PDA

View Full Version : Why is pistol powder so unavailable?

Kappy
09-22-2014, 9:06 PM
I've been able to find rifle powder. It's sort of out there. I eventually was even able to find 8# of 4064. For some reason... I still can't find any kind of pistol powder.

What gives?

If I was able to find pistol powder and .22lr rounds, I'd almost be comfortable.

Pablo5959
09-22-2014, 9:21 PM
There has to be a shortage of something.
Stock up on primers while you can.
Then when powder comes back and primers become scarce you'll be set.
Pablo

tylenol9999
09-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Its out there, but not for long. I see pistol powder pop up on gunbot from time to time, but unless you are near a computer you don't stand a chance. It seems like things are improving a bit thought.

bigedp51
09-22-2014, 11:05 PM
I've been able to find rifle powder. It's sort of out there. I eventually was even able to find 8# of 4064. For some reason... I still can't find any kind of pistol powder.

What gives?

If I was able to find pistol powder and .22lr rounds, I'd almost be comfortable.

Because so many people like "YOU" ask this question in forums and start buying panics.

I have to go now and check all the local gun shops, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Big5, Dicks, Sears, Walmart, etc. for powder!!!!!!

Just kidding, but I was in a Canadian reloading forum and a person was asking the same question. And the answer is supply and demand and the demand is higher than the supply. And I sometimes wonder if the Government and military are buying "LARGE" quantities of ammo for the U.S. and our so called mid east friends.

stilly
09-22-2014, 11:39 PM

What gives?

Different powders come in and out.

What kind you lookin for?

at_liberty
09-23-2014, 4:44 AM
The standard answer always reflects denial of the impact of government agency mega-orders. Supply and demand is an easy answer, but what about demand without supply?

tylenol9999
09-23-2014, 7:17 AM
The standard answer always reflects denial of the impact of government agency mega-orders. Supply and demand is an easy answer, but what about demand without supply?

Supply is there. Is there enough supply to meet the demand no, but in the last few weeks I bought 12 lbs of pistol powder and turned down 8 lbs more.

at_liberty
09-23-2014, 9:48 AM
Supply is there.

Nonsense! Hurray for fortunate local anecdotes, but the market has hardly recovered. We are, after all, discussing the shortage here.

klewan
09-23-2014, 9:54 AM
Supply is there. Is there enough supply to meet the demand no, but in the last few weeks I bought 12 lbs of pistol powder and turned down 8 lbs more.

There's the OP's answer right there. When the powder was available, you bought a pound, no more than you needed for the next month or so. Now, it's 'I don't know when it will be back in stock' so they buy anything and everything they can get in their paws. Or buy anything in stock and use it to trade, even if you have absolutely no use for that powder.

Probably 70% of the powder bought in the last couple of years is just sitting, waiting until they finally work their way thru the rest of the stuff they're hoarding...these are the guys that would use 5 pounds a year and have a 50 pound stash...

tylenol9999
09-23-2014, 10:26 AM
There's the OP's answer right there. When the powder was available, you bought a pound, no more than you needed for the next month or so. Now, it's 'I don't know when it will be back in stock' so they buy anything and everything they can get in their paws. Or buy anything in stock and use it to trade, even if you have absolutely no use for that powder.

Probably 70% of the powder bought in the last couple of years is just sitting, waiting until they finally work their way thru the rest of the stuff they're hoarding...these are the guys that would use 5 pounds a year and have a 50 pound stash...

If you want to buy a single pound of powder online that is your choice. I am going to buy enough to make it worthwhile to cover shipping and hazmat fee.

phdo
09-23-2014, 10:39 AM
If you want to buy a single pound of powder online that is your choice. I am going to buy enough to make it worthwhile to cover shipping and hazmat fee.

I do the same thing. I'm not going to buy a little order and waste money on shipping and hazmat. If I can't get 10lbs of what I want from a vendor, I don't buy any. Sometimes I will put in a couple boxes of primers to make it worthwhile. I've been lucky with pistol powder. Cabela's had a big shipment about a month ago and I stocked up. It's out there. You just have to get lucky.

'ol shooter
09-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Spotty to be sure, but if you're patient you can find some. I just bought 5 lbs. CFE Pistol and am in process of getting some 4227. I keep a wad of cash in the safe for when it comes around.

roc_my_tims
09-23-2014, 12:03 PM
If your personally shooting 5 lbs of pistol powder a year, your having more fun than me...

Ahh one day to have the extra time and $ to shot until my hearts content lol

___M|9||___
09-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Just got 16lbs of w231 so I'm not sure what you guys are talking about?

___M|9||___
09-23-2014, 12:35 PM
It's there, stop looking where everyone else is looking and you'll find some!

Mot Mi
09-23-2014, 1:36 PM
Powder is there you just arent looking hard enough. Ive seen every single powder come in stock and in the last month pistol powder has been more readily available. There was 800x and 700x available for at least 4 hours from powder valley two weeks ago. Yes, those powders suck in terms of metering but it shouldnt stop you if you needed powder. Instead of buying one or two pounds of powder buy enough to last until this pistol powder frenzy comes to a stop. My distributor has been having titegroup and autocomp in constantly so I dont really see no shortage.

