Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Survival and Preparations (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=297)
-   -   What medical supplies to keep stocked at home for post event? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1805225)

TheChief 07-04-2022 5:08 PM

What medical supplies to keep stocked at home for post event?

I was an EMT 30 years ago and am a current WFR and have built a kit based on my skill set and what I am willing to do post-event. The list below is what I am working towards having at my home and BOL. It is not intended for carrying or having in the vehicle.

I have a number of large rugged bins that I had used to contain all the extra first aid gear I had accumulated over the past decade going through training and being the first aider for a number of multi-night events for hundreds of campers. I was giving some thought to what I would want to have in stock should an event occur and I wanted to provide health and trauma coverage for my family and neighbors, when hospitals were no longer available. The list below is what I came up with based on my capabilities and what I would be willing to do. The list only contains items, not numbers. I am still working up that part of the effort but if you use the list as the basis for your supplies, you will need to use your own numbers based on your circumstances.

So while I know internal bleeding and some gun shots are beyond my skills, I would try to treat a sucking chest wound, lacerations, broken bones, skin infections and other injuries that may occur and would be deadly but for proper care someone like me could provide to my family and neighbors. Think what doctors could do back in the 1800's but with germ theory, hygiene, and antibiotics.

Wound Care
• Dressings, Pads, and Sponges
  • Gauze, 2" x 2", sterile
  • Gauze, 4" x 4", sterile
  • Gauze sponge, 3” x 3”, non-sterile
  • Gauze sponge, 4” x 4”, non-sterile
  • Gauze rolls, 3”
  • Gauze rolls, 4”
  • Combine/Trauma/ABD 5" x 9"
  • Combine/Trauma/ABD, 8" x 10"
  • Combine/Trauma/ABD, 12” x 30”
  • Z-folded, compressed, sterile, gauze, 4.5” x 4.1 yards
  • Band-Aids, misc. sizes
  • Oval Eye Pad
  • Occlusive Dressing, 2.375” x 2.75”
  • Occlusive Dressing, 4” x 4.75”
  • Occlusive Dressing, 6” x 8”
• Bandages
  • Cohesive Bandage 2” x 5 yards
  • Medium Trauma/Combat Bandage
  • Large Trauma/Combat Bandage
• Tape
  • Silk tape 1” x 10’
  • Silk tape 2” x 10’
  • Steri-strip ľ” x 3”
  • Steri-strip Ĺ” x 4”
• Closures
  • Nylon Suture, 3/0
  • Nylon Suture, 5/0
  • Forceps - Mayo Hegar Needle Holder
  • Irrigation Syringe, 60 mL, Luer lock
  • Irrigation tips, Luer lock
  • Skin stapler and remover

Infection Control
• BSI
  • XL medical grade nitrile gloves
  • LG medical grade nitrile gloves
  • SM medical grade nitrile gloves
  • Masks
  • Face shields
  • CPR barriers
  • Biohazard bags
• Antiseptic
  • Clorox bleach (Dakin’s solution and materials)
  • Benzoin tincture
  • Iosopropyl alcohol (bottle)
  • Isopropyl alcohol wipes
  • Povidone-Iodine wipes
  • Povidone-Iodine surgical scrub brush/sponge
• Antibiotics
  • Trible antibiotic ointment

