PDA

View Full Version : My adventures with my Desert Eagle

BigFatGuy
08-29-2014, 8:25 PM
I'm documenting my experience with my new .44mag desert eagle. There's not a lot of clear info out there that I've found, so hopefully this will grow into a FAQ of some kind and save someone some effort.

Knowledgeable advice is always welcome.

My desert eagle is the .44mag, purchased new at a Turners. It's black, the box bears a "made in Israel" logo.

My first box of ammo (I forget the mfg) was 240gn hardball at about 1100 fps. Fired nice and soft and gentle, but the gun FTEject every single round. It was basically a bolt-action pistol. I shot about 10 rounds and went home.

I ordered some PPU (AKA Prvi Partizan out of Serbia or Croatia) 300gn Semi-jacketed hollowpoints at 1500fps. It cycled the action quite well, and drew the range master wondering who was shooting a shotgun. However, on about 75% of the rounds the gun wouldn't fully go into battery, and there was one or two rounds that double-fed. I shot the full box of 50.

It could be my imagination, but it seemed like the gun was operating better near the end of the box of 50 than it was near the start. Hopefully it's just break-in period...

I still have a box of 50 hollowpoints. I'll clean/lube it, take it out again, and order some PPU hardball as well.

Some things I noticed:

- The gun seems to operate better in my right hand than my left. This is odd since I'm left-handed. perhaps this has something to do with the rotating bolt?

--they suggest a weaver "isometric tension" type hold, where you push and pull on the grip to stabilize the gun. This doesn't help me one bit. At 6'6" and over 300lbs and being able to squeeze a Captain Of Crush level 2, I held the gun so tight it shook and yet the action didn't change. Rather, I found better results by heavily hunching my shoulders forward and squeezing from the sides while holding the gun in isosceles type hold

--I'm used to a 1911, where the frame gives you a place to put your thumbs while the slide moves. The DE gives you no such place to put your thumbs beyond the front of the trigger guard, which means my thumbs want to rest directly on the Jet Li lever. As such, I end up with my thumbs kind of held out at an angle

-- the slide cut my thumb knuckle. i almost wonder if this and the above thumb-related issues were creating friction on the slide as it worked, and maybe this is why the gun started working better near the end

-- I don't know why, but I don't like the iron sights. Something about them is unappealing to me... I may mount a red-dot, since this really is a fun "pissing contest" type gun

-- having huge hands, it's really nice to have a pistol with a grip large enough that I can actually touch both palms to the sides of the grip like you're supposed to do. On normal sized pistols my strong-side fingers get in the way

-- this thing FLINGS brass. I was finding brass 4 stations over, against the range's back wall

-- this has also made it clear I must learn to reload ammo

-- and buy a 550B

--brianenos.com :-)

iluvmycolt
08-29-2014, 9:09 PM
Congrats on your desert eagle OP. Nice range report and hopefully the fte is just a break in period issue.

plan-b
08-29-2014, 9:14 PM
I literally laughed out loud when I read "Jet Li lever." :rofl2:

Pauliedad
08-29-2014, 9:19 PM
I'm thinking long and hard about this same gun so your post is timely for me.
I do reload and from what little I've read, she likes HOT loads.

Any thought as to .50 conversion?

BigFatGuy
08-29-2014, 9:22 PM
I'm thinking long and hard about this same gun so your post is timely for me.
I do reload and from what little I've read, she likes HOT loads.

Any thought as to .50 conversion?

I plan to buy one. A compensated .50AE barrel is like $600 from the mfg, plus the $50 for a magazine.

Now I just need to find $650 laying around that I don't need... in addition to the money for a reloading setup...

BigFatGuy
08-29-2014, 9:25 PM
I literally laughed out loud when I read "Jet Li lever." :rofl2:

I had to explain that to the kid working the gun desk at turners... I felt old.

BTW, last time I looked the Field Time Gun Store (not the range, the store on Beach blvd) they had two used DE's with included .50AE conversions for $1800.

I don't like used, but they looked to be in good shape.

