PDA

View Full Version : Bullets for reloading 45-70 Gov't

Seaweed02
09-22-2014, 7:01 PM
Hello all. I am trying to find out some information about reloading for the Winchester Model 1886. It's not an antique, it is a new model built in Japan, so it should be strong enough to handle a high pressure load. But I don't necessarily need a high pressure load. I just want something that is not going to lead up my barrel. I think I would like to buy some hard cast bullets for it, but can't find any on the internet. Any recommendations? For both Powder and bullets please. I also want something that ain't going to break the bank. Thanks in advance.

3RDGEARGRNDRR
09-22-2014, 7:26 PM
Bullets are plentiful as are all the reloading components for the 45-70.
I personally buy my hard cast from Missouri Bullets. 405 grain.

3RDGEARGRNDRR
09-22-2014, 7:32 PM
Forgot to add, if you load for 308 then you have the powders for the 45-70
No leading for me, keeping my velocities right around 1700fps

'ol shooter
09-22-2014, 7:41 PM
I like Oregon Trail bullets.

http://www.laser-cast.com/index.html

Seaweed02
09-22-2014, 8:24 PM
3rdgeargrnddrr and 'ol shooter,

Do I need to get gas checks or anything else for loading these hard cast bullets.

I bought these for loading 30-30, do I need anything else or do I load it just as is? http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=102&category=6&secondary=&keywords=

These are the ones I bought for 45-70, again do I need gas checks or anything else? Or can I just load as is? http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=81&category=6&secondary=&keywords=

I went on the Oregon Laser Cast webpage also, and will try them next just to compare. They only make a 350 gr bullet which is on the bottom right. That is the one I will try first. Again will I need gas checks or anything else to load. Anything besides the powder, brass, primers? http://oregontrailbullet.com/shop/

Thanks in advance for the help.

mjmagee67
09-22-2014, 8:29 PM
Missouri bullet company are my go to for my C-Sharps. I've had great luck and I want to try their coated bullets now. I use Bayou Bullets for 9mm & 40S&W, they are now coating the 45-70 405gr cast bullet.

koehn,jim
09-22-2014, 8:33 PM
The bullets you show have no shank for a gas check so no you do not need one. There are many loads in lymans book on cast bullets. Start low and work up. I have a Marlin guide gun and I shoot the 405grain and some 340 grain. Its a lot of fun.

Seaweed02
09-23-2014, 4:36 AM
The bullets you show have no shank for a gas check so no you do not need one. There are many loads in lymans book on cast bullets. Start low and work up. I have a Marlin guide gun and I shoot the 405grain and some 340 grain. Its a lot of fun.

So that is how you tell if you need gas checks or not? Cool, now I know. I am new to reloading and everything you guys teach me is much appreciated. I also went back to the Oregon Trails website and found that there was a button for loading more choices and they do make a 405 gr bullet as well. I'll try that next. They also make a 30-30 round that already comes with a gas check installed. So why would you want gas checks on some and not on others?

'ol shooter
09-23-2014, 11:53 AM
You wont need a gas check.

Darto
09-23-2014, 3:53 PM
I think Paco puts the 1886 Japan at the top of the list for strength, not sure because he talking winchester and browning Japan 1886.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/4570_leverguns.htm

Darto
09-23-2014, 4:18 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=439975625

I've been shooting these from private party, he has bigger and smaller, all are hard cast. No leading in my H&R Buffalo Classic at 35.0 grains H4895, no chrony but prolly about 1400 f.p.s. Bought because he has good prices and $6.50 shipping.

NuGunner
09-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Hello all. I am trying to find out some information about reloading for the Winchester Model 1886. It's not an antique, it is a new model built in Japan, so it should be strong enough to handle a high pressure load. But I don't necessarily need a high pressure load. I just want something that is not going to lead up my barrel. I think I would like to buy some hard cast bullets for it, but can't find any on the internet. Any recommendations? For both Powder and bullets please. I also want something that ain't going to break the bank. Thanks in advance.
Hey I have some 45/70 for sale. Click the link in my signature for details. I'm willing to ship.

koehn,jim
09-25-2014, 5:52 AM
The reason you need a gas check is for higher speed. The gas check protects the base of the bullet from the hot gas going down the barrel. I have found the best luck with loads under 1500 fps in mine. Remember it is a lot of fun to shoot and reload for.

CGT80
09-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Those plain base cast bullets seem quite expensive. I cast my own boolits. OP, if you find that you like reloading and shooting cast, then look into casting your own. It is not all that expensive to get started and it isn't overly difficult either.

For a low recoil, low velocity load (with somewhat high pressures) for any gun, try trail boss powder. It will work great in the 45/70 or the 30-30. I use it for 460 mag revolver and the recoil is extremely low compared to full power loads. For mid range loads in the 460, I use Accurate 5744 powder. Check their web page for load data. I would imagine it to be good for 45/70 as well, as it is a powder that is designed for mild to moderate loads. It will make a load as soft as trail boss, but it takes more powder and it costs more.

In the 30-30 you can shoot those plain base bullets with Red Dot, Herco, Win 231, Unique, etc. The shotgun/pistol powders will make some light target loads that are very fun to shoot, and it will keep the velocity low which is good since the bullets don't have gas checks. I was shooting a 159 grain plain base over 6.0 grains of red dot and got 1116 fps. I am now shooting a 180 grain PB over 9.6 grains of Herco and get about 1300 fps. Trail boss works fine for 30-30 but the speeds may be slower and red dot or herco will be cheaper. Red dot is also called promo. The weight is the same as red dot, but promo has a little different density or volume in the case. The pistol/shotgun powders don't take up as much room in the case as trail boss, so you have to be careful not to double charge.

Those two cartridges are quite common and since you are loading cast bullets, you will find great info at the Castboolits forum, on reloading and casting your own, if you decide to get into that. Boolits are not the same as bullets. A trip to that forum will explain why.

Seaweed02
09-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Yes I have been thinking about learning how to cast boolits also. But that is a little way away because I am just learning how to reload, having just made my first live cartridges in August. I have learned a lot from the forum, so if I do decide to cast I'll definitely learn some more here and from the forum you mentioned. And of course YouTube has been very helpful as well. Thanks all for your advice.

at_liberty
09-26-2014, 6:01 AM
Check with Georgia Arms for there Item L4570A, which they cast and coat themselves. They tell me the coating makes a little smoke, so you'll feel authentic.:cool2:

JagerDog
09-26-2014, 3:12 PM
I haven't been loading the 45/70 yet, but Bear Creek Bullets is my go-to for range fodder in several pistols. They are cast and moly coated just outside of Modesto. A number of LGS's are carrying their product. I've got some 325's(?) to load for some plinking rounds.

3RDGEARGRNDRR
10-02-2014, 7:52 AM
I use checks,
Since I resize mine anyhow, i just put a copper cap on them, .452 checks work fine for me.
all the internet experts say use them if hitting 1800 fps,
1799fps, you should be ok