Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   General gun discussions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Semi-Auto Pistols w/ No Safety? (Beretta 92G) (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1598720)

freedom-lover 03-26-2020 1:16 PM

Semi-Auto Pistols w/ No Safety? (Beretta 92G)

Stumbled across another thread on a first time gun owner who purchased a 92FS. Lots of folks recommended conversion of the de-cocker to a 92G, which would eliminate the gun's safety. Out of boredom, I thought this might be a fun project and then when ordering the parts, I came across a skeleton hammer Beretta has for the 92FS. That looks cool, too. Why not do both at the same time.

However, any thoughts on a semi-auto with no safety? Doesn't every single semi have a safety - from 1911s to every S&W, Sig, etc.?

Garbcollector 03-26-2020 1:25 PM

I've put a few 92g conversions in a 92fs it not a hard job to do just have to deal with some small pins which is a pain. Just go on YouTube you'll find a step by step video

challenger 03-26-2020 1:27 PM

Some S&Wís and Sigís donít have safeties.
All Glocks donít have safeties either

norcalAF 03-26-2020 1:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by challenger (Post 24042816)

Or Kahrs, they don't even have a trigger safety [emoji15]

norcalAF 03-26-2020 1:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbcollector (Post 24042806)
I've put a few 92g conversions in a 92fs it not a hard job to do just have to deal with some small pins which is a pain. Just go on YouTube you'll find a step by step video

The pins aren't even bad, just not shooting the plungers into space is the chief concern. Go slow, disassemble in a bag or some videos will show you how to position your support hand to prevent orbital launch of the spring loaded plungers. I took out the firing pin block when I did my conversion, it wasn't necessary according to some videos, but it helped simplify the reassembly.

freedom-lover 03-26-2020 1:33 PM

Quote:

I did not know that. I have never handled a Glock.

plumbum 03-26-2020 1:42 PM

You are talking about “manual safeties”, nearly all firearms have some sort of “passive safety” built in.
As for a handgun with no safety: none of my revolvers have any safeties.

freedom-lover 03-26-2020 1:44 PM

Yeah, I have never seen a revolver with one, but I am guessing that design feature is a hold-over from the 1800s?

norcalAF 03-26-2020 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom-lover (Post 24042853)

Come over to the dark side

003 03-26-2020 1:52 PM

As noted above, Glock pistols do not have mechanical safeties. Currently made modern revolvers do not have mechanical safeties.
I carried a Beretta 92 on duty for many years. Never used the safety feature.

norcalAF 03-26-2020 1:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumbum (Post 24042899)
You are talking about ďmanual safetiesĒ, nearly all firearms have some sort of ďpassive safetyĒ built in.
As for a handgun with no safety: none of my revolvers have any safeties.

No newer rugers or Smith's?
To clarify I was referring to the transfer bar and the locks present on newer revolvers

norcalAF 03-26-2020 2:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 (Post 24042937)
As noted above, Glock pistols do not have mechanical safeties. Currently made modern revolvers do not have mechanical safeties.
I carried a Beretta 92 on duty for many years. Never used the safety feature.

Yea, the safety is unused by the Air Force during duty carry, the safety just gives you a great chance of hearing a click when you really want to hear a bang. In the other thread, the guy who ran the gun through a front sight course complained about it occuring multiple times. Not a feature I want on a pistol (1911s and SA models excluded of course)

NapaPlinker 03-26-2020 2:02 PM

Quote:

According to Glock they have 3

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tomk556 03-26-2020 2:40 PM

The trigger safety on the 92FS is pointless and stupid. I hate when I carry an M9 and every $&@! in the world comes up to give me crap about my weapon not being on “safe.” I’ve literally had someone who was carrying an M11 tell me it was “highly dangerous” to not have a decocked M9’s safety on... That’s a stupid army issue based on a lack of understanding of pistols. The selector is stupid because it’s relatively easy to inadvertently decock and put the weapon on safe when you reload and run the slide.

