PDA

View Full Version : Do I have any viable options here?

RabidFuzzle
10-20-2014, 5:52 PM
Long story short. I have come across a custom gunsmith in Georgia. He makes beautiful 1911s. I want one. Due to his queue of customers, there is no way he could complete a build for me in time to SSE one. Do I have any other options to legally acquire one of his pieces of art legally in this state?

JDay
10-20-2014, 6:00 PM
Your only option is to move out of state unless you find one for sale from a private party. Well that or become a cop.

Sent from my LG G3

RabidFuzzle
10-20-2014, 6:09 PM
Kinda what I figured. According to him there are none of his in the state yet, so private party won't be an option.

fiddletown
10-20-2014, 6:13 PM
Long story short. I have come across a custom gunsmith in Georgia. He makes beautiful 1911s. I want one. Due to his queue of customers, there is no way he could complete a build for me in time to SSE one. Do I have any other options to legally acquire one of his pieces of art legally in this state?Many custom 1911 pistolsmiths will start with a suitable, base gun -- something like a Springfield or Colt. You could buy an "on-roster" gun and then have it customized.

I did that some years ago when I had two Colts, a Commander and an Officer's ACP, redone by Jason Burton at Heirloom Precision.

Talk to the gunsmith and find out if that would work.

BTW, if you're thinking of John Harrison (Harrison Designs), he's excellent. He's done work for me. His work is first class, and he was great to work with.

RabidFuzzle
10-20-2014, 6:19 PM
Many custom 1911 pistolsmiths will start with a suitable, base gun -- something like a Springfield or Colt. You could buy an "on-roster" gun and then have it customized.

Do you know if it would still be legal if I started with just a frame from an on roster 1911?

BTW, if you're thinking of John Harrison (Harrison Designs), he's excellent. He's done work for me. His work is first class, and he was great to work with.

The guy I am wanting to work with is Chris James of Combat Precision Technologies.

Thanks for the info!

pacrat
10-20-2014, 6:29 PM
Long story short. I have come across a custom gunsmith in Georgia. He makes beautiful 1911s. I want one. Due to his queue of customers, there is no way he could complete a build for me in time to SSE one. Do I have any other options to legally acquire one of his pieces of art legally in this state?

If the pistol is already yours. As in buy it now all legal like here. Then it is legal to send it out of state to a FFL "gunsmith" for repairs/modifications. He could then ship it directly back to you.

fiddletown
10-20-2014, 6:36 PM
Do you know if it would still be legal if I started with just a frame from an on roster 1911?...You'd buy the whole, on-roster, gun. So now it's yours, and you can have it modified however to like (except for some illegal stuff like a threaded barrel or full auto).

...The guy I am wanting to work with is Chris James of Combat Precision Technologies....I don't know about him. Checked his website, and it looks like he builds some nice guns.

It looks like he likes to start with his choice of frame and slide, and that would be a problem for you. So you'll need to see if he start with one of the on-roster Springfield or Colt models.