Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=349)
-   -   Selling Unregistered AR-15 w/ BB (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1581830)

Hittman 01-10-2020 8:26 AM

Selling Unregistered AR-15 w/ BB

Hello, I must have been asleep during the whole registration thing for bullet button AR's, so I'm in possession of such a rifle illegally I suppose? Anyway, I'm unfortunately looking at potentially being charged with a felony in the near future so I'm trying to proactively sell my firearms now, ideally just to a local dealer/pawn broker. Am I going to have trouble selling the AR, or what do I need to do.

Thanks in advance!

csshih 01-10-2020 8:27 AM

just separate the upper from the lower. you're then good to go.

Hittman 01-10-2020 8:30 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by csshih (Post 23773520)
just separate the upper from the lower. you're then good to go.

Appreciate your time, thank you.

justmedave 01-10-2020 9:04 AM

Don't know if you're trolling or not. But if you want to be safe from any chance of catching a felony separate lower from upper. Even better if you have a little know how strip the lower then order complaint parts for featureless or maglock. Reassemble your former bullet buttoned firearms with compliance parts. You'll have more time to sell or keep.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SVT-40 01-10-2020 9:16 AM

Separate the upper and lower. Get the special BB tool and remove it. Install a standard mag release. Make the remainder of the gun featureless.

Your gun is now legal

phdo 01-10-2020 9:40 AM

Buy a fixed mag device or remove the gas tube making it not a semi-auto.

colt11 01-10-2020 10:58 AM

As others have said, step one is to sperate the upper and lower. Then step two is to remove the bullet button. Step three is to decide which compliant option you want to take with your rifle: a) detachable magazine but featureless, or b) fixed magazine with features. Step four us to proceed with the build modification you decide on.

lordmorgul 01-13-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phdo (Post 23773776)
Buy a fixed mag device or remove the gas tube making it not a semi-auto.

Removed gas tube is not a solid position to be in, if there is a gas port in the barrel and a gas block, then you have a broken semi-auto, not a single rifle mechanism.

Separation (and should be sold separately), removal of features, or fixed magazine (with 10rd max magazines). Those three options are best.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Packy14 01-13-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colt11 (Post 23774006)
As others have said, step one is to sperate the upper and lower. Then step two is to remove the bullet button. Step three is to decide which compliant option you want to take with your rifle: a) detachable magazine but featureless, or b) fixed magazine with features. Step four us to proceed with the build modification you decide on.

You missed step 5: quit working for ATF because your so obvious itís annoying.

Librarian 01-14-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packy14 (Post 23785576)
You missed step 5: quit working for ATF because your so obvious itís annoying.

ATF does not care about CA 'assault weapons'.

lordmorgul 01-14-2020 8:28 AM

Several people mentioned removing the BB device. That is irrelevant, it is not illegal to have installed it is just NOT any value as a compliance device any longer; if you just want to get rid of the rifle it can stay, does not matter.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

crufflers 01-14-2020 3:48 PM

I'm sure a lot of people do not hang out on CAL GUNS or keep up on every new liberty grab. A lot of people do end up playing catch-up and wonder what they should do about those BB AR's under the bed that they have not thought about for ten years.

Bullets&Whitewalls 01-14-2020 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmorgul (Post 23785562)
Removed gas tube is not a solid position to be in, if there is a gas port in the barrel and a gas block, then you have a broken semi-auto, not a single rifle mechanism.

Separation (and should be sold separately), removal of features, or fixed magazine (with 10rd max magazines). Those three options are best.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA

I believe the regs say otherwise as a lot of guys are doing this with straight pull type Ars. Someone better than can come along and post it but I know I read it when they were released. Now if it were shutting off an adjustable gas block that would be totally different. Removing the gas tube or complete system was enough to satisfy the PC.

jarhead714 01-14-2020 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crufflers (Post 23787361)
I'm sure a lot of people do not hang out on CAL GUNS or keep up on every new liberty grab. A lot of people do end up playing catch-up and wonder what they should do about those BB AR's under the bed that they have not thought about for ten years.

Do like me. Keep the receivers separate and in separate rooms. Shoot them out of state. If things ever go seriously sideways, youíll have plenty of opportunities to take the 10 seconds it takes to put the upper on the lower and start putting a hurting on whatever troubles may arise.

crufflers 01-14-2020 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarhead714 (Post 23787411)
Do like me. Keep the receivers separate and in separate rooms. Shoot them out of state.