Glocks don’t have manual safeties. Revolvers don’t have manual safeties. Sigs don’t have manual safeties. A lack of manual safety has not proven to be an issue for a hundred years of law enforcement.

The 92G kit is worth considering. I swapped my personal 92FS over. A bit of a pain and I do wonder if it’s 100% reliable, but if the spring that forces it to just decock and return to “red” failed, I believe it would be a non-critical failure you could otherwise work around. If the spring that pushes the selector back to red, you could still manually decock etc., and the selector should still be under tension and wouldn’t slip off red.

SVT-40 03-26-2020 2:49 PM

I carried a S & W 5946 for years. DAO Great pistol. Before that I carried the 639 above it in the below pic.

https://i177.photobucket.com/albums/...SC08445-01.jpg

Duck Killer 03-26-2020 3:22 PM

I prefer no manual safety. It is a good upgrade for the beretta. One less thing to go wrong.

BrassCase 03-26-2020 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom-lover (Post 24042853)

Or Springfield XD line. Most striker fired guns do not have external safeties. With the G version, when you flick the lever down to decock it springs back up. The decocker/safety keeps the lever in safe so it has to be moved back up to fire. The decocker only is good to have in training classes that require you to decock often then draw again and fire in DA.

I've done the "G" conversion twice. Do the hammer now if you are going to change it. Best advice when doing it: 1. Look at several YouTube videos. There are a couple of times when the videos don't show you a procedure so seeing several different examples is good. 2. Have a large clear plastic bag available to work in, as mentioned above, the parts can fly. Good thing is that the parts that can fly, Beretta was kind enough to give you 2 of everything other than the lever assembly.

If you are going to do these items then may I suggest that you also consider either installing the Langdon trigger job in a bag or the Langdon trigger bar and an 11# trigger spring and the steel trigger. These are great upgrades for a Beretta. Those changes lighten the DA and shorten the reset on SA. Since I made these upgrades to both of my 92's, one was a G-SD already, I've been considering using my FS for Steel Challenge instead of my XD Tac.

BigPimping 03-26-2020 4:16 PM

Every Glock has a number of internal safeties. They are actually very safe to handle.

kayaker 03-26-2020 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPimping (Post 24043672)
Every Glock has a number of internal safeties. They are actually very safe to handle.

Unless you try to holster it with your finger inside the trigger guard.

plumbum 03-26-2020 5:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 24043911)

If you pull the trigger on a Glock, it will fire... how hard is that to get?
Keep your booger-hook off the bang-switch.

Duck Killer 03-26-2020 5:40 PM

Quote:

Yeah we canít fix stupid.

Oldboyjun 03-26-2020 5:46 PM

The long and heavy double action pull on a Beretta 92/M9 is a safety, since it requires a very deliberate pull/squeeze of the trigger. Same thing as a revolver. Having a manual safety on a Beretta is redundant and unnecessary and that is one of the reasons the “G” kit is a popular modification. Also, due to the location of the levers, it’s easy to inadvertently activate the safety while racking the slide.

rudigan 03-26-2020 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalAF (Post 24042828)
Or Kahrs, they don't even have a trigger safety [emoji15]

Well, in a sense a llllllooooooooooonnnnnnggggggg 20# trigger is a safety of sorts

cannon 03-26-2020 5:52 PM

I tend to gravitate to pistols without safeties. Like that they are point and blame with no steps in-between.

