Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Non-California Permits/Licenses (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=378)
-   -   North Dakota went Full Retard! (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1758332)

Baja Daze 11-18-2021 12:18 AM

North Dakota went Full Retard!

So recent legislation in North Dakota this year has eliminated the recognition of all non-resident permits! Not sure what prompted this action, but wanted to warn everybody.

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/67...0774-04000.pdf

An individual may carry a firearm concealed under this chapter if the individual qualifies for reciprocity under section 62.1 - 04 - 03.1 and the individual has the equivalent of a class 2 firearm and dangerous weapon license from the state in which the individual is a resident.

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/67...ns/ba1293.html

North Dakota does have permitless carry... for legal residents of North Dakota ONLY!

Robotron2k84 11-18-2021 8:14 AM

Saw that on my legal heat app.

Wasn’t planning a trip to ND, but I’ll make sure if I traverse the area to stay in SD.

BAJ475 11-18-2021 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja Daze (Post 26369701)
So recent legislation in North Dakota this year has eliminated the recognition of all non-resident permits! Not sure what prompted this action, but wanted to warn everybody.

An individual may carry a firearm concealed under this chapter if the individual qualifies for reciprocity under section 62.1 - 04 - 03.1 and the individual has the equivalent of a class 2 firearm and dangerous weapon license from the state in which the individual is a resident.

North Dakota does have permitless carry... for legal residents of North Dakota ONLY!

Looks like they decided to not recognize permits from states the do not recognize ND permits. Edit: Checking my CCW App, ND offers non resident permits but only to residents of states who have reciprocity with ND.

SkyHawk 11-18-2021 7:41 PM

The reciprocity thing is stupid. Do they think they are going to change the minds of CA rulers to recognize their permits?

And why punish those of us with permits who are at the mercy of CA rulers?

BAJ475 11-18-2021 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyHawk (Post 26372495)
The reciprocity thing is stupid. Do they think they are going to change the minds of CA rulers to recognize their permits?

I would not say stupid but fully agree that it merely punishes those who already have to endure the policies of libtard CA rulers. ND's problem is that they fail to recognize that CA rulers do not care if CA permits are not recognized anywhere else because reciprocity does not fit with their anti gun agenda. It would be better if ND did not tie non resident permits to reciprocity but to simply having a permit from one's state of residence, as Idaho does with respect to its enhanced permit.

Big Jake 11-20-2021 5:14 AM

How many of us actually go to ND anyway? I was there this summer and saw this. Carry on!

GlockN'Roll 11-20-2021 6:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyHawk (Post 26372495)

The reciprocity thing is stupid.

Do they think they are going to change the minds of CA rulers to recognize their permits?

It is all part of the so-called free-state myth.

If it was truly a 2nd amendment supporting free-state,

they would be glad to help Californians (all out of staters for that matter) seeking to protect themselves while in their state... :oji:

Sadly, it was on our wish list to visit.

We may have to adjust our plans accordingly...

press1280 11-20-2021 8:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja Daze (Post 26369701)

I have to believe this was a pretty bad mistake on their part. Hopefully they clean this up next legislative session; best way would be just extend ConCarry to non residents

BAJ475 11-20-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by press1280 (Post 26377066)
I have to believe this was a pretty bad mistake on their part. Hopefully they clean this up next legislative session; best way would be just extend ConCarry to non residents

Why do you believe that it was a mistake? It only adversely affects CA, OR, HI, IL, MD, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA and VT. VT does not issue permits and allows those with ND permits to carry in VT, so they should be excepted under NDs ConCarry law. Since none of these other states allows ND permit holders to carry in their states, why should ND be any different? I doubt that ND is the only state doing this.

GlockN'Roll 11-20-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAJ475 (Post 26377483)

Why do you believe that it was a mistake?

It only adversely affects CA, OR, HI, IL, MD, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA and VT.

VT does not issue permits and allows those with ND permits to carry in VT, so they should be excepted under NDs ConCarry law. Since none of these other states allows ND permit holders to carry in their states, why should ND be any different? I doubt that ND is the only state doing this.

Yeah, alienating the potential visitors/tourists from 20% (11 states) of the other American states seems like a great idea...

Maybe they should put it in the marketing brochures. :D

The reality of free-statism... :rolleyes:

bohoki 11-20-2021 11:13 AM

wow i can normally come up with an analogy but this one is so bizarre i cant think of one that works

california doesnt care hell california doesn't want its citizens leaving the state and spending money on cheaper gas and untaxed wampum

hell if they wanted ccw tourists they could to invite people to bring a holster and have some kind of 30 day permit system with a class for $99.95

BAJ475 11-21-2021 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll (Post 26377591)
Yeah, alienating the potential visitors/tourists from 20% (11 states) of the other American states seems like a great idea...

