PDA

View Full Version : Minimum OAL on 30.06 with 150gr jacketed.

2meterB
10-05-2014, 12:31 PM
My dies came today, so I started setting them up.

The paper says 150gr with 4064 on 30.06 needs a min OAL of 3.33
However, at 3.33 very little of the projectile is actually in the neck.

At 3.235, all of the cannelure is mostly past the neck. (I'm not planning on crimping anyway but...)

My second source, IMR, says 3.25" which will have all of the cannelure outside of the shell.

And hodgson is at 3.3

Just looking at different manuf: Accurate has the 150gr HDY BTFMJ at 3.185 minimum OAL.

Using Hornady 150gr FMJBT

OpenSightsOnly
10-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Not all bullets are the same . . .

If you are using Hornady bullets, you, as reference, ought to use the Hornady reloading manual.

The Hornady manual for 30-06 and 150 gr FMJ-BT has an OAL of 3.185".

You should have at least two reloading manuals as reference.

2meterB
10-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks! I usually use Lee and (Powder) Manufacturer's manual.

Just ordered the Hornady manual as well. Can't be too careful.

OpenSightsOnly
10-05-2014, 1:07 PM
I use the IMR/Hodgdon website for comps . . .

BTW, if you get a chance, buy the Hornaday OAL gauge/bullet comparator since that will allow you to measure OAL based on ogive as opposed to tip of the bullet to cartridge base.

Using ogive gives you consistency.

krwada
10-05-2014, 1:23 PM
The 1st thing:
More information from more sources, (reloading manuals), is a very good thing.

That said:
For folks who are starting this addiction; you should focus on getting safe reliable loads. Actually; this is pretty good advice for all reloaders

For OAL; I recommend the following:
1. Start with the OAL recommended by the projectile mfr. (Hornady in your case)
2. Do not concern yourself with getting that optimum OAL. You need to focus on getting safe reliable loads 1st.
3. You need to make a dummy round to check the OAL for the rifle you plan to shoot with.
4. A dummy round is a round with no primer, no powder and ONLY a projectile properly seated into the empty cartridge
5. You should put the dummy round in the magazine of your rifle to test cycling of the action and the feed and ejection of the round from your receiver.

After you figure all of this out with the OAL you selected ... then you can do either of the following:

Press a few rounds near the bottom of the test range and try them out at the range.

Work up a ladder starting from the recommended minimum loads to near the maximum. Personally, I never get to the maximum because I have never gotten decent results at the max loads. Plus ... it seems safer to test the ladder to just below the max load anyhow.

2shotjoe
10-05-2014, 1:39 PM
I do clip length.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

highpower790
10-05-2014, 4:27 PM
Reloading 06 is to easy,just dont exceed what the military has loaded in the past and youll be fine!

Bumslie
10-05-2014, 5:13 PM
3.30 for me using the Hornady 3037's 155 gr for my garand.

NRAhighpowershooter
10-06-2014, 10:09 AM
The current 30cal 150gr fmj's are tailored for the 308 M80. which is why you have so much crimping groove exposed above the neck.
The 3.33" measurement will be achieved using the 150gr flat base bullets which is what the M2Ball ammo is.. unfortunately the 150gr flat base is only
available from foreign sources and can be bought from Widners.