Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Discussions of Faith (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=355)
-   -   My pastor just said this: (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1583763)

PoorRichRichard 01-19-2020 10:45 AM

My pastor just said this:

“God did not bring the Israelites out of exile because they were good, he brought them out because HE is good.”

I felt like telling someone, and you guys are the closest right now. I hope it helps anyone going through a tough time right now.

-rich

Yodaman 01-19-2020 11:07 AM

Good words to pass on. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burble74 01-19-2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorRichRichard (Post 23802005)
“God did not bring the Israelites out of exile because they were good, he brought them out because HE is good.”

I felt like telling someone, and you guys are the closest right now. I hope it helps anyone going through a tough time right now.

-rich

Yes amen

Garand Hunter 01-19-2020 2:09 PM

Likewise AMEN.

Psalm 1

The War Wagon 01-19-2020 6:28 PM

Also why Jesus died on the cross. Hope he eventually moved to THAT point.

bruss01 01-20-2020 9:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorRichRichard (Post 23802005)

-rich

I always thought He brought them out because the Egypt generation died out, including Moses. You don't want to establish a new nation built on a corrupt foundation.

billvau 01-21-2020 6:01 AM

Amen to that! The Bible, cover-to-cover, is the story of God's faithfulness and man's unfaithfulness.

Kokopelli 01-21-2020 9:16 AM

Amen to what OP said.

Scripture tells us they were called out... to worship Him. It was repeated seven times.

Exodus 4:21 "The Lord said to Moses, “When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go. 22 Then say to Pharaoh, ‘This is what the Lord says: Israel is my firstborn son, 23 and I told you, “Let my son go, so he may worship me.”

Exodus 7:16 "Then say to him, ‘The Lord, the God of the Hebrews, has sent me to say to you: Let my people go, so that they may worship me in the wilderness. But until now you have not listened."

Exodus 8:1 "Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh and say to him, ‘This is what the Lord says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me." -

Exodus 8:20 "Then the Lord said to Moses, “Get up early in the morning and confront Pharaoh as he goes to the river and say to him, ‘This is what the Lord says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me.

Exodus 9:1 "Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh and say to him, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: “Let my people go, so that they may worship me.”

Exodus 9:13 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Get up early in the morning, confront Pharaoh and say to him, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me,

Exodus 10:3 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said to him, “This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: ‘How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? Let my people go, so that they may worship me.

Wordupmybrotha 02-19-2020 12:15 PM

Yep, and that theme continues today and will tomorrow.

Dirtlaw 02-19-2020 12:28 PM

I find myself taking pause when I consider a Creator who so loved his creation. The nature of God's love sometimes seems so alien when viewed through the eyes of a sinful being. But the veil is torn and through grace we now have the opportunity to have that same love live within us.

Dano3467 02-19-2020 12:35 PM

I Agree with this thread.

CVShooter 02-19-2020 1:59 PM

So if God is good because he brought the Israelites out of slavery, was he bad to let them be enslaved in the first place? Or was enslaving the Hebrews a good thing, too?

Yes, this is sort of tongue in cheek and I am just being an irreverent gadfly here. But it does beg the question...

As my girlfriend (now wife) remarked in college, "There you go, ruining the Sunday School lesson again!"

** Edit** Correction. You said exile & exodus popped into my head. Must have been listening to Bob Marley recently. Replace "slavery" and "enslaved" with "exile" and "exiled." Kind of just adds to the argument, though. Those folks have suffered a lot over the years.

Dirtlaw 02-19-2020 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CVShooter (Post 23903618)
So if God is good because he brought the Israelites out of slavery, was he bad to let them be enslaved in the first place? Or was enslaving the Hebrews a good thing, too?

Yes, this is sort of tongue in cheek and I am just being an irreverent gadfly here. But it does beg the question...

As my girlfriend (now wife) remarked in college, "There you go, ruining the Sunday School lesson again!"

This may sound like foolishness, but you come to realize the blessing that is in a trial.

SelfGovernor 02-19-2020 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CVShooter (Post 23903618)

Just a quick question since I don't come to the forum that often and if I remember correctly, you lived in Israel?

What does it mean "Baruch HaBah..." ?

SG

DentonandSasquatchShow 02-19-2020 9:33 PM

I feel like that at work everyday. I don't go above and beyond because they are good, I do it because I am good. But then I get **** on constantly for doing it. Gotta say, my I'm feeling like Popeye. That's all I can stands I can't stands no more.

CVShooter 02-20-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SelfGovernor (Post 23904992)
Just a quick question since I don't come to the forum that often and if I remember correctly, you lived in Israel?

SG

Don't know. That was 20 years ago so my Hebrew is pretty darned rusty. At this point, I've even forgotten how to swear in Hebrew.

Pandanin 02-20-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SelfGovernor (Post 23904992)

SG

It means Welcome.
Literally translated it means "Blessed is [person] who comes"

CVShooter 02-21-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandanin (Post 23906353)
It means Welcome.
Literally translated it means "Blessed is [person] who comes"

Uh, okay. If there was a point there, I totally missed it.

Pandanin 02-21-2020 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CVShooter (Post 23909291)

Was responding to meaning of Baruch HaBah.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SelfGovernor 02-21-2020 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CVShooter (Post 23909291)

I was going to point out the idiomatic and metaphorical nature of the Hebrew language and the Old Testament. Only reading Exodus as about slavery misses the higher meaning. That all of humanity is enslaved to sin until the Passover which had it's ultimate fulfillment when Christ died on the cross.

SG

M76 02-21-2020 9:27 PM

Man can perform good works, but only God IS good

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...18&version=KJV

Some views may differ, the KJV is my only reference

CVShooter 02-24-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SelfGovernor (Post 23910888)
I was going to point out the idiomatic and metaphorical nature of the Hebrew language and the Old Testament. Only reading Exodus as about slavery misses the higher meaning. That all of humanity is enslaved to sin until the Passover which had it's ultimate fulfillment when Christ died on the cross.

SG

Yea, that's reinstating the Sunday School lesson, for sure. To read Exodus and ignore slavery really ignores the elephant in the room. It's like talking about the American Revolution without talking about taxes or tyranny.

I'd say that the God of the Hebrew and Christian texts is both good and evil. After all, he is a perfect reflection of his people, as most gods are.

There's nothing wrong, per se, with saying God is good. But, as many folks know, there is the theodicy paradox of saying God is all-good, all-powerful and evil exists. Unfortunately, you can only choose two at most. Most will hold that God is all-good and that evil exists but is somewhat limited in power (human free will, natural laws, etc.). I believe that God or the gods are neither all-good nor all-powerful. She may not even be there except in our imaginations.