I went all featureless way before any deadlines.

California_Deplorable 01-14-2020 4:17 PM

If you go "featureless" make sure you make the upper compliant by removing the flashhider and any vertical forward grip it may have. You have to make sure BOTH the upper AND lower are compliant if you put it back together.

Some previous posts only addressed modifying the lower but there are parts on the upper that may fit the CA AW definition that need to be removed for the upper assembly to become "featureless".

woolybugger 01-14-2020 4:42 PM

As has already been said get aboard the featureless train asap. The state has no way of knowing if or when you did or did not convert to featureless. However if you ever want to shoot sell or transport the rifle without risking a felony you must bring it into compliance.

edgerly779 01-14-2020 4:47 PM

7 posts in 8 years just got out of jail I guess.

rodsvet 01-14-2020 5:51 PM

@ post 19. I think he just gave the DOJ the info of when he hadn't complied with the law. I think he's a troll from the DOJ or pays no attention to the news media.

pratchett 01-14-2020 6:57 PM

Either A) Delete this post, do some research, and stop admitting to crimes in public; or B) Go back to using an unmarked to follow people back from Reno gun shows because your troll game sucks for a state guy.

sbo80 01-14-2020 7:45 PM

some of the OPs question didn't get directly answered though. NO you can't sell it like it is, nobody will transfer that. Convert it first, then you can sell it.

JaredKaragen 01-15-2020 1:56 AM

in the simplest terms: if there is no bolt in it; it is not semiautomatic.

Period.

Quiet 01-15-2020 3:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaredKaragen (Post 23788703)
in the simplest terms: if there is no bolt in it; it is not semiautomatic.

Period.

But, it can be considered a "broken" semi-auto (semi-auto centerfire rifle with restricted features with the bolt-carrier group removed but stored nearby the firearm).
Which was determined during a CA court case resulting in a conviction for possession of an assault weapon.
Since the defendant did not appeal the conviction, it did not become CA case law.
However, what occured can still be referenced/utilized by any of the 58 DA's Office, if they choose to prosecute for a similar case.

aBrowningfan 01-15-2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarhead714 (Post 23787411)
Do like me. Keep the receivers separate and in separate rooms. Shoot them out of state. If things ever go seriously sideways, youíll have plenty of opportunities to take the 10 seconds it takes to put the upper on the lower and start putting a hurting on whatever troubles may arise.

While I was waiting on my BBAW registration application approval, I kept the receivers in separate locked containers in two different locations (not different rooms of the same location). The receivers were close enough to be accessed, but not close enough to be confiscated as a complete firearm.

Jimi Jah 01-16-2020 9:03 AM

If the cops confiscate it they will re-assemble it for you.

Rgarbarino 01-17-2020 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls (Post 23787398)
I believe the regs say otherwise as a lot of guys are doing this with straight pull type Ars. Someone better than can come along and post it but I know I read it when they were released. Now if it were shutting off an adjustable gas block that would be totally different. Removing the gas tube or complete system was enough to satisfy the PC.

You are correct and this is confirmed in the regs. You can remove the gas tune and be good to go as single shot.

wpage 01-17-2020 3:25 PM

Truth...

Quote:

Originally Posted by aBrowningfan (Post 23796718)
For free, no less. They might even do some free function testing, too.

Lock you up as well. Slight svc charge to tax payers...

Your actual charges may vary based on you constitutional belief.

JaredKaragen 01-18-2020 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet (Post 23788723)
But, it can be considered a "broken" semi-auto (semi-auto centerfire rifle with restricted features with the bolt-carrier group removed but stored nearby the firearm).
Which was determined during a CA court case resulting in a conviction for possession of an assault weapon.
Since the defendant did not appeal the conviction, it did not become CA case law.
However, what occured can still be referenced/utilized by any of the 58 DA's Office, if they choose to prosecute for a similar case.

The facts being what they are; puts this in the same realm the AR-15 lower is in presently.

I do 100% agree with you though. They can always press you for whatever reason, but that does not mean that the definition is being applied correctly; which can be easily pointed out in court. "broken" is subjective and undefined legally as far as I can tell.