Abenaki
10-04-2014, 9:51 PM
Any thoughts on Geco brass?

A guy I know wants to trade me some.

Take care
Abenaki

stilly
10-04-2014, 11:39 PM
never heard of it. Even with the interwebs at my fingertips...

I am sure it would be very easy to google it, but I have a mental block of some sort and just going and looking it up could possibly give me something better than this to say, but it would not be genuine and more like cheating...

SO, brass is brass unless it is eggshell easy to break and paper thin... If it looks fine with normal primer marks, then go for it...

John Joseph
10-05-2014, 6:06 AM
Geco is European, probably once fired stuff? Places like big Five and WalMart have been selling Geco and similar "off" brands since the shortage.
It could be good.
It could be bad.
Why not ask him for a sampling and see for yourself?
Especially look to see if the primer pocket is a standard size.
Some European manufacturers make them either too small or too large to accept US primers.

mjmagee67
10-05-2014, 10:18 AM
I've loaded Geco 9mm brass, it's kinda funky. 2 things come to mind, 1 the flash holes are small so the depriming pin on my Dillon dies punches through it to open it up. It makes the first reload awkward. 2 there is something about them that make the AOL long!! It's weird but my RL550 is set up to give my 9mm an AOL of 1.125 +/-.005 no matter which brass I've used that's what I get (WIN, CCI, R-P, Speer, Blazer, FC, Fiocchi, GFL and so on) But with the Geco brass I get 1.137 AOL. So I won't reload them anymore, I have plenty of other brass that works fine with my set up. YMMV of course.

cruddymutt
10-05-2014, 8:31 PM
Geco 223 does NOT make good 300 BLK. Jams up chambers. Seems good for 223 and 6x45 though.

ptmn
10-06-2014, 12:06 AM
I've loaded Geco 9mm brass, it worked ok for me. Wasn't any better than other cases, other than the case head seems to be slightly larger than SAAMI spec. It still fits in the Shell holder, but sometimes it is a little tight. One of these days I'll measure a case head and compare it to US made brass

J-cat
10-06-2014, 4:54 AM
Geco makes premium ammo in Germany. The brass is very very hard. That's why you end up with long OAL- cuz the bullet resists seating and swages itself into or collapses against the seater stem. You can employ a .38/.357" expander to cure this but it may not be worth the effort.

The brass is very nice, but I chuck it because it destroys bullets during seating.

sargenv
10-06-2014, 6:31 AM
Many years ago, I recall a friend using Geco brass for 9mm. It apparently at the time had the largest amount of space internally and was his choice for loading hot 9mm loads in. I've sometimes found it to be the brass found in Fiocchi ammo boxes..

justMike
10-08-2014, 11:47 PM
My observations tell me that Geco and RWS 9mm are very much alike/same. Haven't loaded any of either though.

gregshin
10-09-2014, 6:37 AM
I load it with no problems in 9mm