Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Turner's Outdoorsman (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Forced to buy lock despite having approved lockbox and receipt (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1559531)

WHH 09-17-2019 3:54 PM

Forced to buy lock despite having approved lockbox and receipt
 
This is for a long gun purchase at the Corona Turners. The guy behind the counter knew the rules, but the manager insisted that a DOJ approved lockbox doesn't count (despite being clearly spelled out on the safe affidavit), forcing me to buy a lock. It's insane that someone charged with correctly following federal and state law in the sale of firearms would be unable to figure this out. Either that or they are willing to lie to make $6. Either way, it will be my last trip to Turners. I should have listened to the people on the forums.

wtcam 09-17-2019 4:42 PM

That is one of the factors that made me decide I'm done with them.

Black306 09-17-2019 5:16 PM

I was told the a similar story when buying a CZ from another firearms store this weekend; the lock that CZs come with is not CA approved. Sounded like BS to me.

Any truth to that?

DaLarr 09-17-2019 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black306 (Post 23421113)
I was told the a similar story when buying a CZ from another firearms store this weekend; the lock that CZs come with is not CA approved. Sounded like BS to me.

Any truth to that?

I was hit with that same line! I call BS and Turner's is doing something shady.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hunterb 09-17-2019 7:11 PM

Turner's lol. I will literally drive an extra 45 minutes to avoid them. There are countless threads on how crappy and amazingly slow they are.

I don't know too many guns stores in your area OP.
But 2AZone in ranch cucamonga has a stellar reputation.

Even Ammo Bros is Ontario is better, and I'm not a big fan of Ammo Bros.

WHH 09-17-2019 8:17 PM

Done business with 2A Zone and they are great. This was for the $300 Howa 1500 deal Turner’s was running. Not sure it was worth it.

sealocan 09-17-2019 9:49 PM

^ I think you mean this was for the $306 Howa 1500 deal they were offering.


:)

Because they are a bigger chain store, that can buy in bulk, imagine how cheap each one of those "must have" locks cost them. Around a dollar or less.

:no:

They would have made much more than that measly $5 rip off scam from of you in the future and now you'll probably never go back.

BruceR 09-17-2019 10:14 PM

A small gun store I used to frequent very neatly handled the lock issue by giving everyone a free lock. This met the legal requirement perfectly. Of course, no one ever actually took the lock as we all knew what the deal was.

Romeo_alpha01 09-17-2019 10:18 PM

Had the same thing happen to me at Ammo Bros in Cerritos today. I think a lot of the jargon on the safe affidavit is vague to some employees, but because I had to be back at work I had no time to debate over it.

Yodaman 09-18-2019 7:38 AM

Turners suuuuuucks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hermosabeach 09-18-2019 9:24 AM

We, the gun owners, destroy local gun shops

baih777 09-18-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black306 (Post 23421113)
I was told the a similar story when buying a CZ from another firearms store this weekend; the lock that CZs come with is not CA approved. Sounded like BS to me.

Any truth to that?

Me too.

The War Wagon 09-18-2019 11:56 AM

I have at least a dozen of 'em in a cardboard box. Pay for the postage and you can have 'em for free. :rolleyes:

pacrat 09-19-2019 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 (Post 23422074)
Had the same thing happen to me at Ammo Bros LIARS in Cerritos today. I think a lot of the jargon on the safe affidavit is vague to some employees, but because I had to be back at work I had no time to debate over it.

FIFY

They know perfectly well what the 2 laws concerning locks are.

Prior to receiving a delivery of brand new box of cheap chinese locks in 2015. With their name on the package. They complied with both Ca/FSD and Fed/CSLA.

Afterwards, they fabricated a LIE to blame ATF, for their own policy of deceitful deflection to blame ATF for their own actions.

Boris 09-22-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHH (Post 23420810)
This is for a long gun purchase at the Corona Turners. The guy behind the counter knew the rules, but the manager insisted that a DOJ approved lockbox doesn't count (despite being clearly spelled out on the safe affidavit), forcing me to buy a lock. It's insane that someone charged with correctly following federal and state law in the sale of firearms would be unable to figure this out. Either that or they are willing to lie to make $6. Either way, it will be my last trip to Turners. I should have listened to the people on the forums.

You didn't mention it, but did you have the receipt? If not, that's why. A safe just needs your sworn signature; a cabinet or lockbox needs a receipt.

Sanderhawk 09-22-2019 2:44 PM

Turners has been doing this for years.

edgerly779 09-22-2019 3:22 PM

There are a couple other threads about this on here. I just did a dros at gretas and same story safe affidavit no longer valid. Must have or buy a lock. Gretas let me bring one from vehicle and show it to them and fill out back of safe form which is for lock. Same thing happened to other cusiomer at same time and same thing happened at guns direct a while back.

WHH 09-23-2019 9:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 23435994)
You didn't mention it, but did you have the receipt? If not, that's why. A safe just needs your sworn signature; a cabinet or lockbox needs a receipt.

Sorry... I put it in the title but not the main text. I had the receipt with me. Their claim was that "a lockbox is not a gun safe and so it doesn't count." I even had a print out of the CADOJ website that said the box was good to go. I have a policy of not arguing with idiots in public, and I had other things to do, so I bought the lock. It helped that the guy who was helping me knew his boss was wrong and at least made an attempt to explain it to him.

Theblackseven 09-25-2019 12:51 PM

Not just Turner’s doing this, Ammo Bros (Cerritos) is stating the same thing and it must be a new lock no less than 30 days old and show proof of receipt or purchase a lock from them for $10. Guess we’ll have a pile of useless locks if PPT in the future.

keith1911 09-25-2019 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theblackseven (Post 23446056)
Not just Turnerís doing this, Ammo Bros (Cerritos) is stating the same thing and it must be a new lock no less than 30 days old and show proof of receipt or purchase a lock from them for $10. Guess weíll have a pile of useless locks if PPT in the future.

Uhh...been this way for years. This isn't a new requirement.

lexo98 11-01-2019 10:25 PM

I picked up my ppt the other day and when I got home I noticed they didnít even give me the lock they made me buy.

therealnickb 11-01-2019 10:30 PM

I was pursuing in turners a few days ago. San Marcos. I heard an employee say “we charge $.01 for a lock” so...

A penny.

Cheaper than keeping safe affidavits I assume?

Rakso 11-07-2019 3:32 PM

Got shafted also, twice. Once at temcula store when picking up PPT wasr10, then in Corona when doing CZsp01 PPT. So I guess ADD $5+tax for every transfer. Pathetic

Rakso 11-07-2019 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHH (Post 23421686)
Done business with 2A Zone and they are great. This was for the $300 Howa 1500 deal Turnerís was running. Not sure it was worth it.

If it wasn't I will take it from you for $306 so you can get your money back. :D

SomeGuy75 11-10-2019 8:05 PM

I had an FFL make me buy a lock. It was Sportsmans Warehouse. I went out to my vehicle, legally secured my firearm, and walked back in with my receipt and returned the lock.

srt2806 11-10-2019 8:12 PM

Buy lock at walmart or big five few days before pick up date, show up with lock and receipt on pick up day, return lock to store.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.