STR8HEATED
08-29-2014, 10:14 PM
My DE runs flawlessly with Magtech ammo. Thats all I feed it when it is chambered in 44. DE needs hot ammo to cycle.

Tok36
08-29-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the post OP. Hope it breaks in nice.

+1 on the 550B

My brother has a 50AE Desert Eagle. Its breaks itself often. Fortunately for him it dose exactly what he wanted it for... slings huge peaces of lead.

Heh, even reloading you only get about 200 rounds out of a pound of powder at 33g a round.

Beowolf maybe, DE, not for me.

JTROKS
08-30-2014, 12:56 AM
What no pics? It never happened unless you got pics. :D;)

I also have a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag. It shoots 180 grn JHPs and 240 JSP and JHP reliably and very accurate. I bought mine used so I couldn't comment on the break in period. I have not experienced any malfunctions, but I will try to shoot it left/weak hand next time I get to shoot it. Although most considers it as a novelty gun it sure gets lots of attention at the range. I have hunted before and I wouldn't mind using it to go after feral hog, deer or anything a 44 mag can take down. Enjoy it and please post pics.

GUNNTZ
08-30-2014, 7:48 AM
Here's my suggestion for DE44/50 owners. First strip the gun down completely and clean it, this includes the firing pin assembly in the slide. Lubricate the gun with a quality grease like gunslick or your favorite. Oil doesn't do all the heavy steel parts any justice, lots of friction. Second, find the hottest factory ammo you can if you don't reload. Again weak ammo will not have enough force to move the slide and bolt back. If you reload, use a 240grn jacketed flat nose and a powder like 800X(fast burning is better in a gun like this). Mine ran flawlessly, the previous owner could not get it to cycle reliably and gave up...I bought it dirt cheap :)

'ol shooter
08-30-2014, 8:14 AM
Here's my suggestion for DE44/50 owners. First strip the gun down completely and clean it, this includes the firing pin assembly in the slide. Lubricate the gun with a quality grease like gunslick or your favorite. Oil doesn't do all the heavy steel parts any justice, lots of friction. Second, find the hottest factory ammo you can if you don't reload. Again weak ammo will not have enough force to move the slide and bolt back. If you reload, use a 240grn jacketed flat nose and a powder like 800X(fast burning is better in a gun like this). Mine ran flawlessly, the previous owner could not get it to cycle reliably and gave up...I bought it dirt cheap :)

Ditto on the grease. My bro in law has the .44, and he cleaned and oiled it, epic fail next time at the range. He greased it the way it was, and it purred. Not my cup of tea really, but looks impressive. I read the .357's are nice shooters.

bsg
08-30-2014, 4:21 PM
great that you got your DE.

erik_26
08-30-2014, 4:58 PM
Good review OP.

I especially liked....

It's black, the box bears a "made in Israel" logo

We want pictures not belly itchers.

BigFatGuy
08-30-2014, 11:10 PM
We want pictures not belly itchers.

OK, I'll admit I had to look that one up... very funny...

( http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/we_want_a_pitcher_not_a_belly_itcher )

As for the photo, it looks exactly like every other black .44mag Desert Eagle, but I'll take a photo tomorrow...

erik_26
08-31-2014, 7:02 AM
As for the photo, it looks exactly like every other black .44mag Desert Eagle, but I'll take a photo tomorrow...

There are many like it, but this one is yours!

A good review should include pictures.

-Picture of the case
-Picture of how it looks when first opened
-Pictures of all contents of the case and accessories the weapon comes with
-Pictures of the firearm
-Pictures of the magazine
-Pictures of the rounds it shoots
-Pictures comparing the size of the firearm to something everyone has or with a ruler behind it.

We need to know features, options, pros, cons.

How much does it weigh?

For fun a picture of someone trying to conceal carry it.

Use a seamstress tape to measure the grip. Measure a grip of a common firearm for comparison.

Is the slide hard to rack?

Do the mags stick coming out?

Are the mags hard to load?

How heavy is it fully loaded?

How heavy is the trigger?

Is the reset long and soft or short and crisp?

