PDA

View Full Version : Book of Job

gdr_11
07-08-2014, 7:45 PM
So, I just finished reading the Book of Job for about the 40th time and have been pondering it once again. I started reading J. Vernon McGee's in depth analysis of the Book, but I believe that will take me longer than reading the Scriptures themselves.

For me this is one book where my takeaway from reading has evolved over the past 30 years which is in large part due to my maturing as a person as well as a Christian. Having had it all at one time and having lost almost everything, I can attest to how much this book has meant to me during the past 10 years of my life. Now that I am retired and struggle to get along financially and physically, I look back like Job and recall the good old days of the million dollar home, the admiration and respect of many others, and the physical strength that I took for granted. They are all gone now, but I do indeed know that my Redeemer lives!!!

At the same time, in the final chapters when God speaks to Job, I can't help but take pause and marvel at the beauty and power of those words. It is hard to believe this was written so many years ago.

I welcome any comments or insights from other members.

sealocan
07-08-2014, 7:54 PM
I thought for sure at the end of the paragraphs there was going to be a link to some online illegal movie or product

nothing against you OP...

we just get a lot of spam here.

as for the book of Job, I haven't read it but it saved Tom Cruise's life in the movie mission impossible.

(so that's one small strike against it.)

I will try the next time that I have a Bible handy and a couple free minutes... I'll look into it.

gdr_11
07-08-2014, 8:37 PM
I thought for sure at the end of the paragraphs there was going to be a link to some online illegal movie or product

nothing against you OP...

we just get a lot of spam here.

as for the book of Job, I haven't read it but it saved Tom Cruise's life in the movie mission impossible.

(so that's one small strike against it.)

I will try the next time that I have a Bible handy and a couple free minutes... I'll look into it.

Ha ha! When I read the name Tom Cruise, I thought maybe Scientology had adopted Job into their doctrine! No such luck

colossians323
07-08-2014, 10:16 PM
j vernon mcgee used to annoy me, until I really listened to his bible bus message. His sermons are timeless. He really was an awesome scholar

sixoclockhold
07-09-2014, 9:02 AM
So, I just finished reading the Book of Job for about the 40th time and have been pondering it once again. I started reading J. Vernon McGee's in depth analysis of the Book, but I believe that will take me longer than reading the Scriptures themselves.

For me this is one book where my takeaway from reading has evolved over the past 30 years which is in large part due to my maturing as a person as well as a Christian. Having had it all at one time and having lost almost everything, I can attest to how much this book has meant to me during the past 10 years of my life. Now that I am retired and struggle to get along financially and physically, I look back like Job and recall the good old days of the million dollar home, the admiration and respect of many others, and the physical strength that I took for granted. They are all gone now, but I do indeed know that my Redeemer lives!!!

At the same time, in the final chapters when God speaks to Job, I can't help but take pause and marvel at the beauty and power of those words. It is hard to believe this was written so many years ago.

I welcome any comments or insights from other members.

Ask yourself how many are worthy to have confessed in the face of God and mean it, to then be restored to a position on this earth greater than before his awakening?

If Job had expected to be restored, he wouldn't have been or been chosen to prove a point to all of us.

One must freely give it all, not expect anything in return but the promise of everlasting life, which is a pretty good gig.

Job was a very very special man.

Lineman101
07-09-2014, 12:04 PM
I just hope that God doesn't want to bragg about me! :eek:
But if He did, I think He would certainly restore me too, just like Job.;)
Lineman101

gdr_11
07-09-2014, 2:00 PM
Well, I don't expect to be restored until I see His face when I am handed the keys to my mansion that He has prepared for me.

gdr_11
07-09-2014, 2:06 PM
j vernon mcgee used to annoy me, until I really listened to his bible bus message. His sermons are timeless. He really was an awesome scholar

I agree; I once heard him read a letter from a listener who said he sounded like Huckleberry Hound, and I almost drove off the road in laughter. With that said, he is the best Bible scholar I have read, and I have studied many.

One of the telling factors is that his broadcasts are still heard around the world decades after his death, and most seminary students still rely on his writings to help them in their studies.

Not bad for a Texas farm boy.

eb47
07-13-2014, 7:32 PM
I believe that the book of Job teaches us that God will not allow us to be more faithful to him , than he is to us. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Barang
07-13-2014, 10:32 PM
I like the part when he said "though He slay me I still will trust." (paraphrasing)

Found it:

Job 13: 15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. KJV

Kokopelli
07-14-2014, 5:34 AM
"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Moses was 80 before God started using him. Abraham was 100 before he and Sarah had the son promised. So there's still lots in store for old guys like us. :)

gdr_11
07-14-2014, 7:23 PM
"13 Those who are planted in the house of the Lord
Shall flourish in the courts of our God.

14 They shall still bear fruit in old age;
They shall be fresh and flourishing,

15 To declare that the Lord is upright;
He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him."

One of my favorites from Psalm 92.