OTCs - Get something for each category, not each item in the category ;)
• Pain
  • Ibuprofen (Motrin)
  • Aspirin
  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol, Paracetamol)
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
• Swelling (Anti-Inflammatory)
  • Ibuprofen (Motrin)
  • Aspirin
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
• Fever (Antipyretic)
  • Ibuprofen (Motrin)
  • Aspirin
  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol, Paracetamol)
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
• Flu and Cold (combined treatments)
• Cough/Expectorant
  • Guaifenesin (Mucinex, common add to flu or severe cold OTCs)
  • Menthol (Vicks)
  • ‘DM’ combines Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin
• Decongestant
  • Dextromethorphan (Robitussin, common add to flu or severe cold OTCs)
  • ‘DM’ combines Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin
• Decongestant (Nasal)
  • Oxymetazoline (Afrin, Dristan, Vicks Sinus Nasal Spray)
  • Phenylephrine (Neo-Synephrine, Sinex, Sudafed PE)
  • Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
• Antihistamine (allergies)
  • Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)(will cause drowsiness)
  • Desloratadine (Clarinex)
  • Loratadine (Claritin)
  • Cetirizine (Zyrtec)
  • Fexofenadine (Allegra)
  • Levocetirizine (Xyzal)
• Antacids (heartburn)
  • Magnesium hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia)
  • Bismuth Salicylate (Bismuth)
  • Cimetidine (Tagamet)
  • Calcium Carbonate (TUMS)
• Anti-Diarrheal
  • Loperamide (Diamode or Ultra A-D)
• Upset Stomach
  • Calcium Carbonate (TUMS)
• Laxative
  • Bisacodyl (Dulcolax)
• Anesthetic (topical pain killer)
  • Lidocaine (not for mucosal tissue!)
  • Benzocaine (used for oral pain)
  • Bactine (antiseptic and lidocaine)
• Antifungal (athletes’ foot, jock itch, ring worm, thrush, yeast infection)
  • Tolnaftate (not for mucosal tissue!)
  • Clotrimazole (Lotrimin, Monistat))
• Skin Treatment (rash, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis)
  • Hydrocortisone (Cortizone-10)(topical steroid)
  • Calamine (lotion, Caladryl)
  • Gold Bond
• Bug bite
  • Sting Eze
  • After-bite
  • Hydrocortisone (Cortizone-10)(topical steroid)
• Dehydration Related
  • Pedialyte (powder)
  • Liquid IV (powder)
  • Electrolyte tablets

Bleeding Control
  • Tourniquets (C-A-T)
  • Z-Fold dressings
  • Hemostatic agents (Quikclot, Celot)
  • Skin glue (Mastisol)
  • Trauma shears

Burn Management
  • Sunscreen
  • Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
  • Petrolatum Gauze
  • Burn gel dressing 3” x 4”
  • Burn gel ointment (bottle)
  • Burn gel ointment (individual dose)
  • Aloe Vera Gel with Lidocaine, 1 oz
  • GlacierGel, Blister & Burn Dressing
  • Moleskin
  • Blister Pads
  • Sterile Hypodermic Needles

Ortho
  • SAM Splints (36” and finger)
  • Splinting materials
  • Bandage, Triangular, Cravat
  • Ace wraps
  • Ice packs

Dental (more research needed)
  • Anbesol (bottle)
  • Temporary Cavity Filling Mixture
  • Dental pick set
  • Floss
  • Dental mirror
  • Dental extracting forceps

Misc.
  • Glass thermometer (mercury or alcohol)
  • Sharpies
  • Pen and notepad in a sealed Ziploc bag
  • Pen light spare batteries
  • Casualty blanket
  • Hot/cold water bottle
  • 4 liters – Sterile saline
  • 2x magnifying glasses
  • 4x magnifying glasses
  • Forceps - Magill (bent oral)
  • Forceps - Bent and straight
  • Forceps - Hemostats (locking)
  • Forceps - Tweezers, needle
  • Forceps - Scissors
  • Probe
  • Q-tips
  • NPA (Nasopharyngeal airway)
  • OPA (Oropharyngeal airway)
  • Bug Spray
  • Eye wash unit
  • Tongue depressor
  • Bulb suction syringe

Vinnie Boombatz 07-04-2022 5:15 PM

Nope. All I carry in my car, range bag or when I go hiking is a tourniquet, trauma shears, quick clot gauze and a CPR mask along with a couple 4x4's and some super glue and a couple pair of gloves. If you need more than that in the moment you'r probably not going to survive, and if you need less you can probably get yourself to the ER yourself or via someone else without dying. Keeping a bunch of gauze, saline and tape is false insurance, but that's just my opinion, of course!

bruss01 07-04-2022 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz (Post 27051387)
Nope. All I carry in my car, range bag or when I go hiking is a tourniquet, trauma shears, quick clot gauze and a CPR mask along with a couple 4x4's and some super glue and a couple pair of gloves. If you need more than that in the moment you'r probably not going to survive, and if you need less you can probably get yourself to the ER yourself or via someone else without dying. Keeping a bunch of gauze, saline and tape is false insurance, but that's just my opinion, of course!

I can see your point, and it is a good point for normal times where 1st world medical attention is mere minutes or hours away.

I believe OP is referring to extraordinary times where medical help like that is unavailable, available only after great delay, or where the treatment being offered, or terms of service, are unacceptable.

