Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   General gun discussions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Face full of flying gun parts is what I got from my RAW (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1632774)

five.five-six 07-24-2020 5:29 AM

Face full of flying gun parts is what I got from my RAW
 
Had my first KB, it was on an AR15A2 RRA NM H-BAR. It FTE and the next round in slamfired out of battery, blew the bottom plate off the mag along with all the mag guts, ammo and firey burny stuff and the ruptured out of battery casing pieces. None of it actually hit my face. I think I want to replace the BCG, extractor is bent and probably caused the problem. I think I should have a gunsmith look at the barrel adapter.

GunDog 07-24-2020 5:46 AM

Were you using reloaded ammo?

five.five-six 07-24-2020 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunDog (Post 24570388)
Were you using reloaded ammo?

Nope, all factory ammo at that time. I have a bunch of it that Iím trying to run through.

beanz2 07-24-2020 6:00 AM

Ouch! Was the receiver damaged in any way?

Glad you are OK.



.

shafferds 07-24-2020 6:02 AM

I'd replace the whole upper.

Joefear7 07-24-2020 6:07 AM

:useless:

-hanko 07-24-2020 6:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 24570347)
Had my first KB, it was on an AR15A2 RRA NM H-BAR. It FTE and the next round in slamfired out of battery, blew the bottom plate off the mag along with all the mag guts, ammo and firey burny stuff and the ruptured out of battery casing pieces. None of it actually hit my face. I think I want to replace the BCG, extractor is bent and probably caused the problem. I think I should have a gunsmith look at the barrel adapter.

I think you should have a gunsmith look at all aspects of the rifle. :confused:

pythonfan 07-24-2020 6:28 AM

If your leaving it with the gunsmith make sure they have the proper AW license. Glad to hear your ok OP.

The War Wagon 07-24-2020 6:30 AM

RRA is JUST as good as any $2,000 rifle! :o

five.five-six 07-24-2020 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shafferds (Post 24570417)
I'd replace the whole upper.

Nope

Gowking 07-24-2020 7:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 24570347)
I think I should have a gunsmith look at the barrel adapter.

Barrel adapter? Do you mean the barrel extension?

Spyder 07-24-2020 7:18 AM

Check upper and lower receivers for cracks. Replace bent parts. Continue as usual.

five.five-six 07-24-2020 7:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gowking (Post 24570639)
Barrel adapter? Do you mean the barrel extension?

Yes, that part.

five.five-six 07-24-2020 7:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joefear7 (Post 24570437)
:useless:


I could be wrong about what happened, this it just my best guess.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/sCpi9r.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/LdGe3T.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/93n0sS.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/JHqeAe.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/HRE8tk.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/LA1aux.jpg

five.five-six 07-24-2020 7:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The War Wagon (Post 24570503)
RRA is JUST as good as any $2,000 rifle! :o


I donít know who said that, but RRA does make some good stuff, better than middle of the road.

IIRC, when I put that rifle together, I wanted an A2 and they one I found was the RRA NM H-BAR but it came without a BCG and I was never all that thrilled about the one I got. It looked like it had been staked by a cave man with a sledge hammer.

FeuerFrei 07-24-2020 8:32 AM

Never actually seen a case head rupture except on the internet and I'm not done reading it yet.

This is why we wear eye protection.

five.five-six 07-24-2020 8:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Caveman stake job

The War Wagon 07-24-2020 9:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 24570713)
I could be wrong about what happened, this it just my best guess.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/sCpi9r.jpg


I WANNA BUY THAT MAG BODY - SERIOUSLY!!!


I've been looking for an aluminum mag body for a while for a project - PM inbound! :oji:

tnlrat37 07-24-2020 9:32 AM

Had a KB like that happen to me in the Marines in Somalia in a firefight. It was at night and when I fired it sounded like a shotgun. Had powder burns on my face, ejector and dust cover blew off. Mag plate blew off, rounds dumped on the ground. Upper and lower receiver were cracked.

A little disheartening to have rounds coming downrange and all you have is a paperweight. So I made the most of it, I had a prototype ACOG at the time and used my nvgís up to the ACOG to help the Machine gunners next to me get on target because they couldnít see anything. Just walked there tracers on target.