Little bit of history on the gun, who makes it, when was it designed, when was it imported into the United States, any specialty/highly collectable versions, fun facts... i.e. President Lincoln had one (obviously not, but you get the idea.).

Who should consider buying this gun?

Why should someone buy it?

Pricing? (Not what you paid, unless you don't mind sharing, but what can someone expect to pay for new/used).

How easy/hard is it to breakdown for cleaning?

Details man.... we need the details.

Information overload us. I want Calguns to slow to the speed of a grandpa snail because of your in depth review and analysis.

I am actually on the verge of buying a Desert Eagle myself, so I am genuinely interested in your experiences.

TKM
08-31-2014, 7:41 AM
They actually run better in 50 than 44. Which is nice.

Too many different power levels available in 44 won't work well. You have to run it hot, hot, hot.

Be careful with what solvents you use for cleaning. The extractor "spring" is some kind of polymer and melts on occasion.

Welcome to reloading.

Dattebayo
08-31-2014, 7:59 AM
They actually run better in 50 than 44. Which is nice.

Too many different power levels available in 44 won't work well. You have to run it hot, hot, hot.

Be careful with what solvents you use for cleaning. The extractor "spring" is some kind of polymer and melts on occasion.

Welcome to reloading.

I have heard this as well. The DE is going to run much more reliably out of the 50 AE. I haven't really heard many people having really good reliability with 44mag.

Beelzy
08-31-2014, 8:08 AM
What I found was:
If you have a failure to go into battery it's a dirty piston, or unburned powder in the chamber.
If it fails to eject, the ammo is not hot enough.
When I reloaded ammo for the Hebrew Horse leg, I avoided max loads with ball powder.

drkphibr
08-31-2014, 9:46 AM
I have heard this as well. The DE is going to run much more reliably out of the 50 AE. I haven't really heard many people having really good reliability with 44mag.

44mag is a revolver round and was not originally intended for semi automatics, especially such a large semi as the DE. That's a lot of slide the 44 has contend with, which is why you'll see reliability (it's all about the powder load) issues.

The 50AE was designed for the DE (or vice versa), so you won't see any issues with 50AE and reliability. Plenty of powder to cycle the slide with ease.

If you want your DE to run just as well with 44 as it does with 50 you're best bet is to reload. Will save you a ton of money on both calibers and you'll enjoy 44 as much as 50 when you have your loads dialed in.

BigFatGuy
09-01-2014, 2:10 PM
There are many like it, but this one is yours!

A good review should include pictures.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4286123/cgn/IMG_20140901_142749.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4286123/cgn/IMG_20140901_142814.jpg

We need to know features, options, pros, cons.
How much does it weigh?
Little bit of history on the gun, who makes it, when was it designed, when was it imported into the United States, any specialty/highly collectable versions, fun facts... i.e. President Lincoln had one (obviously not, but you get the idea.).
Pricing? (Not what you paid, unless you don't mind sharing, but what can someone expect to pay for new/used).

I'm not into cutting and pasting (http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-Desert-Eagle-44-Magnum-Black-CA-OKAY.asp)

For fun a picture of someone trying to conceal carry it.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/5993/911952-smith.jpg

Is the slide hard to rack?

Very. Very smooth action, but VERY heavy spring.

Do the mags stick coming out?

mine drops free

Are the mags hard to load?

not at all.

How heavy is the trigger?

it's single-action. The trigger feels better than a Glock, not as nice as my 1911.

Is the reset long and soft or short and crisp?

I'm more of a trigger-slapper. Can't say I'm aware of the reset.

Who should consider buying this gun?

Manly men with huge beards.

Why should someone buy it?

It makes your friends jealous. Women will want you, men will want to be you.

How easy/hard is it to breakdown for cleaning?

Surprisingly easy

AKexpat
09-01-2014, 2:38 PM
I'm documenting my experience with my new .44mag desert eagle.

