Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Installing Tech Sights, need to drill/tap the front sight location (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1841789)

Ishootforblood 01-24-2023 2:29 PM

Installing Tech Sights, need to drill/tap the front sight location

2 Attachment(s)
The Rifle is a Savage MK2 FV SR model. (See attached photos). The Customer Service Guy at Tech Sights suggested I use the Marlin Version because the rear sight is identical, and the front sight requires a single hole to hold the front sight in place. The Savage version requires a dovetail be cut. I have a drill press, and the tap, etc., and I’ve done simple jobs in the past. It’s a standard 6/48 screw. However, in this case locating the location to drill and getting it straight is the issue I’m concerned about. I’m considering using a straight edge aligned with the rear sight holes, and perhaps attaching the front sight temporarily with an adhesive or even tape, and then firing a few rounds to confirm or “fire for adjust.” I could then mark the drill location. I know there are jigs or fixtures (Forester) but I don’t want to buy one because they’re $400+. I know Randall is the “go to guy” but I’m located near Palm Springs.

Suggestions and stupid comments are always welcomed. If you know a good smith in my area, that might be my best option. I don’t want an AR parts changer to give it a try; I can botch the job myself! Thanks in advance.

'ol shooter 01-24-2023 2:37 PM

A good local machine shop can do that for you, call around.

ar15barrels 01-24-2023 9:26 PM

A straight edge off the rear screws is not going to be accurate enough.
What you want to do is drill in the dead center of the barrel.

If you want to do it yourself, consider getting one of these to mark where dead center is:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...r-prod592.aspx

Obviously, you need to have the barrelled action mounted solidly on your drill press and square so when you find the center, you are also finding the top.

ar15barrels 01-24-2023 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishootforblood (Post 27599550)
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, my drill press & vise doesn’t have precision adjustability. Getting things locked down & level would be a challenge. I’m reconsidering the dovetail front sight option. In that scenario I could drift the front sight as needed.

It would likely be harder for you to cut a dovetail square to the action than to drill a hole square to the action.
It sounds like you are going to have to pay someone else to do this for you either way so I would go with the drilled/tapped hole over the dovetail.
I would not trust anyone without a milling machine to do the job but that's just my experience of having done the job so many times.
I only do this job on the milling machine as that's the best way to get the receiver squared and the hole in the center of the barrel.
None of the drill and tap fixtures sold to do this job in shops without a milling machine give me the warm and fuzzies.

kendog4570 01-25-2023 8:55 AM

Center of barrel is one aspect. Round receivers offer very little or nothing at all to get the hole or dovetail square to the horizontal plane. About the only way on this one is register off of a scope base attached to the receiver. Another way is to mount the rear sight, and use a GOOD collimator and some hot glue to position the front. Then pick up the hole.
Be careful you dont drill the hole and vent it all at the same time... :-0

Best to take it to someone that knows what they are doing and has the equipment.

kendog4570 01-25-2023 9:18 AM

I forgot to add...Hot glue is removed completely and almost instantaneous with a little alcohol.

ar15barrels 01-25-2023 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishootforblood (Post 27601323)
I found what I believe is a credible gunsmith in Thousand Palms.
He said that he might be able to get it done before Summer. :confused:

This is a 15-20 minute job.
It is certainly further for you to drive to my place, but you only have to drive it once because I do the work while you wait.
I can get you in before black history month starts.