a couple pistols listed for sale that haven't moved, but I don't always bump the threads because I forget about them. If they don't sell no sweat, I don't mind taking them with me. They might end up on Gunbroker.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Moemoe1 12-04-2018 9:03 AM

Or maybe with all these gun laws coming people just ended up buying everything they wanted. I know I just finished purchasing all the guns I had on my list. Till I can move out of state suppresors and SBRs are on my list now :D

sealocan 12-04-2018 9:16 AM

We's Broke ?

Skip_Dog 12-04-2018 9:25 AM

If you are done with your list, time to make a new list. That was my fortune from last nights dinner.

Fishslayer 12-04-2018 9:30 AM

Christmas time. Tax season is coming up. Good time to keep an eye on the classifieds & consignment cases. ;)

billkohatsu 12-04-2018 9:32 AM

I am assuming the above statement is true.
Hard to justify buying additional firearms with all of the holiday expenses.

IVC 12-04-2018 9:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pethouse (Post 22403818)
I see some nice pieces at fair prices just sitting, unwanted.

This is the crux - are they really "fair priced?"

Most of what I've seen in classifieds is overpriced. Offering a Gen 4 Glock for $800 and Gen 3 for $450-$500 is a good example. Why would anyone who is looking for their first gun buy either? There is nothing special about Gen 4 and saving $50 on a used Gen 3 is a huge risk with all the bubba-smiths.

hunterb 12-04-2018 9:56 AM

Tough time to sell. It will pickup in March when people get their tax refunds.

Barbarosa 12-04-2018 10:00 AM

All the above combined with a lot of good sale prices at gun stores. Why pay nearly full retail prices - or in some cases more - for a used gun?

Citadelgrad87 12-04-2018 10:05 AM

Your idea of “fair” or realistic pricing is off. Calguns marketplace is a fantasyland of overpriced “custom” gen 4 and 5 glocks.

If the pricing was reflective of what the market thinks, they wouldnt be sitting there unsold.

Yodaman 12-04-2018 10:07 AM

Nothing left to buy? Price gouging?

pethouse 12-04-2018 11:08 AM

Not every gun is a Glock, and if your motivation for buying is strictly as a "tool", well, how many hammers do you really need ?? Very few guys I know have only one, two or even three different handguns that are essentially designed to do the same specific application; whether it be hunting, SD, etc. lol, I admit it, I have duplicate use firearms.

I also think firearms are like anything else, you typically move up in quality after you buy your first entry item (gun, car, house, etc), or as you develop greater knowledge, experience, or appreciation for what you prefer.

I'll also add that just because something sits does not mean it's not priced "fairly". The old saying "the Market sets the price" .. is often a cop-out, and only applies to a snapshot in time, unless there has been broad item exposure relative to the community of buyers, and in relation to the perception of it's cost and general "value".

I guess I'm just sensing that our 2A community has become supersaturated with purchases, and that not enough new folks are joining to expand our hobby, and absorb the used and new inventory.

Just thinking out loud

Dan_Eastvale 12-04-2018 11:35 AM

If someone really "needs" to sell they will price it to sell quickly.. Guns that ALWAYS sell on auctions have no reserve price or "fake" initial bid. If a gun on a marketplace or auction has a "fair" price and sits forever it means the seller doesn't need to sell..And may not care if it doesn't.

9mmContagion 12-04-2018 11:49 AM

Being honest, OP.. Your Glock and SP-01 are overpriced, 1911s are fair.

Any seller who is actually motivated will post a price below the competitor. Otherwise it just sits. I have a gun in the marketplace. It’s not something I need to sell, and it’s fairly priced. Someone could also get a new stock version of said gun for ~$300 less than my price since they’re on sale right now. But once you factor in modifications and what not, that’s an extra ~$500. My price is high fair side and I expect someone to offer less, but again I’m in no rush. The right buyer will come along eventually.

I’ve never seen guns as an investment, and therefore have never over paid for off roster guns unless it was at MSRP price. If I can get a new gun for $100 more, I’d rather buy new. Just my 2¢

The War Wagon 12-04-2018 12:05 PM

Sales are slow even in free states. We get lax, when a GOOD guy is in office.

Our governor is a blithering idiot, but the PA House & Senate are Republican dominated. The blue anchors (Philthy & Pittsburgh) try all sorts of nonsensical restrictions, but the PA constitution is stronger FOR gun owners than the 2nd Amendment :eek:, and the blue anchors dumbassed proposals get thrown out every time.

