Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Technology and Internet (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   FYI for windows 10 users (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1488247)

robertmneal93 11-07-2018 11:30 AM

FYI for windows 10 users

This morning I was unloading some pictures from a weekend trip off of my work phone. I plugged into a windows 10 computer, made a new folder for my pictures and "cut" them off the phone, into the computer.

While I was waiting for them to copy, I was selecting more pictures on the phone's folder, and accidentally "click and dragged" a selected bunch, which for some reason makes a new copy inside the folder you're in. Thinking like this is windows 7, I said oh, okay, lemme just do a quick control-Z to undo.

Instead of undoing the copy I just did, it undid the creation of my new folder on my computer. It took out all the pictures that were in there. They just vanished. Not in the recycle bin, not showing up with file recovery. Nothing. A google search yields similar results with people loosing things from pictures, to programming projects, and other crap.

Just be aware that when you hit Control-z in windows 10, it does not care if you just copied files into that new folder. It will likely just get rid of the new folder you made and completely "lose" those files that were in it.

CaliforniaCowboy 11-07-2018 2:32 PM

I have been using computers heavily since the late 80' s and have never felt the need to use CUT function, I avoid it. Copy paste or drag drop only.
Did not know CTRl Z would undo a previous function past the one you were on. I have had the issue where you click/drag a bunch of files and windows glitches and instead duplicates. Did you try doing a paste function when the file vanished? Maybe the cut still had the files in memory?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

robertmneal93 11-07-2018 2:35 PM

Yup, lesson learned for me, that's for sure.

d33pt 11-07-2018 8:39 PM

Is your phone an iphone? I think the reason that happened is that windows cannot put a photo back on the phone. It's one way only. It's a limitation of IOS. So when it tried to do it and failed, it just disappeared.

Cokebottle 11-07-2018 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy (Post 22309219)
I have been using computers heavily since the late 80' s and have never felt the need to use CUT function, I avoid it. Copy paste or drag drop only.

This. Never never never use "cut"
Always select, copy/paste, then after the process is done, go back to the source and delete.

Hypersion 11-08-2018 10:11 AM

There are third party programs that can find the deleted files. Did you try one of those?

NYT 11-08-2018 10:26 AM

yeah this changed in windows 8 if i recall correctly, they got a lot of flack for it but stayed the course. i guess there was a greater demand for delete rather than undo.

Meety Peety 11-08-2018 5:16 PM

Copy. Paste. Delete.

MrFancyPants 11-08-2018 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 22310695)
This. Never never never use "cut"
Always select, copy/paste, then after the process is done, go back to the source and delete.

This. There's no reason not to do this. There are many things which can go wrong during a "move" operation, which is essentially what copy/paste does. If you copy first, you can redo it or change it if something goes wrong and the source data is still there.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Cokebottle 11-08-2018 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFancyPants (Post 22314498)
This. There's no reason not to do this. There are many things which can go wrong during a "move" operation, which is essentially what copy/paste does. If you copy first, you can redo it or change it if something goes wrong and the source data is still there.

Or copy it to two separate hard drives ;)

Dan_Eastvale 11-09-2018 8:53 AM

RECUVA free software has worked for me and others at work..

Will recover recently deleted files.. Pretty decent track record..

jameshenry 11-09-2018 2:05 PM

Review all actions and results before delete.

Mute 11-10-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meety Peety (Post 22314255)
Copy. Paste. Delete.

This. I NEVER cut and paste. Ever.

robertmneal93 11-13-2018 2:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypersion (Post 22312482)
There are third party programs that can find the deleted files. Did you try one of those?

Yeah, I tried a few. The problem is that I found (and that I read), was that the files don't actually get "deleted". They just disappear into some weird dimension between "deleted" and "not deleted". No third party recovery program I found worked.

Absolute absurdity if you ask me. Win 95/98/me/xp/vista/7 all did the same thing when you cut and used "undo" by accident.

That'll be the last time I ever used the cut function

the86d 11-14-2018 5:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d33pt (Post 22310655)
Is your phone an iphone? I think the reason that happened is that windows cannot put a photo back on the phone. It's one way only. It's a limitation of IOS. So when it tried to do it and failed, it just disappeared.

If this was the case it could be a limitation of iTunes and iPhones as a combo-burrito?

iPhone the problem? :D