Maybe they should put it in the marketing brochures. :D

The reality of free-statism... :rolleyes:

Yes, they should recognize permits from other states, including non-resident permits, as these people are most likely 2A supporters. On the other hand, if you do not have a CCW, AR, or two or more semi-auto pistols, stay home, we do not want more libtards.:D

BAJ475 11-21-2021 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohoki (Post 26377724)
wow i can normally come up with an analogy but this one is so bizarre i cant think of one that works

california doesnt care hell california doesn't want its citizens leaving the state and spending money on cheaper gas and untaxed wampum

hell if they wanted ccw tourists they could to invite people to bring a holster and have some kind of 30 day permit system with a class for $99.95

Thirty day permit for $99.95? None of my 4 or 5 year permits cost that much. But it is a moot point. They do not want CCW tourist and some areas do not want local CCWs either. Although, if CA law allowed local sheriffs to issue non resident permits, I expect that many of them would.

ezaircon4jc 11-24-2021 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 (Post 26370367)
Saw that on my legal heat app.

Wasn’t planning a trip to ND, but I’ll make sure if I traverse the area to stay in SD.

Odd... Legal Heat shows the ND restriction but the USCCA reciprocity map doesn't.

hermosabeach 11-24-2021 8:22 PM

I wonder if they have had too many issues with out of state oil workers and shenanigans

Foothills 11-24-2021 8:50 PM

Wyoming is the same way.

As long as everyone still takes Utah non-resident permits...

BAJ475 11-25-2021 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foothills (Post 26390883)
Wyoming is the same way.

As long as everyone still takes Utah non-resident permits...

Everyone? UT non-resident permits are not recognized in HI, CA, OR, CO, NM, ND, MN, IL, MI, PA, FL, SC, MD, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH or ME. NM recognizes AZ, NV & FL, however. MN only recognizes a few states and AZ, UT & FL are not among them. Several states only recognizes resident permits. FL only recognizes resident permits but will issue to non residents. OR does not recognize permits from any other state but may issue to CA, NV, WA & ID residents. For a CA resident with a CA permit, an Enhanced ID permit will get you MN.

Oceanbob 11-25-2021 6:16 PM

That’s too bad.
I was in GrandForks recently for a reunion and I visited a couple of Gun stores.
Incredible inventory of everything. Very nice folks too. !

Bob

ACfixer 11-26-2021 5:56 AM

So basically like Colorado except they allow residents to carry permitless.

This is a problem with CA, not SD. If CA accepted permits from out of state folks with a permit, then SD would accept them in return.

chrifishtopher 11-28-2021 9:59 PM

So does this mean they won't recognize a Utah non-resident permit that I, as a Californian hold?

9Cal_OC 11-28-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrifishtopher (Post 26401242)
So does this mean they won't recognize a Utah non-resident permit that I, as a Californian hold?

Pretty much

chrifishtopher 11-28-2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC (Post 26401282)
Pretty much

I did some reading up on this and it appears not even the state's Attorney General is aware.

https://attorneygeneral.nd.gov/publi...y-other-states

They make no distinction between resident and Non-resident permits on their official reciprocity webpage. That being said I highly doubt any local sheriff or state trooper will be aware of some obscure text in HB 1293 that disallows non-resident permits in a supposed "constitutional carry" state.

Either way, I've never been to nor do I have plans to go to ND any time soon.

9Cal_OC 11-29-2021 6:49 AM

It still hasn’t become law yet, so speculation if it passes, non-resident permits wouldn’t be allowed.

As of now, you’re still g2g.

BAJ475 11-29-2021 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC (Post 26401680)
It still hasn’t become law yet, so speculation if it passes, non-resident permits wouldn’t be allowed.

As of now, you’re still g2g.

I looks to me that it was signed by the Governor on April 22, 2021, so no "if it passes."

BAJ475 11-29-2021 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrifishtopher (Post 26401309)
I did some reading up on this and it appears not even the state's Attorney General is aware.

https://attorneygeneral.nd.gov/publi...y-other-states

They make no distinction between resident and Non-resident permits on their official reciprocity webpage. That being said I highly doubt any local sheriff or state trooper will be aware of some obscure text in HB 1293 that disallows non-resident permits in a supposed "constitutional carry" state.

Either way, I've never been to nor do I have plans to go to ND any time soon.

That may be because the law has not yet become effective.