I ordered some PPU (AKA Prvi Partizan out of Serbia or Croatia) 300gn Semi-jacketed hollowpoints at 1500fps. It cycled the action quite well, and drew the range master wondering who was shooting a shotgun. However, on about 75% of the rounds the gun wouldn't fully go into battery, and there was one or two rounds that double-fed. I shot the full box of 50.

It could be my imagination, but it seemed like the gun was operating better near the end of the box of 50 than it was near the start. Hopefully it's just break-in period...

- The gun seems to operate better in my right hand than my left. This is odd since I'm left-handed. perhaps this has something to do with the rotating bolt?

--they suggest a weaver "isometric tension" type hold, where you push and pull on the grip to stabilize the gun. This doesn't help me one bit. At 6'6" and over 300lbs and being able to squeeze a Captain Of Crush level 2, I held the gun so tight it shook and yet the action didn't change. Rather, I found better results by heavily hunching my shoulders forward and squeezing from the sides while holding the gun in isosceles type hold

--I'm used to a 1911, where the frame gives you a place to put your thumbs while the slide moves. The DE gives you no such place to put your thumbs beyond the front of the trigger guard, which means my thumbs want to rest directly on the Jet Li lever. As such, I end up with my thumbs kind of held out at an angle

I'm sure you have read the instruction manual that came with the pistol, but, just in case:

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Brochures-Manuals.asp

Page 16:

2. Insert the magazine into the magazine well
at the base of the grip until the magazine catch
engages fully. The magazine will have about
1/16 in. play when seated properly. Do not
push up on the magazine when firing or jamming
will occur.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jim

BigFatGuy
09-01-2014, 2:49 PM
I have read it, and I've never been much for a teacup hold.

joefrank64k
09-01-2014, 2:56 PM
I've got a 50AE with a 44 conversion. Like others have said, they run awesome with 50AE and they like HOT .44 loads. For factory stuff, mine loves the Magtech 240gr SJSP's.

erik_26
09-01-2014, 3:35 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4286123/cgn/IMG_20140901_142749.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4286123/cgn/IMG_20140901_142814.jpg

I'm not into cutting and pasting (http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-Desert-Eagle-44-Magnum-Black-CA-OKAY.asp)

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/5993/911952-smith.jpg

Very. Very smooth action, but VERY heavy spring.

mine drops free

not at all.

it's single-action. The trigger feels better than a Glock, not as nice as my 1911.

I'm more of a trigger-slapper. Can't say I'm aware of the reset.

Manly men with huge beards.

It makes your friends jealous. Women will want you, men will want to be you.

Surprisingly easy

Classic!

Thanks for the thorough in depth journalistic review OP! I do like the pictures.

BigPimping
09-01-2014, 4:17 PM
Wish I had one.

laurelpark
09-01-2014, 4:19 PM
Try the Hogue grips they seem to make all the difference in the world - especially if you have large hands.

Trriemferent
09-01-2014, 4:25 PM
Im also in the market for a DE. Since I dont reload, I have deen leaning towards the 44 since it is easier to find but I might look at the 50 since everyone thinks it runs smoother. Such a hard decision.......

laurelpark
09-01-2014, 4:41 PM
Get the .44, and just pop on an accessory 50ae barrel and it's good to go. One of the nice things about this gun is it has that "over the top option" where you can swap on when you really want to make stuff go poof. I think the .50ae kit is around $500 depending on where you get it. Kind of nice, pick up another caliber and not have to buy a new gun.

Alexander831
09-01-2014, 5:51 PM
I was about to pick one up a week ago but decided on a fn five seven guess i better start saving for my DE now. Thanks for the review op. :cheers2:

thegreatcow
09-01-2014, 5:55 PM
Man I'm glad things are working well for yours OP. Mine seems to be a never ending line of problems. :(

The extra mags I bought from magnum research won't load more than 4-5 rounds of 1.600 oal 240gr ammo.

I tried taking it to the range today and it was single-shotting on my HPR 240gr TMJ rounds that Turners specifically recommended to me would work with it.

A replacement barrel I ordered from magnum research showed up all covered in rust and corrosion even sealed in the plastic bag.

