PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling brass post reload

hundy
10-24-2014, 5:11 PM
I have been reloading for quite awhile. I have always tumbled my brass with media and polish prior to reloading. I was curious if anyone has ever tumbled brass after reloading. I was considering tumbling my bottle neck rifle rounds after reloading to get the lube and every thing that sticks to the lube during the reload process.
Now I have not done this yet, because I cant help but wonder if that is safe. I don't really see the harm, but the thought is there.
I was considering maybe 30 minutes in straight corn media just to remove all the stuff from the process.

Thank you

Jay

Bikertrash
10-24-2014, 5:13 PM
I do it without any issues.

Germz
10-24-2014, 5:35 PM
IN BEFORE SOMEONE CLAIMS ITS SUPER DANGEROUS AND SAYS, "DON'T DO IT!!!!"

Seriously. It's fine though...they will not explode or ignite, anyone who states that it's a definite is just spreading FUD.
I tumbled 9mm for some 4 hours or so and guess what? Nothing went boom.

hundy
10-24-2014, 5:40 PM
Thank you for the replies. I did not think anything would happen, but I feel better asking. I appreciate the help

Jay

highpower790
10-24-2014, 6:03 PM
the possibility is their to increase the burning rate of the powder.

Germz
10-24-2014, 7:06 PM

an hour in a tumbler does not even compare to the amount of rattling, rumbling, and jiggling that factory ammunition undertakes as it's being produced, packaged, palletized, shipped, and sold.

the ammo will be fine :)

Full Clip
10-24-2014, 7:13 PM
I've also tumbled tarnished old factory ammo, just to make it pretty again...

Bumslie
10-24-2014, 7:18 PM
seriously my post from yesterday...

Sigh. I think I post this link at least once a year. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/989047_Tumble_live_ammo_Tumbler_Oandapos__thruth_E XTREME_edition__200hour_torture_test__UPDATE__fire d_rounds_in_OP.html

'ol shooter
10-24-2014, 7:47 PM
Honestly don't know why I would need to tumble these again.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z418/olshooter/loads_zps443cad3b.jpg

Braddah Jay
10-24-2014, 7:52 PM
Just the thought of one of the bullet tips from a 223/556 making contact on one of the primers on another round just makes me a little nervous.

OldShooter32
10-24-2014, 7:59 PM
I tumble the brass to remove the lube after resizing before priming and trimming. Why wait until they are loaded? You don't need lube in a seating die.

Bumslie
10-24-2014, 8:00 PM
Just the thought of one of the bullet tips from a 223/556 making contact on one of the primers on another round just makes me a little nervous.
Carry loose rounds in an ammo can?

There's nothing wrong with being cautious, but spreading fud (like the self defense shooting your own reloads crap) is different

I tumble the brass to remove the lube after resizing before priming and trimming. Why wait until they are loaded? You don't need lube in a seating die.

I use a lube die for reloading 223. So from clean empty case to finish product in one sitting. Different stokes for different folks.

stilly
10-25-2014, 1:40 AM
But the REAL question remains...

What would happen if you tumbled wet + ss post loading?

certainly would need to seal the primers and bullets I would think...

SonofWWIIDI
10-25-2014, 2:21 AM
We need a YouTube video showing how much force it takes to ignite a primer.

Maybe a primer in a sawed off case (no pill), locked into a vice or something and a way to take the tip of a 5.56 pill and tap on the primer with various amounts of force until it goes bang.

Personally I don't think that the energy exerted inside a tumbler would be sufficient to ignite the primer. Even if the tip of a projectile struck it squarely.

JMO

Kurgan
10-25-2014, 3:12 AM
I've tumbled tens of thousands of loaded pistol rounds.

How do you think factory ammo is cleaned after loading?

'ol shooter
10-25-2014, 8:01 AM
I've tumbled tens of thousands of loaded pistol rounds.

How do you think factory ammo is cleaned after loading?

