Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Hunting Scope Recommendations (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1749218)

Househusband69 10-04-2021 5:03 PM

Hunting Scope Recommendations
 
Apologies if this should go into the Hunting forum, please let me know if it should and I will move. I am going hog hunting in November for the first time ever and was wondering if there were any rifle scopes you could recommend that is durable and won't break the bank. Or would I even need a scope for this? Looking for something $500 or less but willing to go up to $1000 if it is really worth the extra money and it can be used for other purposes (other game, distance shooting). The extent of my scope knowledge is the Leupold Mark 4 from the military as well as the Remington 700 my friend sold me which has one of these on there; he said everything is dialed and not to touch it LOL.

I know this is not ideal, but I was thinking of just using my M1A Loaded 22" for this upcoming trip; I have a Sadlak mount for it I would ideally like to use to mount this scope (please let me know if I need a different one for this function). I'd love to buy a new rifle (who doesn't) just for this but I just wanted to try hunting before I drop money on another setup. My 700 is 26" and already has a B&C stock that makes it quite heavy to lug around.

My main purpose at this time is to try it out and just have some fun with the boys. Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated since there are so many options out there. Thank you all!

Kevin11mee 10-04-2021 5:21 PM

The Mark 4 should be a nice scope. What are the specs? The M1A will also work fine for a pig. What is it chambered in?

MJB 10-04-2021 5:41 PM

What's your binocular set up?

Gotta find them first!

I like Ziess for clarity and light transmission. I can see out to 100-75yds with no moon light. 3x9x40 or 44

What ever you do talk to camerlandny.com they know it all and they have demo sales.

Househusband69 10-04-2021 7:53 PM

@kevin11ee: M1A is .308/7.62x51. I can't remember the Mark 4 specs but I believe it is 10x40mm, I'll have to check once I get back home to San Diego this Saturday. Thank you for the help!

@MJB: You are absolutely right! Excellent point, we do have to have to find them first LOL. Total rookie move but we are having one of those guides who you pay take us out so I am not exactly sure what he'll be using. It's probably better that way seeing as none of us have ever been hunting. I will definitely talk to camerlandy.com! Thank you so much for your help and insight as well!

Trapper 10-04-2021 8:22 PM

Why not ask your guide how much hiking to expect and what the average distance would be for a shot opportunity? My guess is that hiking will be minimal and shots would be well under 200yds. If that’s the case, either rifle would be fine for a first hunt.

theLBC 10-05-2021 5:38 AM

i tend to suggest calling doug at cameralandny.com, give him your budget and what you want to do...let him offer suggestions and go from there.

newbutold 10-05-2021 8:13 AM

Hog hunting varies.....when the hogs chase a dog back to its daddy, a scope isn't necessary.

Kevin11mee 10-05-2021 2:49 PM

A .308 with the Mark 4 will do just fine on a guided pig hunt. You can upgrade things later if you think you'd like to hunt more.

DrewTheBrave 10-05-2021 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theLBC (Post 26226585)
i tend to suggest calling doug at cameralandny.com, give him your budget and what you want to do...let him offer suggestions and go from there.

Hard to go wrong here. Doug knows his stuff, and offers deals that may not be advertised on the CamerLand website.

If your Rem 700 is "dialed in" it might be better to take that on your first hunt, since your buddy seems to have a lot of confidence in it. Whatever you take, PRACTICE with it as much as possible beforehand!

middleofnowhere 10-05-2021 6:12 PM

If you were in the military, I suggest you sign up for Leupold’s .mil/leo discount. It is significant and will allow you to buy two quality optics per year at a heavily discounted price.
https://www.leupold.com/learn/core-c...-programs-info

For an M1A, I’m not familiar enough with that type of rifle to recommend a scope for it. For Remington 700 with the Mark 4, it’s probably an excellent set-up, but heavy as you mentioned.

I would recommend you get familiar with the 700 and carrying it around. A lot of guys carry heavy long range rifles in to the field, it’s just something you have to do. Heavier weight often translates to a very accurate rifle with some of these set-ups.

As you become more familiar, maybe save some money and increase your budget for more of a modern lightweight hunting rifle.

Vinnie Boombatz 10-05-2021 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJB (Post 26225419)
What's your binocular set up?

Gotta find them first!

I like Ziess for clarity and light transmission. I can see out to 100-75yds with no moon light. 3x9x40 or 44

What ever you do talk to camerlandny.com they know it all and they have demo sales.

What are you actually seeing if there's no moonlight (assuming that means it's actually dark out).

Trapper 10-05-2021 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 26229043)
If you were in the military, I suggest you sign up for Leupoldís .mil/leo discount. It is significant and will allow you to buy two quality optics per year at a heavily discounted price.
https://www.leupold.com/learn/core-c...-programs-info

For an M1A, Iím not familiar enough with that type of rifle to recommend a scope for it. For Remington 700 with the Mark 4, itís probably an excellent set-up, but heavy as you mentioned.

I would recommend you get familiar with the 700 and carrying it around. A lot of guys carry heavy long range rifles in to the field, itís just something you have to do. Heavier weight often translates to a very accurate rifle with some of these set-ups.

As you become more familiar, maybe save some money and increase your budget for more of a modern lightweight hunting rifle.

+1 on the Mil/LE discount. Nightforce and Vortex also offer discounts.

Skip_Dog 10-05-2021 7:59 PM

Tagged. I just bought a $1k Leupold 5. I should have looked into their Mil discount program. I have to send it in for warranty, maybe I should asked about it when I send it in.

Househusband69 10-05-2021 8:11 PM

Wow! Excellent advice all! I will definitely take heed, thank you all so much!

JamesCC 10-08-2021 7:23 AM

Iím following this thread these are some good suggesrions

Unit74 10-09-2021 8:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 26229043)
If you were in the military, I suggest you sign up for Leupoldís .mil/leo discount. It is significant and will allow you to buy two quality optics per year at a heavily discounted price.
https://www.leupold.com/learn/core-c...-programs-info


FWIW... I just logged in and checked my mil prices. Optics Planet and Sportsmans were the same price on the VX-Freedom and VX3 line up. I didn't go up from there.

Garbcollector 10-11-2021 8:14 AM

Vortex, nightforce, Leupold

theduracellbigd 10-11-2021 8:31 AM

For hunting all types of big game at all ranges up up 200 -300 yards. Fixed 4x is your best optic(good for in close and walking targets as well as adequate for long range) A variable 2x7 or 3x9 is the next best choice since you can put it on 4x or 5x and go hunt(9x good for spotting and longer pokes) a fixed 6x would be the next best choice. A fixed 10x will work but would be my last choice because decreased field of view will be a disadvantage on close/walking game. Yes your M1 would be the best choice of your two rifles due to size and weight, and a fixed 4x or variable with ability to go down to 3 would leave the rifle also still a realistic defense weapon with the lower magnification for close range shooting. The small objective and low weight fixed 4power would also keep the rifle as svelte as possible for beneficial handling.

Sdonabo 10-12-2021 4:37 PM

+1 on Vortex cant beat the lifetime warranty.

Househusband69 10-12-2021 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theduracellbigd (Post 26246269)
For hunting all types of big game at all ranges up up 200 -300 yards. Fixed 4x is your best optic(good for in close and walking targets as well as adequate for long range) A variable 2x7 or 3x9 is the next best choice since you can put it on 4x or 5x and go hunt(9x good for spotting and longer pokes) a fixed 6x would be the next best choice. A fixed 10x will work but would be my last choice because decreased field of view will be a disadvantage on close/walking game. Yes your M1 would be the best choice of your two rifles due to size and weight, and a fixed 4x or variable with ability to go down to 3 would leave the rifle also still a realistic defense weapon with the lower magnification for close range shooting. The small objective and low weight fixed 4power would also keep the rifle as svelte as possible for beneficial handling.

Thank you so much for all the detail! This is great!!

Househusband69 10-12-2021 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdonabo (Post 26251314)
+1 on Vortex cant beat the lifetime warranty.

Very true! Thank you so much! Iíve really known about Leupolds but have been hearing great things about Vortex, will definitely look into them more.

waveslayer 10-12-2021 7:12 PM

For a hunting scope get a good used SHV model by NF off the Hide a good reputable hunting Forum. Plenty around 1,000. Don't skimp on glass! Number 1 rule.

Spend a lot on glass it will last you a long time! No point in a good rifle if the scope can't track or hold a zero

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Househusband69 10-15-2021 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waveslayer (Post 26251768)
For a hunting scope get a good used SHV model by NF off the Hide a good reputable hunting Forum. Plenty around 1,000. Don't skimp on glass! Number 1 rule.

Spend a lot on glass it will last you a long time! No point in a good rifle if the scope can't track or hold a zero

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Never thought of off a forum! And will definitely take good glass into account. Thank you so much for the wonderful advice!

socal m1 shooter 10-15-2021 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Househusband69 (Post 26225303)
Apologies if this should go into the Hunting forum, please let me know if it should and I will move. I am going hog hunting in November for the first time ever and was wondering if there were any rifle scopes you could recommend that is durable and won't break the bank. Or would I even need a scope for this? Looking for something $500 or less but willing to go up to $1000 if it is really worth the extra money and it can be used for other purposes (other game, distance shooting). The extent of my scope knowledge is the Leupold Mark 4 from the military as well as the Remington 700 my friend sold me which has one of these on there; he said everything is dialed and not to touch it LOL.

I know this is not ideal, but I was thinking of just using my M1A Loaded 22" for this upcoming trip; I have a Sadlak mount for it I would ideally like to use to mount this scope (please let me know if I need a different one for this function). I'd love to buy a new rifle (who doesn't) just for this but I just wanted to try hunting before I drop money on another setup. My 700 is 26" and already has a B&C stock that makes it quite heavy to lug around.

My main purpose at this time is to try it out and just have some fun with the boys. Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated since there are so many options out there. Thank you all!

Even here in CA, where you're legally limited to shooting from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset, something that gathers light is the way to go. If you can't see through your scope in low-light conditions, it greatly limits the utility of your rig. The human eye can open the pupil to about 8 millimeters, so a scope with a smaller exit pupil means your seeing is worse through the scope than with the unaided eye. In other words, if the exit pupil on your scope is bigger than the pupil in your eye, the scope can transmit more light than your eye is taking in. That's what you want, you want to see better when using your scope than the unaided eye.

I recently got a Leupold VX Freedom 3x9 with a FireDot (lit) reticle and a 50mm objective bell. It has a 30mm tube, and since the exit pupil is (objective diameter)/magnification, the size is at least 50/9 = 5.6mm. At lower magnification, say 6x, it would be 8.3mm.

I got this for my tang safety Ruger M77, but I did break my rule of thumb (don't spend more on the optic than the rifle), but I used a portal (ActiveJunky) so my cost was around $450. I'm in my mid-50's and my eyes are not what they used to be, so I'll take whatever help I can get.

Househusband69 10-16-2021 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter (Post 26262267)
Even here in CA, where you're legally limited to shooting from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset, something that gathers light is the way to go. If you can't see through your scope in low-light conditions, it greatly limits the utility of your rig. The human eye can open the pupil to about 8 millimeters, so a scope with a smaller exit pupil means you're seeing is worse through the scope than with the unaided eye. In other words, if the exit pupil on your scope is bigger than the pupil in your eye, the scope can transmit more light than your eye is taking in. That's what you want, you want to see better when using your scope than the unaided eye.

I recently got a Leupold VX Freedom 3x9 with a FireDot (lit) reticle and a 50mm objective bell. It has a 30mm tube, and since the exit pupil is (objective diameter)/magnification, the size is at least 50/9 = 5.6mm. At lower magnification, say 6x, it would be 8.3mm.

I got this for my tang safety Ruger M77, but I did break my rule of thumb (don't spend more on the optic than the rifle), but I used a portal (ActiveJunky) so my cost was around $450. I'm in my mid-50's and my eyes are not what they used to be, so I'll take whatever help I can get.

Oh wow, didnít account for the light factor. Thereís so many variables to think of. Thank you so much for letting me know! Iíve looked at those leupolds that you mentioned, do you like yours?

waveslayer 10-16-2021 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter (Post 26262267)
Even here in CA, where you're legally limited to shooting from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset, something that gathers light is the way to go. If you can't see through your scope in low-light conditions, it greatly limits the utility of your rig. The human eye can open the pupil to about 8 millimeters, so a scope with a smaller exit pupil means you're seeing is worse through the scope than with the unaided eye. In other words, if the exit pupil on your scope is bigger than the pupil in your eye, the scope can transmit more light than your eye is taking in. That's what you want, you want to see better when using your scope than the unaided eye.



I recently got a Leupold VX Freedom 3x9 with a FireDot (lit) reticle and a 50mm objective bell. It has a 30mm tube, and since the exit pupil is (objective diameter)/magnification, the size is at least 50/9 = 5.6mm. At lower magnification, say 6x, it would be 8.3mm.



I got this for my tang safety Ruger M77, but I did break my rule of thumb (don't spend more on the optic than the rifle), but I used a portal (ActiveJunky) so my cost was around $450. I'm in my mid-50's and my eyes are not what they used to be, so I'll take whatever help I can get.

Diameter of a scope doesn't necessarily mean better light transmission.

OP get a Swarovski or ZCO of you want the best low light scopes.

I switched from Swarovski and running ZCO .

Leupold... pass compared to those mentioned above

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

3006 10-16-2021 6:46 PM

My 80 dollar Tasco works fine on hogs .

Househusband69 10-17-2021 7:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waveslayer (Post 26265272)
Diameter of a scope doesn't necessarily mean better light transmission.

OP get a Swarovski or ZCO of you want the best low light scopes.

I switched from Swarovski and running ZCO .

Leupold... pass compared to those mentioned above

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Oh wow, I'll take a look, thank you for the recommendation!

Househusband69 10-17-2021 7:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3006 (Post 26265276)
My 80 dollar Tasco works fine on hogs .

I like that price! I'll take a look, thank you so much!

waveslayer 10-17-2021 7:49 AM

Ha Ha a Tasco. Holy Shiz. Mods can we boot this guy! This poor Forum.

I wonder how well that Tasco tracks, holds zero. And withstand multiple shots! Plus for hunting, maybe airsoft!


Stay away from Tasco, Simmons, Burska, etc.

If you want really affordable SWFA but none else.

You never skimp on glass, buy once cry once. Get 1 really nice piece of glass and use it on all your rifles. Guys spend thousands on scopes to be mounted on all of their rifles. Why not spend less and use one scope on all their rifles?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

3006 10-20-2021 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waveslayer (Post 26266276)
Ha Ha a Tasco. Holy Shiz. Mods can we boot this guy! This poor Forum.

I wonder how well that Tasco tracks, holds zero. And withstand multiple shots! Plus for hunting, maybe airsoft!


Stay away from Tasco, Simmons, Burska, etc.

If you want really affordable SWFA but none else.

You never skimp on glass, buy once cry once. Get 1 really nice piece of glass and use it on all your rifles. Guys spend thousands on scopes to be mounted on all of their rifles. Why not spend less and use one scope on all their rifles?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have a Tasco on my 22.250 it shoots 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yards and no I don't mess with the adjustments in the field . But go ahead and spend 1200 bucks on a scope have fun adjusting it when a hog jumps out of the brush.:facepalm:

waveslayer 10-20-2021 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3006 (Post 26278051)
I have a Tasco on my 22.250 it shoots 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yards and no I don't mess with the adjustments in the field . But go ahead and spend 1200 bucks on a scope have fun adjusting it when a hog jumps out of the brush.:facepalm:

You're really going to say buy a Tasco scope over what I recommended! Wow...

So buy a scope you can't adjust... may as well as buy a red dot or fixed power.

Lots of recoil on a 22/250. Ha ha ha like 4.7 lbs compared a little .308 that's shooting 150gr bullet is 15.8lbs of recoil!!!

Nope your Tasco won't stand a chance. Drop your rifle on accident and see how great that zero is.

I'll go ahead and spend money where it should be spent more wisely.


I do have a question. How many scopes do you own? I ask honestly, add up all their rings and Costs, I bet you could have bought 1 really nice piece of glass that is guaranteed to hold zero and have much better glass all around . And survive a gun that actually recoils

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

socal m1 shooter 10-20-2021 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Househusband69 (Post 26265237)
Oh wow, didnít account for the light factor. Thereís so many variables to think of. Thank you so much for letting me know! Iíve looked at those leupolds that you mentioned, do you like yours?

It is a good scope, even though I had some hassles getting it mounted. Decent value. Leupold provided really exceptional assistance, I am a customer for life.

For pig hunting, being able to see in low-light conditions can be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful hunt. Every time I have hunted pigs, all the shot opportunities were when the light was low.

Check out some reviews.

Househusband69 10-20-2021 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter (Post 26278203)
It is a good scope, even though I had some hassles getting it mounted. Decent value. Leupold provided really exceptional assistance, I am a customer for life.

For pig hunting, being able to see in low-light conditions can be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful hunt. Every time I have hunted pigs, all the shot opportunities were when the light was low.

Check out some reviews.

Excellent! Thank you for the feedback on the Leupold! Iíll check out those reviews!

theLBC 10-22-2021 5:12 PM

leupold also offers a discount for active or retired MIL along with some other scope makers, so if you qualify it might be worth looking into that.

socal m1 shooter 10-22-2021 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Househusband69 (Post 26278876)
Excellent! Thank you for the feedback on the Leupold! Iíll check out those reviews!

I did not expect the level of support they provided. I have never been treated so kindly by a company. They sent me two sets of $100 MSRP rings for free.

I bought the scope to put on a .270 Ruger M77 with a tang safety. I checked the Ruger support site before buying the scope and ordered the rings Ruger said I would need for a 50mm objective bell to clear the barrel. Got the rings, got the scope, went to mount it. Main tube on the scope was about 5mm too short to fit in the Ruger rings. I reach out to Leupold, mainly to let them know, it seems kind of unreasonable to make this scope so short it won't fit on a typical rifle. I mean, how many rifles with that length action are out there? .30-'06, .270, et al. I've never had this problem with a scope before. I was not asking them for anything, just advising them of my problem. I figured to return the scope.

Leupold responds and tells me "you need such-and-such extended rings." Another $100 to mount a scope which I didn't really need in the first place, I'm not wild about that. The only reason I bought the scope was because I had some gift cards to burn. So anyway I replied to Leupold, telling them I'm already into this scope for $600 with lens covers and such, I'll just return it, it is a solution in search of a problem. I've got a hunt coming up, I need to return this new scope before the return window closes, and get the old scope (also a Leupold) sighted in again. So their rep emails back and says "We'll spiff you the rings, but they are backordered. Just wait."

So, first set of rings comes. Too low. The rep said he was certain the height was sufficient, so I called Leupold, "Hey, thanks anyway, but I'll ship these back." This rep (it was a different person each time I interacted with them, it seemed) told me "We'll send you the right ones for free." And they did.

When a company does me a kindness like that, I don't forget. I have several Leupold scopes, and I have used their warranty service before, but this was above and beyond, really going the extra mile for me. I got much better than I deserved.

FeuerFrei 10-23-2021 7:07 AM

Hog hunting in bushy country? On the flat? Combo terrain?
Hunting stationary? Blind? Stalking?

Match the sight power with the average range shot to be expected given the type of terrain.
If it's close and bushy the 4x w/oem sights will serve well enough.
Practice shooting from point blank to 200 yds with the M1A open sights.

*If you're gonna pack around an M1A get a good padded sling. ;)

Good luck OP.

waveslayer 10-23-2021 7:11 AM

You should give the NF SHV model a hard look. Zeiss just released their affordable line of scopes.

SHV is proven work horse. Not a leupold fan unless you get their Mark 5 HD series. Lots of tracking issues with Leupold

You can find some used optics on some more dedicated gun forums like Long Range Hunting, Sniper's Hide, Rockbridge. Etc

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

theduracellbigd 10-23-2021 7:35 AM

Your Leupold scope is a great scope for your application (I would have personally preferred a smaller objective) These guys that bad mouth Leupold for tracking issues are in the minority. Leupold is big with hunters for various reasons but the biggest is they are lightweight and hold zero in tough conditions(just ask any guide) For your application of hog hunting with your .270 you will not need to make adjustments(so tracking not even an issue)
Sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards, Put it on 4x and go kill a pig out to 250 yards . Your ability to hunt, and accurately shoot from various field positions(hopefully using your sling) are more important issues now that you have the right tool.

Trapper 10-24-2021 2:49 PM

I agree, tracking is not an issue for the majority of hunters who take shoots under 300 yards. With a 200 yard zero you can hold on hair from zero to 350 with most rifle cartridges.
NF makes great glass but a 30 ounce scope wouldn’t be my first choice. In my opinion you’d be paying for durability, side focus, and tracking that are beyond the needs of most hunters.
The money you save with a Leupold or Vortex can be put towards range time and ammo.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.