And installing the hogue grips everyone recommended turned into a much larger pain in the butt than I was expecting. I got them installed but it required quite a bit of dremeling down those clasps on the inside of the frame in order to get the mags to reliably feed/drop into the frame.

I have to admit, the magic is really starting to wear off and I haven't even had this bloody thing a month yet.

SNEAKS
09-01-2014, 7:50 PM
Man I'm glad things are working well for yours OP. Mine seems to be a never ending line of problems. :(

The extra mags I bought from magnum research won't load more than 4-5 rounds of 1.600 oal 240gr ammo.

I tried taking it to the range today and it was single-shotting on my HPR 240gr TMJ rounds that Turners specifically recommended to me would work with it.

A replacement barrel I ordered from magnum research showed up all covered in rust and corrosion even sealed in the plastic bag.

And installing the hogue grips everyone recommended turned into a much larger pain in the butt than I was expecting. I got them installed but it required quite a bit of dremeling down those clasps on the inside of the frame in order to get the mags to reliably feed/drop into the frame.

I have to admit, the magic is really starting to wear off and I haven't even had this bloody thing a month yet.

The HPR ammo is definitely not hot enough ammo. The company themselves don't recommend it for the DE. So far I've used Magtech FMJ 240gr and American Eagle JSP 240gr with no problems in mine.

thegreatcow
09-01-2014, 7:55 PM
The HPR ammo is definitely not hot enough ammo. The company themselves don't recommend it for the DE. So far I've used Magtech FMJ 240gr and American Eagle JSP 240gr with no problems in mine.

Thanks for the advice sir. I'm going to try and track down some of this ammo and see if using those rounds instead will at least solve the cycling issue.
Now if I can get these damn mags to function properly I will be a happy man.

BigFatGuy
09-01-2014, 8:40 PM
Did you buy yours new? They have a sheet of recommended ammo.

That sounds like the same ammo Turner's sold me. The lesson is: don't listen to Turner's.

thegreatcow
09-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Yup brand new, took it out to the range today for the first firing. The gun feels pretty darn comfortable surprisingly. If I could just get it to feed right and also deal with the damn mag issue I've had now with my 3 other mags I'd be a happy cow.

calibased
09-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Knowing how turners operates I wouldn't be surprised if this was the display model they sold you.

Mot Mi
09-01-2014, 11:33 PM
Where is the part that says you broke the deagle down, cleaned, and lubed? That should be wayyy before the 550b and if you forgot that part I'd suggest a single stage before a 550b but if you got experience than a 550b from Brian = good day every day when you're shelling out 44mags up the woozy per hour until you run out of components.

BigFatGuy
09-01-2014, 11:49 PM
I have cleaned and lubed it. going to take it back out and see if the grease helps at all.

No experience reloading, but I'll be damned if I start on a single-stage press... I'd rather make my mistakes on the machine I want.

Mot Mi
09-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Just take it slow and hit a reloading clinic in your area. Read read read one or two manuals. If a reloading clinic isn't viable you should take a peek in the reloading section and ask questions if you hit a bump. Never owned a deagle before but it seems that it will run smoother once it's broken in fully.

BigFatGuy
09-05-2014, 8:59 PM
OK, some things I learned today at the range:

0: I cleaned, oiled and greased the gun (using simple green, mobile 1, and mobile 1 grease). I can't say if this was a reason it worked better, but it didn't hurt.

1: I can't take a "high grip" on a Desert Eagle. The slide cuts my thumb, and the friction slows the slide down and hurts the gun's function

2: For me, the weaver-stance grip they call out in the user guide does not work. It works much better for me with a isosceles grip, with shoulders HEAVILY hunched forwards, squeezing the grip from the side as much as from front-to-back. Using these two grips, on request, I could make the gun fail to go into battery, or function correctly by changing grips.

3: Prvi Partizan ammo works the gun pretty well with a proper grip. Buffalo Bore makes a higher-power ammo than the PPU, and one or two of their lines of ammo are SJHP as opposed to bare lead. I've got a box enroute from Midway, the only issue is the BB ammo is more than a buck a round. I've also got a box of... magtech(?) enroute.