Previous to 2020 such concerns would have been labeled "tinfoil hat" material. But now we realize care is not just between doctors and patients... and that pharmacies can decline to provide medicines prescribed by the patient's doctor. That medical boards can threaten to revoke a doctor's license for speaking their mind, for pursuing treatment for their patients that they believe offers the most effective course for a good outcome.

On top of that, we now see global supply line disruptions where crucial medical materials and medications may suddenly be unavailable that are otherwise taken for granted.

If a "woke" hospital refuses to treat your injury/ailment because of something "hateful" or offensive you posted online, what are your options? They are already threatening to deny your lifesaving 2A rights for that exact reason. You think they won't go further? They can be trusted to stop here?

There are "far out" questions we are now having to grapple with because the medical establishment has decided they can deny lifesaving procedures to people who don't surrender their bodily autonomy to whatever the medical authoritarians deem is "best".

So, call me paranoid but before you do, reflect a moment that 85% of the headlines for the past 2 years would have been called "paranoid" prior to 2020.

user120312 07-04-2022 7:42 PM

IMO, supplies would depend on location, risk assessment and group involved. Myself, I pulled the employee medical kit out of the shop, combined it with the one already in the truck, added some bulk supplies, mainly antiseptics and superglue, and left it at that.

Last time I was at a doctor was last century and I've made my living in heavy industry my whole life without any significant injury, not to mention auto racing as a hobby and using dangerous power tools routinely away from work.

When one is tens of miles from a hospital and tens of minutes to hours from any ambulance/EMT service, one pays attention to safety. That's a medical kit that costs nothing.

TBH, over the decades, the most used supplies have been antiseptics and superglue, along with some bandages. Most used 'drug' has been generic Aleve. I've got a drug box but never used it. Pharma hasn't had a good customer here.

The lady across the road in Oregon is a retired nurse and she does a lot of herbal stuff too and seems to have a good stock of medical supplies. I'm a good handyman. It works out.

Vinnie Boombatz 07-04-2022 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruss01 (Post 27051582)
I can see your point, and it is a good point for normal times where 1st world medical attention is mere minutes or hours away.

I believe OP is referring to extraordinary times where medical help like that is unavailable, available only after great delay, or where the treatment being offered, or terms of service, are unacceptable.

Previous to 2020 such concerns would have been labeled "tinfoil hat" material. But now we realize care is not just between doctors and patients... and that pharmacies can decline to provide medicines prescribed by the patient's doctor. That medical boards can threaten to revoke a doctor's license for speaking their mind, for pursuing treatment for their patients that they believe offers the most effective course for a good outcome.

On top of that, we now see global supply line disruptions where crucial medical materials and medications may suddenly be unavailable that are otherwise taken for granted.

If a "woke" hospital refuses to treat your injury/ailment because of something "hateful" or offensive you posted online, what are your options? They are already threatening to deny your lifesaving 2A rights for that exact reason. You think they won't go further? They can be trusted to stop here?

There are "far out" questions we are now having to grapple with because the medical establishment has decided they can deny lifesaving procedures to people who don't surrender their bodily autonomy to whatever the medical authoritarians deem is "best".

So, call me paranoid but before you do, reflect a moment that 85% of the headlines for the past 2 years would have been called "paranoid" prior to 2020.

I think you still have that tinfoil hat on. But I'll entertain your point regarding if a "woke" hospital at some point refuses you service. If it's a true life-saving emergency and you need true medical attention you're stockpile of stuff isn't going to do you any good.

If you need actual life saving medical attention from true professionals to save your life I'm pretty sure you're screwed unless you have the actual tools and supplies needed along along with people who actually know how to use it properly. It's like the person who buys a gun and a box of bullets and never goes to the range and has a false sense of security simply because they have that firearm. Same thing with medical equipment. You can acquire all the gear you think you need, but unless you possess the training, experience and critical thinking to know what to actually do and what to use you're simply fooling yourself. But feel free to stock up on band-aids and cause, saline, tape, IV's, antibiotics, etc. and whatever else you think you need to ease your mind.

My point is it is really bad and a true emergency you're probably hosed. Everything else that isn't life threatening isn't going to have the outcome changed by some gauze or a band-aid.

