Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ammo and Reloading (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   What to do with bad ammo (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1751174)

kris smith 10-13-2021 6:19 PM

What to do with bad ammo

I have 253 rounds of 41 rafted royal labs 303 mk7 and I fired off about 5 rounds tonight and everyone was a click bang or just a click. Leads me to believe this batch has gone off. Should I break it down for the bullets and scrap the rest or do people collect this stuff to not shoot. The brass is berdan primed. And has cordite loading.

Sig so sour of ca 10-13-2021 6:37 PM

Pull it, get rid of the cordite, and look up a load with smokeless. My fiend did this with his martini rounds. He ended up drilling out the primers and uses shotgun primers instead.

jsanch03 10-13-2021 6:54 PM

You can convert those cases to accept a boxer primer. I have converted quite a bit of steel cases to accept standard large rifle primers but only use the converted cases for my cast loads. It does require a ďsleeveĒ since the diameter is a bit larger in those primer pockets. I do not recommend drilling any of the cases that have a live primer. Obvious I know but had to mention it. If the primers are not igniting the cordite then it will more then likely not ignite the powder but to play devils advocate try a few rounds with the original primer with some powder. 4895 or 4064 should be good to go with 303.

Does the cordite have any burnt residue???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kris smith 10-13-2021 7:00 PM

I havenít pulled any yet. I plan on pulling for the bullets to load into modern boxer cases. And selling or scrapping the rest

jsanch03 10-13-2021 10:18 PM

If the cordite shows signs of being partly burned or has residue then you will Atleast know the primers are good and itís the cordite that may be aged. Cordite is probably taking some time to fully burn in the case. Back when I had my Enfield (regret selling it) I pulled a few bullets just to see what cordite looked like. Itís like a time capsule considering the technology of that ammo

bigbossman 10-14-2021 9:14 AM

I'd either pull the bullets for reuse and toss the rest, or pull the bullets, replace the cordite with an appropriate smokeless powder load, reseat the bullet, and shoot them.

kris smith 10-14-2021 12:00 PM

I think Iím going to pull the bullets for reuse I think the primers have gone off. Iím not sure about the cordite going off. But Iíll just toss it in the fire for fun

divingin 10-15-2021 7:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsanch03 (Post 26256049)
Back when I had my Enfield (regret selling it) I pulled a few bullets just to see what cordite looked like.

Did you get a hankering for spaghetti?

jsanch03 10-15-2021 7:49 AM

Haha more like an appetite for crumpets and tea lad

The cordite smelled pretty weird when I lit it by itself

Supertankerm60a3 11-01-2021 7:23 PM

Would you be interested in selling the Cordite?

Beelzy 11-03-2021 8:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsanch03 (Post 26260244)
Haha more like an appetite for crumpets and tea lad

The cordite smelled pretty weird when I lit it by itself

Ahh, the smell of burnt Cordite...that takes me back.

Supertankerm60a3 11-03-2021 9:32 AM

I put up a WTB in the market place.

hermosabeach 11-03-2021 9:36 AM

drop them in the dud barrel at the range

to me, the headache of a squib getting stuck in the barrel is not worth it

also... with cordite- wait 60-120 seconds before running the bolt.

if cordite has gotten wet, it can smolder and really give you a delay with ignition.

no need to have a KB while you are opening the bolt