Be sure to have someone qualified check for small cracks everywhere, some of mine were very hard to see. It was beyond repair and trashed after. Good luck.

splithoof 07-24-2020 9:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeuerFrei (Post 24570919)

This is why we wear eye protection.

So very true!
Yet I constantly see many shooters (some ďprofessionalsĒ) who donít. Many are mostly using bolt rifles, but Iíve seen it with every weapon type.
Iíve seen on Instagram, shooters from major manufacturers actually firing weapons with no eye protection, yet in nearly all their published literature they espouse how important it is. What is with this?
Iíve never had a KABOOM, but Iíve seen it in person, and had plenty of lead splatter and powder burns. I ALWAYS wear eye protection.

Would someone please explain to me why so many of these so-called ďexpertsĒ arenít using any???

redcliff 07-24-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 24570347)
It FTE and the next round in slamfired out of battery,

I'm trying to understand the sequence of events. You had a failure to extract of a spent cartridge? And then presumably after clearing that spent cartridge you dropped the bolt on a fresh round in the magazine which failed to fully chamber and the rifle fired out of battery (as opposed to you pulling the trigger)?

If so it sounds like the chamber was obstructed from a remnant of the cartridge that failed to extract, preventing the full seating of the kaboom round or the extractor had a piece of brass stuck in it that prevented the fresh cartridge from seating fully against the bolt face. The question then becomes what caused the firing pin to move forward prematurely with enough force to ignite the round?

Obviously we chamber rounds all the time in our AR15's without the firing pin causing a slam-fire. Is there a reduced pull weight trigger/hammer set up involved?

What brand of ammo was it? Approximate round count on the barrel/bolt? And had head-space ever been checked?

five.five-six 07-24-2020 10:34 AM

I think you can see in the picture it says Winchester on the cartridge that I ended up crying out of the chamber after the kaboom. My working theory is that it didn't extract after firing and the next round was somehow set off on its way in period

hermosabeach 07-24-2020 10:36 AM

KB’s happen. The ammo company might pay to fix your rifle.


I would contact the ammo manufacturer and include the ammo lot number on the flap of the box

jarhead714 07-24-2020 10:43 AM

I’d wager 6-8 months wait time for a new NM A2 upper from Rock River.

redcliff 07-24-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 24571447)
I think you can see in the picture it says Winchester on the cartridge that I ended up crying out of the chamber after the kaboom. My working theory is that it didn't extract after firing and the next round was somehow set off on its way in period

Thank you for the clarification. Sorry for your bad luck.

IVC 07-24-2020 11:34 AM

The way the primer is cratered it almost looks like the tip of the bullet hit the primer of the chambered round and caused it to go off.

Cratering usually happens around over-pressured rounds and is something we look for when loading, e.g., "9 major". The metal of the primer cup "flows" around the firing pin as the primer is pushed backwards by the (over)pressure and creates what looks like a crater, but the size of the crater is the size of the firing pin. In the photo, that crater looks like the primer was pushed over a huge object, likely the bullet.

alpha_romeo_XV 07-24-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The War Wagon (Post 24571081)
I WANNA BUY THAT MAG BODY - SERIOUSLY!!!
I've been looking for an aluminum mag body for a while for a project - PM inbound! :oji:

I thought you were an old guy. Aluminum body Colt and Bushmaster mag's were a dime a dozen 20 years ago - but I ain't selling mine.

five.five-six 07-24-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcliff (Post 24571542)
Thank you for the clarification. Sorry for your bad luck.

Thank you but I don't Considerate bad luck at all

Both of my eyes still work, my face isn't any uglier than it was before and I still have full function of all the pointy things on the ends of my hands I call that good luck

five.five-six 07-24-2020 12:55 PM

I took the upper 2A retired gun Smith who has been through the Colt armor school for AR15. After inspection he told me to replace the extractor and Extractor Spring and bring it back to him to check the head space.