You'd probably get more mileage stocking up on stuff like Benadryl or Immodium and some sort of water purification to minimize something like a severe allergic reaction or diarrhea (which can be life threatening) than you would with a lot of other stuff that's just filler in most first aid kits.

ChuckD 07-04-2022 10:31 PM

I'm not a medical professional, but I was raised by a RN, and got some training from a Corpsman friend.

I carry a tourniquet, quick clot, superglue, 2 suture kits, trauma scissors, splint, extra bandages, a couple IV's & bags of sterile saline, gloves, & a couple bottle of alcohol. I also have a couple antibiotics, pain meds, and extra Atenolol which in an absolute emergency could be given to minimize effects of a heart attack/stroke (I take it daily and it's primary recipient would be me, but in case of a true emergency I would give it a try). I don't have one, but if you can get it an epi-pen or 2 would be useful. I can use all these things - but I'll admit you wouldn't really want me giving you an IV unless you were out of all other options (that said if you really need it - a sore arms from 12 attempts will be the least of your worries).

I feel like the main things you'll have to worry about in a SHTF situation where hospitals are not an option will be gunshot wounds, knife wounds, broken bones from falls, heart attacks/strokes, infections, & dehydration - I think preparing for these things is relatively easy and can increase your chance of survival not just in a SHTF environment but also (for example) on a hunting trip where you are a multiple day hike from civilization.

I do agree that some things are not worth worrying about or preparing for - if you are an insulin dependent diabetic or need actual surgery (say a bullet nicks your liver or your appendix bursts), you are just out of luck.

FeuerFrei 07-05-2022 5:55 AM

This is my checklist for general purpose medical needs. Not complete (on purpose) for this discussion but my list may prime the info pump and encourage some drive by readers to do some research.
I've used all of this stuff at one time or another out here in rural America. We are far enough out that the "golden hour" is used up in drive time unless we are transporting. YOYO until als shows up, so...

Aspirin uncoated plain adult strength plus chewables
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Goody’s Powder form (acetaminophen)
Diphenhydramine
Hydrogen peroxide
91% rubbing alcohol
Betadine
bottled water 1pt sizes
Sugar packets
Salt packets

fabric band aids assorted
4x4 bandages
3x4 rollers
2x3 non stick wound dressing
safety pins
large white cotton dish towels
trauma shears
triple antibiotic ointment
bottle generic eye wash
small size empty spray bottle < 1 pt
swat tourniquet
xxl nitrile gloves
butterfly sutures

sharpie pen
note book
gorilla tape
tweezers
disposable scalpel
BIC disposable razor
BIC lighter
Magnifying glass
Pen light
Head lamp
Spare batts
small size beanie baby ;-)
stress ball ;-)
Popsicle sticks
cloth tape
Super glue
first aid book
xxl t-shirt
13 gallon trash bags
Ziploc sandwich bags
mylar blanket

twinfin 07-05-2022 6:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruss01 (Post 27051582)

Your assessment is absolutely spot on. My family were the victims of a pharmacist, at the behest of a tyrannical state governor, overriding our doctors' prescription for ivermectin, forcing us deeper into the underground medical system to obtain it. Medical tyranny is a real thing and it is here!

Now, back to the Chief's query; there is a very excellent book that details a host of ordinary items that one can stock in order to treat a wide range of maladies when routine options are no longer available. That book is The Doomsday Book of Medicine https://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Book...%2C2223&sr=1-1

It is an excellent reference source for you prepper library that contains, among other things, good lists of things to get now so you can keep small problems small in an uncertain future. I highly recommend it especially if you already have a little bit of medical training and experience.

The physician-author does a superb job of describing a wide range of alternative means of treating a wide range of problems when standard methods are unobtainable. Just as important as basic medical supplies is a good reference library on the shelf to go to when the internet is down, help is unavailable and you need information now. To that end, this book is a must-have in my opinion and has the lists TheChief was asking about.

FeuerFrei 07-05-2022 7:40 AM

Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_There_Is_No_Doctor

Very good read/reference.

mk2dave 07-05-2022 4:33 PM

TheChief, what restraints are we to consider? Is space, mobility, or distance from civilization a concern? When hiking up something big, I rely on 3 triangle bandages, figuring I can improvise a splint, tourney, or bandages if needed. Anything else is considered a luxury.