4: I figured out what I don't like about the sights: they are set for a neck-hold! I hate neck-hold sights...

5: after starting off with my 22/45, on my first shot with the DE the guy next to me asked someone "WTF was that!?"

calibased
09-05-2014, 9:36 PM
After i am done customizing my operator i will likely pick up a desert eagle. its just a cool gun.

timbo399
09-06-2014, 1:33 AM
I bought black DE new at Turners couple years ago. Same issues feeding w mine. I had done a ton of research on the DE forum before buying it and knew going in if don't reload it could be a problem because most DE owners build the right hot load for it, but many members on the DE forum had decent reports on the Magtech ammo that has been mentioned on this thread and it wasn't too expensive so I loaded up on that.

Loved shooting it, recoil was basically same as a 1911, and really wanted to keep that gun more as a novelty for the range.

Biggest problem I had was it would not go back into full battery almost every third round. Took it apart, etc and did everything members on DE site recommended but just couldn't get it to run well. Would just be slightly out of battery to point where had to just nudge slide forward slightly.

Sold it and got my money back. I wouldn't say I regret selling it, but it was so fun to shoot and maybe if had tried better grease would have made a difference as I was just using same lube put on all my other semis that work flawlessly. My motto is if not 100% reliable I'm getting rid of it. Sold to a fellow Calgunner who already had a load set up for it. Yes I do miss it though and maybe didn't give it enough of a chance, but just too many ftf's for me and wasn't at a point where was willing to start reloading or buy 1 dollar+ ammo for it. Bummer cause it shot very sweet and smooth when actually worked.

Pauliedad
09-06-2014, 4:37 AM
I did it!!
Bought the Mark XIX and ordered the .50ae conversion as well.
Thing comes with a DVD that I'll report back on.
May have to sit a bit cuz of SSE list but I can always go visit it.

colossians323
09-06-2014, 6:54 AM
I'm documenting my experience with my new .44mag desert eagle. There's not a lot of clear info out there that I've found, so hopefully this will grow into a FAQ of some kind and save someone some effort.

Knowledgeable advice is always welcome.

My desert eagle is the .44mag, purchased new at a Turners. It's black, the box bears a "made in Israel" logo.

My first box of ammo (I forget the mfg) was 240gn hardball at about 1100 fps. Fired nice and soft and gentle, but the gun FTEject every single round. It was basically a bolt-action pistol. I shot about 10 rounds and went home.

I still have a box of 50 hollowpoints. I'll clean/lube it, take it out again, and order some PPU hardball as well.

Some things I noticed:

-- the slide cut my thumb knuckle. i almost wonder if this and the above thumb-related issues were creating friction on the slide as it worked, and maybe this is why the gun started working better near the end

-- I don't know why, but I don't like the iron sights. Something about them is unappealing to me... I may mount a red-dot, since this really is a fun "pissing contest" type gun

-- having huge hands, it's really nice to have a pistol with a grip large enough that I can actually touch both palms to the sides of the grip like you're supposed to do. On normal sized pistols my strong-side fingers get in the way

-- this thing FLINGS brass. I was finding brass 4 stations over, against the range's back wall

-- this has also made it clear I must learn to reload ammo

-- and buy a 550B

--brianenos.com :-)

Everything you need to know to have the best experience with your DE can be found or answered here

http://thedeserteagle.yuku.com/

BigFatGuy
09-06-2014, 3:34 PM
I didn't get much out of that site... most of the threads I read were:

"My Desert Eagle does X"
"yep, they'll do that sometimes..."

calibased
09-06-2014, 5:01 PM
I view the desert eagle as a high end sports car. They are very nice and can perform impressively well but require high maintenance. If you don't keep up with proper care for that firearm, the problems will compound over time.

Modo
09-06-2014, 7:54 PM
I view the desert eagle as a high end sports car. They are very nice and can perform impressively well but require high maintenance. If you don't keep up with proper care for that firearm, the problems will compound over time.

Very well said, I've learned on both the hard way. Lol.