PDA

View Full Version : How do I go about buying bulk

RandyRhoads
09-19-2014, 11:21 PM
So my SCAR 17 receiver should be ready to be picked up friday and I can't wait to test it out. I want to buy a good deal of ammo, and have a few questions about it.

I thought buying bulk saved a ton of money? It seems like i'm not saving much by buying a large quantity over box by box.

Where's a good place to buy 1-2k rounds?

Should I buy 7.62x51, or .308?

Should I buy a few boxes of different ammo and see what works best, then buy that in bulk, or just buy the cheapest bulk? My understanding is the SCAR will eat whatever, so if I can save a few hundred bucks on the cheaper stuff...

I've looked on gunbrooker.com (never used before) and see a lot of 1k rounds for sale but they mostly seem to be blanks (wtf?)

Other than that most are 500 rounds at a time. Should I just buy a couple of those? Or will I save more money finding somewhere to buy 1-2k rounds at a time?

Thanks

brdrgrd
09-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Ammoseek.com

bambam8d1
09-20-2014, 1:14 AM
Luckygunner

stilly
09-20-2014, 1:56 AM
and finally, ammoman.com.

AmericanRedoubt
09-20-2014, 2:26 AM
Gunbot.net or Ammoseek.com -- often good prices as Cheaper Than Dirt or Selway Armory.

Long live the Republic. God Speed.

MarkG35
09-20-2014, 5:19 AM
I've had good luck with SGAMMO.

MarkG35
09-20-2014, 5:20 AM
I think you need .308.

RandyRhoads
09-20-2014, 7:41 AM
I think you need .308.

Why .308? Cheaper? Or the extra pressure?

Thanks i'll check out those sites.

Capybara
09-20-2014, 8:57 AM
Second for www.SGAmmo.com Good people, family owned business in Oklahoma.

ptmn
09-20-2014, 9:35 AM
Ammoman.com has Lake City 7.62 for $370 per 500 for a total of $740 for 1000. They don't charge shipping or credit card fees, so $740 is all you pay.

Since your on the reloading page, I'm going to suggest that you invest in a reloading system instead. Go to Grafs.com, which also does NOT charge shipping and find the following:
$126 Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Kit
$32 Lee .308 four die set with shell holder
$203 Hornady 150gr FMJ (1000)
$184 Accurate Arms 2495 8lb keg

From Wideners.com (they do charge shipping)
$272 1000 unfired PRIMED Lake City 7.62 cases

Since the cases are already primed and unfired, they processing time is next to nothing and makes the loading fast and easy. Add up the total cost, which is less than $900 and you have 1000 loaded 7.62 rounds AND a full reloading system that you can use over and over again.

jeffyhog
09-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Haven't seen any good deals on 308 in quite a while. .75cpr seems to be the going rate, and it doesn't get too much better buying in bulk. I think palmettostatearmory.com had some Federal XM80 on sale last week for $13 per box of 20, but i believe it is magnetic.
If your looking for good non-magnetic ammo, try to pick up some South African surplus from the For Sale section. Usually goes for about $100 for 140 round battle pack.

jeffyhog
09-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Just saw another post that Walmart has the ZQ brand 7.62x51 priced at $9.97 per 20 round box, plus tax. Made in Turkey, brass case, non-magnetic. Pick up a few boxes and try it out. Last time i was there I think it was $14.99

RandyRhoads
09-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Damn. Really didn't want to get into reloading. If I go that route what's the average price per.308? Minimal difference ?

Do I need to ship to an FFL or does ammo ship to my door?

I think I found 500 packs for $235 or $285 earlier.

Is it recommended to try a box of a brand before buying bulk or should my scar eat it up regardless?

toby
09-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Ammoman.com has Lake City 7.62 for $370 per 500 for a total of $740 for 1000. They don't charge shipping or credit card fees, so $740 is all you pay.