Life is good, here in 'MURICA. Consider emigrating! :oji:

deadcoyote 12-04-2018 12:12 PM

I’ve been buying but not selling since prices are so low.

nedro 12-04-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mmContagion (Post 22404451)

Any seller who is actually motivated will post a price below the competitor. Otherwise it just sits. I have a gun in the marketplace. It’s not something I need to sell, and it’s fairly priced. Someone could also get a new stock version of said gun for ~$300 less than my price since they’re on sale right now. But once you factor in modifications and what not, that’s an extra ~$500. My price is high fair side and I expect someone to offer less, but again I’m in no rush. The right buyer will come along eventually.

I’ve never seen guns as an investment, and therefore have never over paid for off roster guns unless it was at MSRP price. If I can get a new gun for $100 more, I’d rather buy new. Just my 2¢

Not sure about that.
You can get an MC Loaded Operator for under $1000.00 on line.

Citadelgrad87 12-04-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pethouse (Post 22404307)
Not every gun is a Glock, and if your motivation for buying is strictly as a "tool", well, how many hammers do you really need ?? Very few guys I know have only one, two or even three different handguns that are essentially designed to do the same specific application; whether it be hunting, SD, etc. lol, I admit it, I have duplicate use firearms.

I also think firearms are like anything else, you typically move up in quality after you buy your first entry item (gun, car, house, etc), or as you develop greater knowledge, experience, or appreciation for what you prefer.

I'll also add that just because something sits does not mean it's not priced "fairly". The old saying "the Market sets the price" .. is often a cop-out, and only applies to a snapshot in time, unless there has been broad item exposure relative to the community of buyers, and in relation to the perception of it's cost and general "value".

I guess I'm just sensing that our 2A community has become supersaturated with purchases, and that not enough new folks are joining to expand our hobby, and absorb the used and new inventory.

Just thinking out loud

Watch those few posts of gen 4 glocks for $700, or ruger mark rimfires at 300-400, they sell in minutes. I strongly disagree. Look at the headcounts on the firarms sales sub boards, this is a huge, sophisticated audience.

The market sets the price. Sounds like you “think” a price is fair but wont accept......capitalism.

Edit, i didnt realize you have guns for sale and are commenting on that. Yeah, everyone thinks their stuff is somehow top shelf.

The glock is kind of a niche item, ported. Not a lot of glock collectors, because they are pretty plain jane.

The stars are dangerous to buy, no spare parts anywhere is what i am reading.

heidad01 12-04-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 (Post 22404092)
Your idea of “fair” or realistic pricing is off. Calguns marketplace is a fantasyland of overpriced “custom” gen 4 and 5 glocks.

If the pricing was reflective of what the market thinks, they wouldnt be sitting there unsold.

This^^^

Calgun market place is the only one I have seen where a seller boldly advertises a used gun for the price of a new one plus some profit. :rolleyes:

Colt NM is available at stores for around $1350 give or take a little. There are several in the market place asking $2000 and higher. Go figure. :facepalm:

Citadelgrad87 12-04-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidad01 (Post 22404572)
This^^^

Calgun market place is yhe only one I have seen where a seller boldly advertises a used gun for the price of a new one plus some profit. :rolleyes:

“Rare.”

“Custom”

riderr 12-04-2018 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidad01 (Post 22404572)
This^^^

Calgun market place is the only one I have seen where a seller boldly advertises a used gun for the price of a new one plus some profit. :rolleyes:

Colt NM is available at stores for around $1350 give or take a little. There are several in the market place asking $2000 and higher. Go figure. :facepalm:

Ever bought used motorcycles via private sale from the fellow riders? ;) I can guarantee you unforgettable experience and an ocean of emotions :)

DrewN 12-04-2018 1:12 PM

I'm in the "wait until I move" phase My wife has been pushing to live near her bestie, who is relocating to Austin from Maui. I'd rather cut off my own **** then move to Maui, but Austin,while not perfect, is a hell of a lot better than Ca. There must be some surrounding areas that are still at least a little "Old Texas".

jeffyhog 12-04-2018 1:16 PM

People spend a lot on all the Black Friday and Christmas sales. Great discounts on new guns drive down the prices on used guns. People are busy with other things and they're not shopping the classifieds.

I've picked up some great deals in the past between Thanksgiving and Christmas as its a buyers market.

trackcage 12-04-2018 1:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mmContagion (Post 22404451)

[.....snip.....]

My price is high fair side and I expect someone to offer less, but again I’m in no rush. The right buyer will come along eventually.

Hello Pot, meet Kettle.

Read: I'll find the right sucker eventually.

Two Nuggets 12-04-2018 1:23 PM

There are some fair sellers out there with good deals. I can attest to having the luck of meeting a couple.

Demo2A 12-04-2018 1:23 PM

I tried trading someone my brand new vepr for their used 7.62x39 ar. His used price is cheaper than my new price, even by "market prices."
He wanted for $ extra for trade because in his mind 7.62 is cheaper ammo than .223/5.56 ammo. (I compared, it might be at max $1 cheaper for same amount, but more deals with the 223/556). I passed.
He dropped the price of his weapon by $150 in couple days....