If you can elaborate on the situation, I think we can give some more directed advice.

castgold 07-05-2022 5:14 PM

Sometimes when I go fishing, we're far from a hospital. I've made kits that contain the following, and every kit has been used, particularly the lidocaine.
Betadine
Lidocaine
Needles/syringes
sutures
gloves
scissors
needle holders
butterfly sutures
tape
gauze

TheChief 07-05-2022 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk2dave (Post 27053856)
TheChief, what restraints are we to consider? Is space, mobility, or distance from civilization a concern? When hiking up something big, I rely on 3 triangle bandages, figuring I can improvise a splint, tourney, or bandages if needed. Anything else is considered a luxury.

If you can elaborate on the situation, I think we can give some more directed advice.

Hello MK2Dave,

This question is geared to sheltering in place either at home or the BOL with lots of space for storage. As I mentioned, I am a former EMT and current WFR so all my kits are based on what I know and can treat today. I am not asking about surgical instruments or a pharmacy, but rather what others with medical training are stocking at there home for long periods without support from hospitals or Docs. So while I know internal bleeding and some gun shots are beyond my skills, I would try to treat a sucking chest wound, lacerations, broken bones, skin infections and other injuries that may occur and would be deadly but for proper care someone like me could provide to my family and neighbors. Think what doctors could do back in 1800's but with germ theory, hygiene, and antibiotics.

While not my intended topic, I also have a large trauma bag, that I know how to use, to throw in the truck if I have to bug out and a smaller but well stocked one if I have to go on foot.

My medical skills are part of what I have to offer communities if I have to do the long walk or leave my home and BOL.

TheChief 07-05-2022 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinfin (Post 27052149)
...Now, back to the Chief's query; there is a very excellent book that details a host of ordinary items that one can stock in order to treat a wide range of maladies when routine options are no longer available. That book is The Doomsday Book of Medicine https://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Book...%2C2223&sr=1-1

It is an excellent reference source for you prepper library that contains, among other things, good lists of things to get now so you can keep small problems small in an uncertain future. I highly recommend it especially if you already have a little bit of medical training and experience.

The physician-author does a superb job of describing a wide range of alternative means of treating a wide range of problems when standard methods are unobtainable. Just as important as basic medical supplies is a good reference library on the shelf to go to when the internet is down, help is unavailable and you need information now. To that end, this book is a must-have in my opinion and has the lists TheChief was asking about.

Thanks Twinfin,

Just ordered it.

Rickrock1 07-05-2022 6:52 PM

Stich and staple kit

IronsightsRifleman 07-05-2022 9:02 PM

Bactine, which is lidocaine plus a topical anitseptic.
An oral antihistamine (Benadryl).
A topical antihistimine spray (Benadryl).
A decongestant (Sudafed).
An emetic (Ipecac).
A dental anesthetic (Orajel).
Tylenol for fever.
Aleve for muscle pain.
Advil for headache.
Pepto Bismol for GI problems.
Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, bandages, etc.

M76 07-05-2022 9:13 PM

OP - you’re way ahead of the curve over the average person, and the responses on this thread are highly educational; this is good info to have if the S ever HTF.

Thanks

Garand Hunter 07-06-2022 7:09 AM

Anybody ever consider the fish meds sold here and there, I see the websites selling it, not sure if they are safe/effective on us humans ?

www.fishmoxfishflex.com

Psalm 1

FeuerFrei 07-06-2022 8:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garand Hunter (Post 27055246)
Anybody ever consider the fish meds sold here and there, I see the websites selling it, not sure if they are safe/effective on us humans ?

www.fishmoxfishflex.com

Psalm 1

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1801499

mk2dave 07-06-2022 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChief (Post 27054095)
Hello MK2Dave,

This question is geared to sheltering in place either at home or the BOL with lots of space for storage. As I mentioned, I am a former EMT and current WFR so all my kits are based on what I know and can treat today. I am not asking about surgical instruments or a pharmacy, but rather what others with medical training are stocking at there home for long periods without support from hospitals or Docs. So while I know internal bleeding and some gun shots are beyond my skills, I would try to treat a sucking chest wound, lacerations, broken bones, skin infections and other injuries that may occur and would be deadly but for proper care someone like me could provide to my family and neighbors. Think what doctors could do back in 1800's but with germ theory, hygiene, and antibiotics.