You just gotta have that "showroom shine". :cool2:

jonzer77
10-25-2014, 8:21 AM
Why would you tumble after loading ammo? A simple quick inspection before putting the ammo in an ammo can is all you need. You are going to shoot it, not enter it into some beauty pageant.

tujungatoes
10-25-2014, 9:34 AM
:shrug:Sometimes you just want pretty ammo

JagerDog
10-25-2014, 10:09 AM
I usually tumble for a 1/2 hour. Removes any remaining lube, fingerprint oils, etc. They might get stockpiled for a long time and when opened look pretty much like when I boxed 'em. Just cosmetic, but they can look pretty ugly coming out of storage depending what was on your hands prior to boxing them.

Yreka
10-25-2014, 10:19 AM

This is what I do as well

jonzer77
10-25-2014, 10:43 AM
I usually tumble for a 1/2 hour. Removes any remaining lube, fingerprint oils, etc. They might get stockpiled for a long time and when opened look pretty much like when I boxed 'em. Just cosmetic, but they can look pretty ugly coming out of storage depending what was on your hands prior to boxing them.

I use latex gloves when I reload and so the oils from my hands never touch any components. When I take the loaded ammo out a year later, it looks exactly the same.

JMP
10-25-2014, 11:07 AM
For pistol, I see no harm in shining them up a bit. For cheap FMJ small rifle ammo, again, no harm, and it'll make the cases a bit more slick for cycling. For carefully loaded precision ammo, it's not a good idea.

Please explain.
Hypothetically, if a primer did spontaneously combust, do you know how the cartridge would respond in a neutral, unsupported position, buffered by media?
This is the canonical process for rifle.
I use latex gloves when I reload and so the oils from my hands never touch any components. When I take the loaded ammo out a year later, it looks exactly the same.
Many people can't afford latex gloves. You probably also have a blue press.

highpower790
10-25-2014, 11:59 AM
an hour in a tumbler does not even compare to the amount of rattling, rumbling, and jiggling that factory ammunition undertakes as it's being produced, packaged, palletized, shipped, and sold.

the ammo will be fine :)

tumbling after loading is nothing more than being lazy.

09cs
10-25-2014, 12:15 PM

I do this as well

But I can see if you're on a progressive or something and are doing them in bulk, you don't want to be just resizing/decapping, tumble again, then continue

croue
10-25-2014, 2:55 PM
I don't tumble, nor do I remove the lube after sizing. I use the Horny one shot lube. Have used some of the wax lube occasionally. But never felt the need to remove it as its not exactly dripping off or slimy. Should I be more anal retentive, or what?

JMP
10-25-2014, 3:02 PM
I don't tumble, nor do I remove the lube after sizing. I use the Horny one shot lube. Have used some of the wax lube occasionally. But never felt the need to remove it as its not exactly dripping off or slimy. Should I be more anal retentive, or what?

For a little volatile spray lube, it's probably no biggy. If you are using wax that stays on the case, is it not fouling your chamber?

Tok36
10-25-2014, 3:46 PM
3SlOXowwC4c

TomReloaded
10-25-2014, 5:08 PM
I gotta admit, the first thing that went through my mind was some horrible explosion and dead bodies flying through the air :lol: Just a knee-jerk reaction, primers will take a beating... Im sure we've all had soft strikes trying to shoot a hard primer.

Theres no concern about bullet set back? Probably a non issue with a pistol round, but id imagine this isnt a practice the benchrest guys are doing?

hundy
10-26-2014, 4:37 PM
Why would you tumble after loading ammo? A simple quick inspection before putting the ammo in an ammo can is all you need. You are going to shoot it, not enter it into some beauty pageant.

I understand wondering why one would do it. I never thought about until recently. This quote sums it up.

I would wipe down all the cartridges when I was done. The rag would get saturated with the lube. Everything would stick to them, fingerprints would show. I may store them for a while. I am not looking for "pretty" ammo, just something that comes out clean, whenever I decide to use it. I also don't want to put all the stuff the lube collects in my firearm. I have been wiping down for years, but only the first few really get clean or lube free.
This what my thinking was on the subject.

Thank you for all the feedback

Jay