Stuff like this i don't get.

ar15barrels 12-04-2018 1:26 PM

I'm spending my extra money on a property outside of CA for the next few years.
Once I have the new property established with a house, I'll start looking at what I can buy there that I can't buy here.

hermosabeach 12-04-2018 1:26 PM

Same deal in 1994 when the Democrat / Clinton Assault weapon bill passed

Sales dropped
Ranges emptied in 1995-97

SAD338 12-04-2018 1:27 PM

It seems like these threads just keeping popping up every couple weeks or so.

Demo2A 12-04-2018 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar15barrels (Post 22404786)
I'm spending my extra money on a property outside of CA for the next few years.
Once I have the new property established with a house, I'll start looking at what I can buy there that I can't buy here.

Ive been looking at run down places under $2k outside ca in low property tax states with gun friendliness, found a few.

nickleplatedbrass 12-04-2018 2:08 PM

Spending my $$ on ammo.

CAL.BAR 12-04-2018 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IVC (Post 22404060)
This is the crux - are they really "fair priced?"

Most of what I've seen in classifieds is overpriced. Offering a Gen 4 Glock for $800 and Gen 3 for $450-$500 is a good example. Why would anyone who is looking for their first gun buy either? There is nothing special about Gen 4 and saving $50 on a used Gen 3 is a huge risk with all the bubba-smiths.

Exactly. Every day I see ads for ammo ABOVE retail. WOW! Let me get right on that. Sure the guns aren't any better.

ChuckDizzle 12-04-2018 2:51 PM

The economy is slowing. The numbers aren't in yet, but we are looking at more fed rate hikes and home values in CA have dropped up to 10% in some places.

Califpatriot 12-04-2018 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pethouse (Post 22403818)
Anyone else notice how soft private sales have been ? I see some nice pieces at fair prices just sitting, unwanted. Perhaps past fears had the effect of pushing forward previous purchases that folks would have normally waited to make now.

Don't know, but it seems buying appetite is way down, not just on handguns, but also on rifles that utilize an external magazine, even rimfires. Galvin Newsom fears ?

FWIW.. this is an observation from a guy with several pieces for sale now.

Your prices aren't very good. I've seen SP-01s in mint condition with cocobolo grips and extra mags go for less than $550. The firestars are a niche item. Just because they're off-roster doesn't mean anybody is clamoring to get some old guns that are almost impossible to do any work on if they break.

sfe187 12-04-2018 3:44 PM

Obviously OP you have NOT monitor the marketplace enough. I see great deals snapped up less than an 1/2 hour, good deals are gone within one posting day, average deals can take a week or two and the rest are just bunch of overpriced or sellers looking for that fish, or ads with misinformed dishonest or embellished info hoping some sucker would bite.

Welcome to Calguns.

Two Nuggets 12-04-2018 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfe187 (Post 22405281)
Obviously OP you have NOT monitor the marketplace enough. I see great deals snapped up less than an 1/2 hour, good deals are gone within one posting day, average deals can take a week or two and the rest are just bunch of overpriced or sellers looking for that fish, or ads with misinformed dishonest or embellished info hoping some sucker would bite.

Welcome to Calguns.

Just have to keep your eyes peeled and have a little luck. :)

pethouse 12-04-2018 4:09 PM

Thanks for your thoughts guys/gals.

For the record, my observations are not based on my own pieces for sale. I acknowledge mine are not "deals", but they are in the ballpark for a sincere buyer to inquire or perhaps even make an offer. List price alone isn't the singular decision factor, so is location, availability, ammo break-in costs, tax consideration, bargaining, side sweetners, etc. I watch the marketplace very frequently and my purchasing experience here is far beyond my iTrader rating.

I think this discussion is a valid one because I don't see that our Calif 2A community is really growing; and our members are constantly under increasing financial, societal, regulatory and legal assault.

Thanks again

EvoXguy 12-04-2018 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFancyPants (Post 22403851)
Could just be many people here have decided not to buy anything else until they move out of the state, if that's their plan. I know that's the boat I'm in. I haven't bought anything in a long while and don't plan to. I also have a couple pistols listed for sale that haven't moved, but I don't always bump the threads because I forget about them. If they don't sell no sweat, I don't mind taking them with me. They might end up on Gunbroker.

Exactly this. I'm already putting away for when we get to free state and can buy new guns at legit prices.

Steve1968LS2 12-04-2018 4:14 PM

Roster guns are boring

Off roster guns are overpriced

ARs are dirt cheap new so why buy used

It's Christmas so people are spending on the holidays and not guns

That about cover it? :)