Since your on the reloading page, I'm going to suggest that you invest in a reloading system instead. Go to Grafs.com, which also does NOT charge shipping and find the following:
$126 Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Kit
$32 Lee .308 four die set with shell holder
$203 Hornady 150gr FMJ (1000)

From Wideners.com (they do charge shipping)
$272 1000 unfired PRIMED Lake City 7.62 cases

Since the cases are already primed and unfired, they processing time is next to nothing and makes the loading fast and easy. Add up the total cost, which is less than $900 and you have 1000 loaded 7.62 rounds AND a full reloading system that you can use over and over again.

This is the way everyone should go, not so much these particular products but that's personal preference ,the main thing is it's ammo you made and you can custom tailor it for your specific needs or desires.:cool2:

RandyRhoads
09-20-2014, 11:35 AM
That's cool and all I get custom making it but at this point and time I want cheap rounds. Unless it will save me a decent amount to reload myself I'd rather not mess with it.... Yet.

toby
09-20-2014, 11:39 AM
That's cool and all I get custom making it but at this point and time I want cheap rounds. Unless it will save me a decent amount to reload myself I'd rather not mess with it.... Yet.

After the set up cost you can save 1/2 or more depending on what, when and how much component's you buy. I've not purchased or shot factory ammo in my guns for over 27 years, except for shotshells for shotguns.

ptmn
09-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Ammoman.com will ship to your door. Only restriction is that adult signature is required upon delivery. Also, make sure your city has no ammo delivery restrictions, otherwise Ammoman.com won't ship. Pretty sure Oakland and L.A. restrict, but luckily my city does not

ptmn
09-20-2014, 11:42 AM
The ammo that I listed for Ammoman.com will function in all standard military weapons, since it is US M80 Ball ammo.

jh4db536
09-20-2014, 11:58 AM
The second and next batch reloaded will be significantly cheaper because you won't have to pay for brass that you sweep. Reloading becomes worth it when you start making "custom match ammo". Not much to save when plinking especially given the work/prep.

ptmn
09-20-2014, 12:24 PM
If you're in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, then reloading should be highly encouraged, since it is "green" by the fact you are reusing/recycling the brass cases instead of tossing them in the trash.

Besides, generally speaking, you can load better and more accurate ammo then you can buy. This depends on your skills, knowledge and quality of components.

You can buy different and/or better reloading equip then I posted earlier, but those components will give you the most bang for your buck and I have used them so I know they work. I have since upgraded many of the original items, since I'm not stuck on just "Red" (aka Lee).

If you go with my suggestion, you're only spending $250 more for the 1000 rounds. Since you will already have the equip and the fired brass, the next. 1000 rounds will come out to the following:
$45 1000 primers
$203 Hornady 150gr FMJ

That's about $492, but it would more work than the first time, since you would have to size, trim, and prime the brass this time. The first time the brass from Wideners is new primed pulldown that would require no processing.

The only reason why I listed the specific equip/components in my first post is because all of those items are currently in stock with the listed companies. There are other items that may be superior, but those items are available and give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Spaceghost
09-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Damn, this thread makes me wish I stacked .308 deep when it was $144 a case. Live and learn.

RandyRhoads
09-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Ok I'll look at reloading a bit later but I've got an itchy SCAR finger so I think I'll just buy a couple hundred from one of the listed sites. Thanks.

Last question is why .308? More pressure correct? FN manual says only use 7.62x51(.308 Winchester) which makes it sound like they are the same round. I thought 308 in 7.62 could cause a potential problem due to excessive pressure?

BretByron
09-20-2014, 1:55 PM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo

RandyRhoads
09-20-2014, 4:36 PM
Bump

vliberatore
09-20-2014, 4:44 PM

After the set up cost you can save 1/2 or more depending on what, when and how much component's you buy. I've not purchased or shot factory ammo in my guns for over 27 years, except for shotshells for shotguns.

This. I reload better than factory match .308 for $.62/rd and could cut that down to $.57/rd if I anneal. I'm sure I could lower that quite a bit if I purchased based on price rather than quality.

stilly
09-20-2014, 10:05 PM
Bump

wtf?

