PDA

View Full Version : Best Chronograph.

USMCM16A2
09-24-2014, 1:44 PM
Folks,

In your experience, which is the best lower priced chronograph. I need just a basic one to chrono my loads. A2

23's Dad
09-24-2014, 3:12 PM
I really like how handy the Magnetospeed is. I've got a V2, but Midway is adverting a sale on the new V3.

Can't chrono semi-auto pistols, or revolvers with less than 6" bbls, unless the ejector is fully shrouded, but works great for rifles.

I like that I don't have to use an entire line break to set it up, only to find that it's not working or mis-aligned.

The Magnetospeed bayonet setup is pretty slick!

Eljay
09-24-2014, 3:43 PM
Those do look cool but most of us want to chrono semi auto rounds at least occasionally.

The CED Pro Chrono works really well and it's around $100. The remote control is extra so if you're using it at a public range you would set it up 10' from the bench and either jot down the number after each shot (if you can read it) or take good notes about how many shots you made of what and figure it out later. Just something to be aware of.

highpower790
09-24-2014, 4:33 PM
Get the chrony,its all most people need.

JMP
09-24-2014, 4:36 PM
Cheap chronos are cheap chronos; they are good for testing the consistency of your velocity. However, I'd not take them to the bank as they can be sensitive to light and angular set up. They provide a good starting point, and you can best corroborate your results with an LRF, a Kestrel 4500, the properties of the projectile (weight, length, diameter, G1 BC, G7 BC), and a scope that accurately tracks. After a few shooting sessions at various ranges and conditions with the same load and rifle, you should have your velocity at muzzle nailed down pretty closely.

samcam13
09-24-2014, 6:09 PM
Chrony is good but finicky. Great If you shoot in overcast conditions. Everytime I shoot in bright sunlight even with the shades I start to get errors unless I get it situated just right. Or wait till noon when it is hottest LOL and the sun is directly over the shades....

Yreka
09-24-2014, 6:43 PM
Look at the Chrony Alpha Master.. Bang for the $$ starts to drop off pretty quickly after this price point for what we do, but YMMV.

Now THIS on the other hand, I would pony up for just for the convenience (assuming it works as advertised once it comes out)

http://mylabradar.com/

stilly
09-24-2014, 11:42 PM
I hate them, but chrony brand stuff is good when it works. AND cheap at just under or around $100

popeye4
09-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Look at the Chrony Alpha Master.. Bang for the $$ starts to drop off pretty quickly after this price point for what we do, but YMMV.

Now THIS on the other hand, I would pony up for just for the convenience (assuming it works as advertised once it comes out)

http://mylabradar.com/

THAT looks like a cool new toy! Being a professional gizmologist, I will also need to get one......

smoothy8500
09-25-2014, 6:52 PM
I use a Chrony too. Works good for me.

toddh
09-25-2014, 8:46 PM
I've also been looking recently, and found the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit to have everything you need for under $125....some places are more. OOS at a few places, so you gotta search to find the best prices in stock.

Chrono, tripod, extra wide diffusers
This also includes a 25ft cord to attach to your your smart phone/tablet (app included) for display, recording numbers, etc.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_100014067_1.jpg

LynnJr
09-25-2014, 9:01 PM
nail a 5 gallon bucket onto a saw horse after you have cut both ends off of it. Place the Chrony inside the bucket and you don't need the sky screens or uprights.

stilly
09-26-2014, 8:57 AM
nail a 5 gallon bucket onto a saw horse after you have cut both ends off of it. Place the Chrony inside the bucket and you don't need the sky screens or uprights.

OR, get yourself a compact tripod that will fit inside the 5 gallon bucket, and a tripod screw (all over on fleabay in different lengths) and a fender washer and a GAMMA lid and make sure that 5 gallon bucket is WHITE and you have a REALLY cool portable setup... (no need to cut a hole out either, just shoot it out...

jimboone
09-28-2014, 9:54 AM

Can you some post pictures of this? My mind isn't as flexible as it used to be.:D