While not my intended topic, I also have a large trauma bag, that I know how to use, to throw in the truck if I have to bug out and a smaller but well stocked one if I have to go on foot.

My medical skills are part of what I have to offer communities if I have to do the long walk or leave my home and BOL.

So it sounds like your concerns are trauma, ortho, and infection. Based on your background, you should be good with ortho. Trauma: 4x4s, quick clot bandages, tourneys, chest seals, Isreali bandage if you wanna get fancy. Infection: oral antibiotics (my knowledge here is lacking), topical antibiotics, fair amount of vodka both to drink and disinfect, sting cream, and anything else that will help prevent a small issue from becoming a big issue.

FeuerFrei 07-06-2022 1:05 PM

sticky here. in case it went invisible... again :oji:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=736540

dogtooth 07-06-2022 1:10 PM

Lot of good input. I'd include some fiberglass casting/splinting material in your kit as well. You can get it on Amazon. Easy to use and lasts a long time. Very useful for broken bones you need to immobilize for longer period of time.

Creampuff 07-06-2022 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronsightsRifleman (Post 27054671)
Bactine, which is lidocaine plus a topical anitseptic.
An oral antihistamine (Benadryl).
A topical antihistimine spray (Benadryl).
A decongestant (Sudafed).
An emetic (Ipecac).
A dental anesthetic (Orajel).
Tylenol for fever.
Aleve for muscle pain.
Advil for headache.
Pepto Bismol for GI problems.
Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, bandages, etc.

I'd avoid syrup of ipecac. Rarely to almost never recommended by poison control anymore. Chance of aspiration not worth it, plus charcoal more likely to be effective than ipecac. Plus aleve and advil are both in the same NSAID class, so you can probably consolidate and just keep one or the other.

mk2dave 07-06-2022 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogtooth (Post 27056324)
Lot of good input. I'd include some fiberglass casting/splinting material in your kit as well. You can get it on Amazon. Easy to use and lasts a long time. Very useful for broken bones you need to immobilize for longer period of time.

SAM splints are very useful and arent particularly expensive. Unless you know how to reset bones, you need to see a doctor within 10 days of a broken bone. Otherwise, it starts to heal in place. Then you get to watch three doctor's rebreak your arm. Ask me how I know...

TheChief 07-06-2022 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk2dave (Post 27057172)
SAM splints are very useful and arent particularly expensive. Unless you know how to reset bones, you need to see a doctor within 10 days of a broken bone. Otherwise, it starts to heal in place. Then you get to watch three doctor's rebreak your arm. Ask me how I know...

How do you know?

:chris:

mk2dave 07-07-2022 5:33 PM

I remember it well. Sicily, 1987...

Granted, this all happened when I was but a wee young lad, when bones grow faster. So the timeline may be different for us now. But the consideration still stands. Now if it's the EOTWAWNI, a slightly deformed arm isn't catastrophic, but it aint a good thing either.

GW 07-22-2022 8:05 PM

Lots of pain killers:43:

metalmaster 07-22-2022 8:25 PM

If I don't have insulin stored, nothing else will make any difference

madland 07-28-2022 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalmaster (Post 27103513)

Or in need of weekly dialysis.

Librarian 07-28-2022 4:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalmaster (Post 27103513)

Quote:

Originally Posted by madland (Post 27117655)
Or in need of weekly dialysis.

Yes, there are persistent conditions that need medication to survive; when the meds are gone, well, survival odds are much decreased. IDDM - Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus aka type 1 diabetes is one of those.

One version of dialysis, a sub-type of Peritoneal Dialysis, does not need a machine, but it's not easy. See https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medic...sis/types.html

What did kidney failure patients do before dialysis? Mostly they died.

Dirtlaw 07-28-2022 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW (Post 27103466)
Lots of pain killers:43:

Some truth there. Most would prefer a painless departure. If you have to go, go with a smile.

FeuerFrei 07-28-2022 9:23 AM

Just a reminder for this discussion.

This is Kali. There are many "off the books" drug retailers now and quite possibly still doing business during a collapse. You probably already know a guy that knows a guy.

*I consider docs/pharmacy to be the same kinda retailers except they have been made legal by dot gov and the medical cabal at large.
Medicating with no expectation of healing. :facepalm:

Allegedly :cool:

FeuerFrei 07-28-2022 3:09 PM

Nice list Chief. Good redundancy.