Uhhhhh, I dunno if there is an anti bumping policy here but it looks kinda tacky to me. I would not recco that you bump anymore. We will answer it and bounce it around like an inflated condom at the sick and twisted festival and then it will get ripe and full of info and then you will be happier that you came here, then 3 years later some doofus will actually be reading threads 42 pages back and respond to it and then it will be updated by 6 more people before someone has the sense to ask why everyone is necroposting. And the the original necroposter will slip out of the conversation like an SBD cropduster at a party...

Here is the FRANK answer to your question. - How do you buy bulk? Bulk is a lot, so you BUY A LOT. THAT is bulk. If you can buy ACTUAL BULK ROUNDS, then go for it, else just get a lot of small packs...

As for reloading. That is fine, you should never reload, it will drive up competition for .308 brass and now we will not be as lucky to find it or trade for it because ONE MORE GUY decided to save a ton of money and reload so now he picks up all of his brass at the range instead of leaving it there.

As for saving money, it all depends on the round. I can only offer you this, if you like shooting 44 magnum, would you rather shoot 2400+ rounds at $42.00/50 or rather $9.70/50 ?

If you have a nice cush job and money is nothing and you do not care to save any money, then please do not get into reloading. Don't bother, just buy lots of BULK brass rounds and shoot that bad boy and let that SCAR throw brass all over the place! WE will love ya for it. ;)

We can still be friends though. ;)

Okay we are done. This is for the other guys.

(Fellas, STOP trying to recruit him into being a reloader. He is clearly not one of us and has enough hobbies and stress relievers of his own that he is involved in. Why must you folks try to make him sick over what kinds of tools and gadgets and components he must buy in order to have an even bigger sense of accomplishment and satisfaction? Knock it off! OUT FOUL RECRUITMENT DEMONS! Just leave him be and follow him at the range and maybe you will get some nice shinies out of it!)

freonr22
09-20-2014, 10:13 PM
lol

RandyRhoads
09-21-2014, 8:39 AM
I bumped it because no ones answering why .308 vs 7.62. I know it's off topic a little but is rather not start a new 308 vs 7.62 thread that turns out 15 pages longing beating a dead horse.

I got good information and my questions answered about reloading. Sounds good. For the future. I doubt I can reload enough rounds by Friday to shoot.

Wanting to blast the new scar. Then shoot maybe 1k rounds, then stock 1k rounds. Right now I don't see myself shooting a massive quantity of ammo. Just some weekend plinking once in a while, but it still sounds like for 1-2k rounds I may get the reloading stuff. Thanks for the replies

jeffyhog
09-21-2014, 9:03 AM
You'll find those that disagree, but everything I've found says that 308 and 7.62x51 are close enough to being the same that they can be used interchangeably. If you are concerned about it, stick with 7.62x51 NATO if that Is what is stamped on your rifle. You may want to buy only a few boxes first to make sure if rings reliably in your rifle before you invest in a couple thousand rounds.

RandyRhoads
09-21-2014, 9:23 AM
Thank you that's what I was looking for. Reading past threads made me think they were different or dangerous but if my FN manual says 7.62(.308) that makes me think it's the same round. I just remember a few past threads with long debates over pressure. Oh well

stilly
09-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Thank you that's what I was looking for. Reading past threads made me think they were different or dangerous but if my FN manual says 7.62(.308) that makes me think it's the same round. I just remember a few past threads with long debates over pressure. Oh well

BRAH! You gots a ****ing SCAR! It will take a 7.62x54R to even START to do damage to that puppy.

Let the brass rain down Like Neo in da CHOPPA! .308 AND 7.62, its all good...

Sorry, I missed that portion because I gots hung up on da BULK and trying to avoid intestinal jokes...

Now go buy us, I mean YOU some brass and shoot!

RandyRhoads
09-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Haha. Will do. Probably just blast a few boxes then order reload stuff after some research.

stilly
09-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Haha. Will do. Probably just blast a few boxes then order reload stuff after some research.

Here is all da research you need...

http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1912.htm

Just keep watching it for when they get in stock...