I actually did fire a few rounds with a different BCG right away after this happened and then I thought to myself: "self, You should probably have this looked at by a real gun Smith before you shoot it anymore"

The Tiger 07-24-2020 1:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 24571014)
Caveman stake job

Jeezsh, you weren't kidding.

ar15barrels 07-24-2020 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 24570400)
Nope, all factory ammo at that time. I have a bunch of it that Iím trying to run through.

I'm going with Federal...

Garand Hunter 07-24-2020 1:50 PM

BLESSED I would call it ! Years ago I had a mod 38 6.55 Swede mauser blow up in my face at the Concord rifle range due to a accidental 30-06 powder charge in the 6.5 case. I blinked and said " I can still see " ! I thanked the Lord All mighty right away. And no I do not load 6.5 Swede anymore. Its good to read that you are ok ! Stove pipes are VERY dangerous potentially.

Psalm 1

sigstroker 07-24-2020 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shafferds (Post 24570417)
I'd replace the whole upper.

This. The lower is invaluable, don't take any chances with it.

ojisan 07-24-2020 3:13 PM

Did you find any remains of the feeding round that set off the round in the chamber?

The War Wagon 07-24-2020 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV (Post 24571721)
I thought you were an old guy. Aluminum body Colt and Bushmaster mag's were a dime a dozen 20 years ago - but I ain't selling mine.

I am. :oji: I have over 400 30rd. mags, but I need JUST a mag body for a project. I don't want to sacrifice a GOOD mag - a blowed-up one will do just fine!

ar15barrels 07-24-2020 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 24570713)
I could be wrong about what happened, this it just my best guess.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/JHqeAe.jpg

That's NOT an out-of-battery pressure event.
That case was FULLY in battery when the case blew up.

I can tell because of how the flow of the brass went into the ejector hole and extractor cut.
If the gun was out-of-battery, the case would not be seated in the boltface and the case would have yielded forward of the case head where the case wall gets real thin.

five.five-six 07-24-2020 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar15barrels (Post 24573137)
That's NOT an out-of-battery pressure event.
That case was FULLY in battery when the case blew up.

I can tell because of how the flow of the brass went into the ejector hole and extractor cut.
If the gun was out-of-battery, the case would not be seated in the boltface and the case would have yielded forward of the case head where the case wall gets real thin.


Thatís right in line with what my armorer said. And even matched up the blown out parts of the brass with the extractor and ejector locations on the bolt. The question is: how did it happen because thatís not a light primer strike like you see in slamfires, the primer strike is what made me think there was another round behind it? The question is: how did it get that heavy primer strike out of battery?

His thinking is that the firing pin became stuck and acted like an open bolt; KB; sent BCG into the receiver extension and the spring sent it back home where it was stuck hard when I got to it.


The only thing I am 100% sure about is that I donít like it at all, not one little bit.

deckhandmike 07-24-2020 6:32 PM

As a lefty that scares the crap out of me. I fear the day a gun explodes across my face.

still919 07-24-2020 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 24572015)
Thank you but I don't Considerate bad luck at all

Both of my eyes still work, my face isn't any uglier than it was before and I still have full function of all the pointy things on the ends of my hands I call that good luck

Nicely put. I don't like hearing about these things, but these types of things need to be heard. Thanks for sharing. I hope newer enthusiasts are tuning in.

five.five-six 07-24-2020 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by still919 (Post 24573547)
Nicely put. I don't like hearing about these things, but these types of things need to be heard. Thanks for sharing. I hope newer enthusiasts are tuning in.

Yes!
And I want to find out what caused this to happen.

Iíll be the first to admit Iím not the sharpest tool in the shed but Iíve put 10ís of thousands or rounds down range and I really donít know what caused this to happen this time as opposed to any other time. Thatís the reason for all the effort into this RCA.

I removed the extractor and the ejector and it fits like a glove.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/v4LfhZ.jpg

You can see where it flowed into the ejector cavity and you can see a gaping hole next to the primer and see light through, that light arena is actually the table behind my hand and the shell casting.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/nBWMjb.jpg

Offhand measurement says it was about 72 thousands out of battery at the time of KB
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/oFlDlo.jpg


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.