Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Let's talk about poison oak again (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1558113)

mofugly13 09-10-2019 3:36 PM

Let's talk about poison oak again

This weekend at hunting camp, i cut brush around the cabin for a few hours. I am very susceptible to poison oak, and can identify it at a glance, and have avoided contacting it for over seven years. While brush cutting the only PO I came across were a couple of tiny sprouts, which I steered clear of and hit with roundup.

Saturday at midnight I woke up with that familiar itch, happening right around my hootus and his sack of nuts.

I headed straight for the shower and washed with Tecnu. I didnt read or follow the directions so I dont think I was too effective.

The mystery is how did it get there? Of course, I know how, multiple times peeing in the woods and maybe a down the pants nut scratch or adjustment. But the reason I am mystified, is that it is ONLY on my cocknballs. Except for a tiny spot on my right eyelid, and another tiny spot on my left forearm.

Could my ultra manly working man's hands be resistant to poison oak, but my tender vittles not?

And now I'm dousing in benadryl but that's not very comfortable in my underoos. But it does tame the itch enough that I can ignore it a few hours.

Anyone have any tips for my situation? I'm used to powering through. But I'm getting too old for this aggravation!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spyder 09-10-2019 5:29 PM

Soft skin is more sensitive to it than tough skin.

If it gets on my nuts at all, or on my face enough to close an eye or nostril or swell my lips, I go straight to the pharmacy and get prednisone. I don't mess around with it, but I also have a worse reaction than almost everyone that says that they have the worst reaction ever. I bleed for months.

ojisan 09-10-2019 5:52 PM

" The mystery is how did it get there? "
From your clothes, tools, gear, shoes, socks.
You washed your hands but if you handled anything you used that day after you washed your hands that wasn't cleaned off first then you re-contaminated yourself.
I got PO really bad one time and now I have to be really careful around it.
In PO season I wear old socks, pants and long sleeved shirt when clearing trail and just drop them in the trash when I get home.
Shoes are old too and stay outside for several days, usually hosed off and sun dried for a few days before use again.
Tools get blasted with brake cleaner and WD40 and are wiped down.

A hot shower to clean up after the trail work causes the skin pores to open up and let in the PO.
Have to take a cool shower when using the Tech-Nu or others.

yoteassasin 09-11-2019 6:00 AM

Fells naphtha cold shower after every outing .... if you have soft skin that is

mofugly13 09-11-2019 3:17 PM

I've just found that gold bond sooths the itch and the soreness from scratching.

Dano3467 09-11-2019 3:40 PM

Young growth of manzanita is your answer.

1. Collect it (pot full) boil till dark tea looking.
2. drain off through sieve.
3. place in clean jar in refrigerator till cold
4 with clean cotton balls, apply tea, using multiple application 4 or more times a day, can't over do this.
5. continue this till gone, after a day or so you'll see marked difference, an itching will go away by 1/2 day or so, but will heal fast if diligent.

This was taught to me by an old Indian long ago, & has worked every time.

Or you could do what you want...

71MUSTY 09-11-2019 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano3467 (Post 23401336)
Young growth of manzanita is your answer.

1. Collect it (pot full) boil till dark tea looking.
2. drain off through sieve.
3. place in clean jar in refrigerator till cold
4 with clean cotton balls, apply tea, using multiple application 4 or more times a day, can't over do this.
5. continue this till gone, after a day or so you'll see marked difference, an itching will go away by 1/2 day or so, but will heal fast if diligent.

This was taught to me by an old Indian long ago, & has worked every time.

Or you could do what you want...

This and I always carry sliced onions. If you rub them immediately on the skin irritant (poison oak or even stinging nettle) you get fast relief.

Plus they are great for burgers or eggs.

Garand Hunter 09-11-2019 3:56 PM

Thanks Dano for the heads up ! My wife is very sensitive to it.

Psalm 1

mofugly13 09-11-2019 4:00 PM

Excellent. One thing that grows heavily around the cabin is manzanita.

Cincinnatus 09-11-2019 4:07 PM

I'm sensitive as hell, the effect is additive. Childhood exposure (thanks, BSA!!) and working in the woods, yay, now a chunk of the landscape's got PO. Not happy, so I feel your pain(s).

Did know a guy who thought he was immune until he burned a pile of it and happened to be downwind of the fire/smoke/steam. He damned near died from the exposure he got in his mouth, throat, & lungs. He became very careful after that...

bubbapug1 09-11-2019 7:09 PM

:useless:

Bigman54 09-11-2019 7:29 PM

My Sympathies, I've more then my share.

Learned 50+yrs ago that the Oatmeal Bath product is very effective at drying it up. If you don't mind getting into the tub 3-4 times a day.

When I used to Bow hunt/woods walk I'd do the following when I got back to the truck. I'd put on rubber gloves and peel off my pants, shorts, socks and boots. Into a big plastic bag, and put on fresh stuff.

Of course it helps to not have anyone around when you're changing your clothes and your junk is swaying in the wind.

Back at the house, fresh rubber gloves. Everything but boots into washing machine, including cloth boot laces. Wipe down boots with rubbing alcohol.

Stayed itch/rash free since 1975.

ZirconJohn 09-11-2019 8:00 PM

Look ... I am immune to poison oak

BUT ... I still use the wash method in the following video

Why, you may ask, if I am immune to poison oak

My wife is NOT immune, and she gets is very-very bad ... so, I wash like in the video

This is the VERY BEST method to avoid poison oak, ivy, or sumac

SAVE this video in your 'watch later' file and follow instructions

That is all ... carry on and don't get poison oak, sumac, or ivy ever again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0