SonofWWIIDI
09-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Ok I'll look at reloading a bit later but I've got an itchy SCAR finger so I think I'll just buy a couple hundred from one of the listed sites. Thanks.

Last question is why .308? More pressure correct? FN manual says only use 7.62x51(.308 Winchester) which makes it sound like they are the same round. I thought 308 in 7.62 could cause a potential problem due to excessive pressure?

Ah, the .308 vs 7.62x51 quandary. Here's a couple of links that might better explain the difference.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaqs%5CM14-FAQs%5C308.htm

http://how-i-did-it.org/762vs308/chamber.html

But a general rule of thumb, if chambered in .308, you may use either .308 or 7.62x51. If chambered in 7.62x51, don't use .308. (Its the opposite of 5.56 vs .223. If chambered in .223, don't use 5.56, if chambered in 5.56 use either one. The exception here would be the .223 wylde sp?)

klewan
09-21-2014, 12:33 PM
It was probably 6 or 7+ years ago I saw bulk ammo that was actually cheaper than buying 20 or 50 round boxes. Now you might save 5% in bulk. With the net, as soon as somebody finds a good deal, they give a heads up to the rest of the forum and they clean it out in a couple of hours. Not much reason for the vendors to discount it when everything they can get, gets bought..

RandyRhoads
09-21-2014, 2:00 PM
That rule of thumb is what I had already read but then got confused when I saw the FN manual saying to shoot either one and made it seem like they're the same round

RandyRhoads
09-21-2014, 2:01 PM
^ when it says it's chambered in 7.62

09cs
09-21-2014, 2:22 PM
bulkammo.com

M1NM
09-21-2014, 3:42 PM
1-2,000 rounds isn't "bulk". You're not going to get a descent break until you get past at least 10,000 rounds. You'll need a forklift to unload the truck when it pulls up in front of your house.

klewan
09-21-2014, 4:51 PM
1-2,000 rounds isn't "bulk". You're not going to get a descent break until you get past at least 10,000 rounds. You'll need a forklift to unload the truck when it pulls up in front of your house.

It used to be, 500 used to get a decent price break. But I believe 10K is what it takes today.

jdubrr
09-22-2014, 7:39 PM
Slickguns.com is also very good for ammo, and anything gun related...

http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo?caliber=20

Cheapest for brass case 308 is .57 / round

Jeep67cj5
09-22-2014, 7:43 PM
Targetsportsusa.com

Free shipping when you order by the case!

RandyRhoads
09-22-2014, 8:20 PM
Slickguns.com is also very good for ammo, and anything gun related...

http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo?caliber=20

Cheapest for brass case 308 is .57 / round

If i'm calculating it right that's about what it would cost me per round to reload without having to collect/clean brass, and spend a bunch of time reloading them all.

thenodnarb
09-23-2014, 9:51 AM
Gotta love the description for that PPU ammo.

Rifle ammunition made by PPU, desire of many hunters, is real diamond in the rifle of every passionate hunter.

Designed according to market demands, improved by preciosur suggestions of hunters, PPU ammunition is the result of up-to-date technical and technological solutions, long-term special research work of ballistics and hunting experts. It is made of high-quality raw materials and components carefully chosen according to its application.

Hunting with PPU ammunition becomes magic, an enchantment, an adventure for memory, tranquility and success for prestige

FWIW, all the factory 308 I have is PPU and its good stuff.

BlooDSMeaR
09-23-2014, 3:12 PM
Just saw another post that Walmart has the ZQ brand 7.62x51 priced at $9.97 per 20 round box, plus tax. Made in Turkey, brass case, non-magnetic. Pick up a few boxes and try it out. Last time i was there I think it was $14.99

My PTR 91 loves this stuff. I wish my PTR didn't chew up brass as bad as it does. I don't know if I can reload the brass due to the fluted chamber leaving considerable impressions in the cases.

The guys post above, about buying the components is a great suggestion. To do it again that way I'd do it.

When looking for bulk stuff I like the format of http://www.gun-deals.com/