Easy to live with. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Simple really.

norcalAF 03-26-2020 6:42 PM

Quote:

If you are doing that, you deserve the consequences

L84CABO 03-26-2020 6:47 PM

SA/DA guns are essentially revolvers. And they don't have safeties.

norcalAF 03-26-2020 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudigan (Post 24044060)
Well, in a sense a llllllooooooooooonnnnnnggggggg 20# trigger is a safety of sorts

Never shot one with a heavy trigger, long sure, but smooth. I'm pretty accurate with the subcompact Kahr's. If you can learn to shoot DA well it will improve your trigger control with any weapon system.

theLBC 03-26-2020 7:09 PM

10lb DA pull on a SIG is the safety. it isn't easy to pull the trigger on accident.
i want my personal defense handgun to fire when i pull the trigger.
idiots don't touch my gun, so there is no need for a safety.

why do DA/SA guns need safeties? in case an idiot pulls the trigger when he doesn't want the gun to fire?

smle-man 03-26-2020 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom-lover (Post 24042904)
Yeah, I have never seen a revolver with one, but I am guessing that design feature is a hold-over from the 1800s?

http://calligari.free.fr/revolvers-n...-38-Safety.jpg

Here you go...Webley MkIV with a cross bolt safety.

smle-man 03-26-2020 7:20 PM

My CZ 75 BD has no safety as such, just a hammer drop device.

tomk556 03-26-2020 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smle-man (Post 24044457)
http://calligari.free.fr/revolvers-n...-38-Safety.jpg

Here you go...Webley MkIV with a cross bolt safety.

Kind of reminds of the M17. You see the addition of the manual safety, start to wonder ďwhy in the name of f...Ē and then you realize because itís a military weapon.

norcalAF 03-26-2020 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomk556 (Post 24044617)
Kind of reminds of the M17. You see the addition of the manual safety, start to wonder ďwhy in the name of f...Ē and then you realize because itís a military weapon.

"Army Proof" is the term we (Air Force) use. In good humor of course.

rudigan 03-26-2020 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalAF (Post 24044399)
Never shot one with a heavy trigger, long sure, but smooth. I'm pretty accurate with the subcompact Kahr's. If you can learn to shoot DA well it will improve your trigger control with any weapon system.

I used to have P45, P9 and carried a P380 for about 8 years, exaggerating on the heavy obviously, but yeah, mainly long and long re set.

baggss 03-26-2020 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalAF (Post 24042980)
the safety just gives you a great chance of hearing a click when you really want to hear a bang.

Not even that. On both of my Berettas (92FS & PX-4), when the safety is engaged pulling the trigger does nothing. It just pulls very lite but the hammer never moves.

tomk556 03-26-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalAF (Post 24044644)
"Army Proof" is the term we (Air Force) use. In good humor of course.

I mean itís fair. Pistols are by far the worst the Army does. But I thought you guys did away with the whole gun thing a while ago? No?

norcalAF 03-27-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomk556 (Post 24045104)
I mean itís fair. Pistols are by far the worst the Army does. But I thought you guys did away with the whole gun thing a while ago? No?

Funny story, my second deployment was to a British Army/US Marine base in southern Afghanistan, upon arrival our commander had everyone put their weapons into the cases and locked them all in a conex. We didn't carry a weapon the first couple of months, then the incident with Koran burning happened at Bagram and the commander remembered that we were in the profession of arms and opened the conex.

norcalAF 03-27-2020 11:49 AM

Shameless self promotion alert: if anyone needs a NIB Wilson Combat single side lever for a factory 92G, I have one listed in the accessories forum.

JoyfulJoker 03-27-2020 1:30 PM

None of my carry guns have safeties .

freedom-lover 03-27-2020 3:51 PM

Anyone familiar with the S&W model 4506? I believe it operates the same as the 92FS w/ a slide mounted safety/de-cocker. I guess there are not a lot of them out there as I have not seen a similar modification kit or heard any complaints about inadvertent manual safety engagement.

BrassCase 03-27-2020 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom-lover (Post 24048101)
Anyone familiar with the S&W model 4506? I believe it operates the same as the 92FS w/ a slide mounted safety/de-cocker. I guess there are not a lot of them out there as I have not seen a similar modification kit or heard any complaints about inadvertent manual safety engagement.

No, I had a early senior moment and forgot to flick the decocker back up after setting up for the next drill. Then I drew a gun with a dead trigger, everyone else went BANG and I, not even a click.:eek: