Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Question about off roster PPT for LEO (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1732280)

tnyvillegas 07-18-2021 9:01 AM

Question about off roster PPT for LEO

Hello everyone,

I had this in another thread and was told it didn't belong there. Hopefully I'm in the right one this time.

I'm posting this for one of my cousin that's a correctional officer at a federal prison (DOJ bureau of prisons) up on the high desert.

Last year in November he was living in AZ and purchased 2 firearms that are off roster in CA. In February he moved to California and sent in the form in to the DOJ stating what firearms he was bringing into the state.

He just received a letter titled IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THE PURCHASE AND RESALE OF NON-ROSTER HANDGUNS

He's trying to sell one of the firearms but isn't sure if he can

Oceanbob 07-18-2021 12:59 PM

If he sent the Vol Reg form then he can sell whatever he wants via private party transfer. As long as it’s not an assault weapon.

TrappedinCalifornia 07-18-2021 1:43 PM

I seem to read the advice being provided as not only being in the wrong section, but having been directed to a couple of existing threads. One such link being provided by the moderator who closed the earlier thread.

I guess the issue you need to clarify is exactly what isn't being 'answered' by those other threads that you're still puzzled over?

Particularly given that, on your original thread, you agreed that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnyvillegas
Yeah I don't even know if he's considered a LEO. But you're right I have a feeling he should be fine since he bought them legally when he was living out of state.

Such clarification might help members provide a specific answer.

Just trying to help.

tnyvillegas 07-18-2021 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia (Post 25969162)
I seem to read the advice being provided as not only being in the wrong section, but having been directed to a couple of existing threads. One such link being provided by the moderator who closed the earlier thread.

I guess the issue you need to clarify is exactly what isn't being 'answered' by those other threads that you're still puzzled over?

Particularly given that, on your original thread, you agreed that...

Such clarification might help members provide a specific answer.

Just trying to help.

I understand that but I couldn't find any thread in his situation, which is that he bought the firearms in AZ and then moved over to CA.

TrappedinCalifornia 07-18-2021 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnyvillegas (Post 25969340)
I understand that but I couldn't find any thread in his situation, which is that he bought the firearms in AZ and then moved over to CA.

The first question to answer is the one you said you weren't certain of. Does he qualify as a LEO?

You might take a look at this post from June and see which 'group' he fits into, if any.

That post is from the following sticky thread... LEO selling of Off-Roster PPT found in the portion of the forum entitled How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me; which is the section of the forum recommended for your question in the other thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garv
...If the question does not get answered fully by the above or other posters, ask this question under How CA Laws Affect/Apply To Me...

That thread being recommended in the same post.

Note it has been suggested that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by P5Ret (Post 25967099)
...it seems that quite a few people who have zero connection to LE have also gotten that letter.

If he doesn't qualify as a LEO, then where is the issue/question? If he does qualify, you might note this post from just over a week ago...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyHawk
You will have to pardon us - it gets old, there are a hundred threads on this topic.

Nothing has changed as it relates to PPT from LEO. The same people who were buying and occasionally selling off roster guns to regular joes are still doing it legally.

However now there is a *new tier* of LE types who can now buy off roster guns, where before they could not. Those new class of LE types have restrictions on who they can sell them to. I don't want to say these new tier LE people are not real-LE, they are - but they are not front-line types like CHP/PD/Sheriff

tnyvillegas 07-18-2021 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia (Post 25969473)
The first question to answer is the one you said you weren't certain of. Does he qualify as a LEO?

You might take a look at this post from June and see which 'group' he fits into, if any.

That post is from the following sticky thread... LEO selling of Off-Roster PPT found in the portion of the forum entitled How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me; which is the section of the forum recommended for your question in the other thread...

That thread being recommended in the same post.

Note it has been suggested that...

If he doesn't qualify as a LEO, then where is the issue/question? If he does qualify, you might note this post from just over a week ago...

Thank you very much!

Librarian 07-18-2021 6:36 PM

Many posts on this - moved and closed as duplicate

mossy 07-20-2021 10:56 PM

BOP employees are federal law enforcement officers. They are group 1 per the DOJ letter. BOP CO's can buy off roster and sell to anyone who can legally own a firearm. Now that we have that cleared up lemme get a roll of TP I'm out.