PDA

View Full Version : 380 & WSF

DRAB_81
10-05-2014, 4:02 PM
I'll start off by saying that I've been reloading for 5 or 6 years. I have also done some experimental/exploratory loading in the past (9x25 Dillon using Longshot & at the time I couldn't find anyone on any forum who had ever used Longshot in the 9x25. That resulted in a 95gr XTP @ 2050fps by the the way) .

My question is, has anyone tried or know of anyone who has tried WSF for 380?

I realize Winchester doesn't publish any data for 380/WSF. Since WSF is widely known as a cleaner, better metering Unique & tons of people use Unique for 380, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Winchester doesn't publish data for WST in 9mm, and tons of competition shooters use combo, so I'm not terribly worried about it. I would think that since WSF is fairly slow, it should also be fairly forgiving. I use WSF for everything except 10mm, and I can't find W231/HP38 ANYWHERE, so I'm hoping this will work out.

noylj
10-05-2014, 4:23 PM
I am sure it will work. However, for a very short case like the .380, there may not be a lot of room for experimentation. WSF is usually, slower than Unique by quite a bit, more in the Herco rate of burning.
I would probably call Hodgdon and ask them if they have any data—they often have unpublished data that they will share.
This is just me and is not a recommendation for anything YOU should do, but if I was forced to load .380 and was forced to use WSF, I would start with 90gn bullets and ~3.4gn or 95gn bullets and ~3.2gn. Being very cautious, I might even start at 3.0gn for both.
This should be more than enough powder to get the bullet out the barrel but should be low enough that the gun may not cycle. Then, I would work up the load in 0.2gn steps until the gun cycles 100% and stop right there. Don't do this, though, as you aren't me.
You might want to buy QuickLoad if you enjoy using powders without loading data available.

DRAB_81
10-05-2014, 5:24 PM
Thanks for the help, I think I'll give it a shot. I never thought I would have a reason to load 380, but now I have a G42 to feed. I planned on starting at 3.0gr, so I'm glad that you agree it's a good place to start, hypothetically...

I'll call Hodgdon tomorrow. I didn't even consider it because I called them a few years ago about 9mm/WST data & they strongly recommended that I not use it for 9mm.