Sunday
09-23-2014, 1:54 PM
I won't pay double the price like some shops are asking for their 22 ammo. I am jot that dumb.

'ol shooter
09-23-2014, 3:46 PM
I am paying market prices. I am not dumb either. When someone wants to unload unneeded powder at a fair price, I am there with cash. I already have a good stash, so I don't need a lot of powder. I wanted to try CFE Pistol, and the price was right. I need some 4227, and found some that the seller is willing to ship, again at a fair price. I only buy when the price is fair, and I buy in bulk. That's why I have enough components to load 19 centerfire calibers until I choose to stop shooting, and enough rimfire to last until Obama is out of office (and then some).

nahpungnome
09-23-2014, 4:49 PM
I usually just check the official powder in stock thread because Mot Mi seems to be on top of it more than gunbot :). I scored a good amount of powder from his posts.

devster55
09-23-2014, 4:56 PM
Call recobs and see what they have not check their website

toby
09-23-2014, 5:04 PM
It's the same people as the people of Walmart if you know what I mean. Yeah fkn over their own. Glad I am never in need.

MrElectric03
09-23-2014, 6:16 PM
I've bought 5 lbs of pistol powder from two sources in the classified in the last week. It's really not that hard if you aren't really picky. For pistols I use 800X, blue dot, PB, amd HP38.

Kappy
09-23-2014, 6:19 PM
I was slightly picky. Bought a bit of Bullseye, so I'm good for .45acp. Now I need to get something for .40s&w. Mine doesn't seem to like Bullseye.

liamettocs
09-23-2014, 6:55 PM
I usually just check the official powder in stock thread because Mot Mi seems to be on top of it more than gunbot :). I scored a good amount of powder from his posts.

^^^This. My primary source of powder. Check it at least a couple of times a week and I have all the powder I need. Just be patient and persistent.

liamettocs
09-23-2014, 6:56 PM
Call recobs and see what they have not check their website

^^^^^ And this. But when Recobs is in stock, it's usually posted on the Official Powder in Stock thread.

Jeff213
09-23-2014, 7:05 PM
If your personally shooting 5 lbs of pistol powder a year, your having more fun than me...

Ahh one day to have the extra time and $ to shot until my hearts content lol

Not all that hard with full bore magnum revolver loads.

Victor Cachat
09-23-2014, 7:23 PM
The shortage will end when people that don't need it stop buying it just because they see it on the shelf for once.
As long as there is always some on the shelf for a few months or more, they will quit stocking up.

Eventually they will start selling it for a loss.

rm1911
09-23-2014, 7:34 PM
I've bought pistol powder from the classifieds. But that's obviously not the same as vendors. Several months ago I found a jug of bullseye and jumped on it. On rare occasions it does pop up on vendors but rarely.

Something to consider. The reloading firms haven't seemed to be as hard hit. There's still plenty of munitions being cranked out by the larger and even smaller suppliers as well as the commercial factory companies. So there must be powder out there somewhere. Every time I go to my range they seem to have reloads. And they buy from a vendor. Although I reload so I don't really care.

Consider also that pistol powder has a much greater demand than rifle, with the exception of 223 powder, as 222/556 shoots like pistol ammo in large part. Even if you reload for rifle there no real reloading vendor demand for rifle powder. And rifle powders have been available for a while.

With the backlog the buyers who are purchasing large volumes of powder get first crack. Sucks, but that's how it is. And consider that honestly, until the last couple of years, reloading was still a niche in the shooting world. The powder plants just didn't, and still don't, have capacity to deal with the panic. And they're not going to invest millions in new plant on what is probably a temporary spike. It just won't pay out.

Right now there's still more people snarfing up pistol powder soon as it appears. Eventually they will be satiated, and they will not find sellers or they will have enough. And powder will sit in inventory, if even for a few days instead of minutes.

I honestly wish the powder companies would have raised their prices. I get that they didn't want to piss anyone off but the reality is that markets need prices to make them function. It worked with ammo. Last year 556 was impossible to find and then if at all, under $1 per round. Now it's plentiful at under $0.35 per.

devster55
09-23-2014, 7:56 PM
Op what kind of powder are you looking for? I may have some and will give it to you at the price I paid if I have it.

jes1698
09-29-2014, 7:28 PM
Because I bought it all. You can never have too much powder.

bruce381
09-29-2014, 8:13 PM
Just got 16lbs of w231 so I'm not sure what you guys are talking about?

yeah right how much per lb? and from where?

BigBronco
09-29-2014, 8:20 PM
Because I bought it all. You can never have too much powder.

You don't have it all. Cuz I gots mine. I would offer to sell a pound but Stilley would slap me stilley, I mean silly. If I even though of selling it in the discussion forum. So it's mine Mine Mine

Pauliedad
09-29-2014, 8:33 PM
Hey BigBronco,
So I have an extra pound of Tight Group.
How much do you think its worth?

klewan
09-29-2014, 9:21 PM
Hey BigBronco,

FTF about $25 to $30. About what a gun show would charge without the entrance fee, parking, or as much gas.

BigBronco
09-30-2014, 4:24 AM
Hey BigBronco,

Not sure I have never bought Tight Group.