*side note on diphenhydramine. It makes a great topical analgesic. Crush it into powder form, make a paste and apply. It's a great inside/outside itch killer.
*Sleep aid/calmer for people and pets too.

Also

Vinegar will solve most diarrhea problems. Apple cider vinegar is slightly more palatable and mixes well with water/juice or...?
It has many real uses (and some internet fantasy land "cures" that can be ignored)

BigPimping 07-28-2022 5:11 PM

Retired paramedic here. What youíre going to want is a lot of gauze, 2 and 4 inch Kling Wrap and dressings. Having some sterile water or irrigation is very helpful as well. Keep in mind that stuff does expire overtime and will need to be rotated out. Besides that your normal BLS kit should suffice. As VinnieBoombatz said, Water purification tablets and some very basic antibiotics would also help. If itís a serious medical emergency, unless you have extensive training and access to much more invasive equipment, youíre screwed.

Prepped and ready 07-28-2022 7:42 PM

Ive vacuum sealed a good amount of Amoxicillin, azethromicin, oxycodone and a few others. I have a few med kits that can treat sever trama and several of the quick cast kits for broken arms, hands and even enough to do a leg.

Also have a full suture kit. Yes Ive actually sewed myself up before.

Then I have a MyMedic Recon kit as well for back up. I got rid of the red backpack and put everything into a nice REI pack thats waterproof.

neuron 08-04-2022 12:23 PM

The post above and only a couple of others earlier mentioned antibiotics, which I consider essential for a prolonged SHTF situation where you may need to deal with serious skin and wound infections and a lot more. To get these legally you need a prescription, but that could be worked out with your physician. The most useful antibiotics are so-called "broad spectrum" antibiotics, like Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate), clarithromycin or azithromycin, and tetracycline or doxycycline. Fluoroquinolones like Cipro or Levaquin have broad antibiotic coverage, but they are known to have serious potential toxicity, aside from allergic reactions which are of course a concern with any antiobiotics.

It is essential to know which antibiotics to use and how to dose them for any given infection.

FeuerFrei 08-04-2022 1:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neuron (Post 27139729)
The post above and only a couple of others earlier mentioned antibiotics, which I consider essential for a prolonged SHTF situation where you may need to deal with serious skin and wound infections and a lot more. To get these legally you need a prescription, but that could be worked out with your physician. The most useful antibiotics are so-called "broad spectrum" antibiotics, like Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate), clarithromycin or azithromycin, and tetracycline or doxycycline. Fluoroquinolones like Cipro or Levaquin have broad antibiotic coverage, but they are known to have serious potential toxicity, aside from allergic reactions which are of course a concern with any antiobiotics.

It is essential to know which antibiotics to use and how to dose them for any given infection.

We had a semi recent discussion on ABX here ...https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1801499

edgerly779 08-04-2022 3:04 PM

Crazy glue, hemostats. scalpel with disposable blades.

mk2dave 08-07-2022 2:57 PM

Is crazy glue toxic? If it is, and I have no idea, you may want to look into Vet Bond. It's the same idea, specifically not toxic and used by veterinarians. I used to date a vet, and she laughed at me when I suggested crazy glue. Of course, in her world she has access to vet bond and works in sterile conditions, and wasn't willing to consider a SHTF scenario.

Librarian 08-07-2022 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk2dave (Post 27149023)
Is crazy glue toxic? If it is, and I have no idea, you may want to look into Vet Bond. It's the same idea, specifically not toxic and used by veterinarians. I used to date a vet, and she laughed at me when I suggested crazy glue. Of course, in her world she has access to vet bond and works in sterile conditions, and wasn't willing to consider a SHTF scenario.

Vetbond/dermabond is more expensive; Krazy Glue sets harder, less flexible.

See also https://www.healthline.com/health/super-glue-on-cuts for a brief discussion, and this https://morethanjustsurviving.com/super-glue-for-cuts/ for a longer one.

xrMike 08-08-2022 8:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk2dave (Post 27149023)
I used to date a vet, and she laughed at me when I suggested crazy glue. Of course, in her world she has access to vet bond and works in sterile conditions, and wasn't willing to consider a SHTF scenario.

We understand now why you USED to date her... :D