PDA

View Full Version : Questions With Autocomp

JBoutfishn
09-24-2014, 5:09 PM
As I was running low on HP-38, the only thing available was an 8 lb jug of Autocomp. I first loaded 6.7 gr under 200 gr PLRN X-Treme that came up a little shy of Major Power Factor in my 1911 45 ACP. This load produced cases showing powder blow back. I upped the load to 6.9 which made power factor but I am still am getting powder blow back on the cases.

There are no signs of pressure and I could increase to 7.1g. I don't consider this a big deal but was wondering if the burning curve of Autocomp is causing the issue and that is the way it is going to be. Thought about using mag primers because Autocomp is a ball powder. Any thoughts?

mjmagee67
09-25-2014, 9:07 AM
I just want an 8 lbs jug of Autocomp. I use Autocomp in my 38 Super open gun, it's a slower non mag pistol powder that generates lots of gas. That is why I use it in my open gun, the gas drives the comp. My opinion is it really is too slow for 45acp. Autocomp seems to built pressure slower than most powders and may be best in high pressure loads, which may be the reason the case is not sealing the chamber well.

Autocomp was designed and marketed for handguns with compensators hence the name AutoCOMP.

Carcassonne
09-25-2014, 9:37 AM
I just want an 8 lbs jug of Autocomp. I use Autocomp in my 38 Super open gun, it's a slower non mag pistol powder that generates lots of gas. That is why I use it in my open gun, the gas drives the comp. My opinion is it really is too slow for 45acp. Autocomp seems to built pressure slower than most powders and may be best in high pressure loads, which may be the reason the case is not sealing the chamber well.

Autocomp was designed and marketed for handguns with compensators hence the name AutoCOMP.

Have you noticed a difference in compensator performance between Autocomp and other powder?

I have used Autocomp with 200 grain lead SWC in a 45ACP, and the results were great.

Does anyone know if Autocomp is the same as CFE Pistol? Winchester Autocomp and Hodgdon CFE Pistol are right next to each other on the Hdgdon powder burn rate chart? Hodgdon HP-38 and Winchester 231 are also next to each other, and they are the same powder.

mjmagee67
09-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Have you noticed a difference in compensator performance between Autocomp and other powder?

I have used Autocomp with 200 grain lead SWC in a 45ACP, and the results were great.

Does anyone know if Autocomp is the same as CFE Pistol? Winchester Autocomp and Hodgdon CFE Pistol are right next to each other on the Hdgdon powder burn rate chart? Hodgdon HP-38 and Winchester 231 are also next to each other, and they are the same powder.

CFE and Autocomp are not the same powder, it seems to take more CFE than Autocomp to get the same velocity.

Loading for open guns is not for the faint of heart, my loads are regularly 1.2 to 1.6 grains over published maxs. I'm pushing a 115gr bullet at 1480 fps! So as far as how Autocomp works, it works well the gun runs flat and the dot is easy to track. I've used HS-6 and VV 3N37 the 3N37 works the best in my opinion, but it's hard to find, which is why I use Autocomp for now.

I'm old school I like fast powders, so I use Bullseye, my load is 5.0gr under either 230gr RN or 200gr SWC, mixed cases and primers.