PDA

View Full Version : Shooting spot near Lake Elsinore?

thedonger
07-07-2014, 4:30 PM
I'm helping to plan a Youth Camping trip and we are looking for a range or shooting spot near the Lake Elsinore area. We can provide all the needed gear but mainly need an economical or free location open to shooting Rifles, Pistols and possibly Flipping some Clays.

I have heard of Christmas Tree Ln out toward Perris, but have not been. Anything closer to the lake or the mountains?

PM me if you do not want to post a location publicly.

bajadan
07-07-2014, 4:40 PM
Steele Peak is right down the street. Its public BLM land open to the public. But last I heard was it might be closed for the fire Season.

toddh
07-07-2014, 4:46 PM
You know there is a ban on shooting on state/federal lands because of fire danger.

Good luck on finding free/private land to use.

I Swan
07-07-2014, 8:57 PM
Steele peak closed. I have a feeling may be permanent. Too many people blabbed about it anyhow at least some CGN cleanups put a dent in it but it may be too late. Fire danger was good excuse for them to close it.

revo1911
07-07-2014, 8:58 PM
So does this mean no hunting?

jben
07-07-2014, 9:06 PM
I understand that fire closure may temporarily change things, but can you still shoot up by Blue Jay Campground on the Cleveland (Ortega HWY)?

It's been close to 30 years but we used to camp and shoot up there.

thedonger
07-08-2014, 8:48 AM
I understand that fire closure may temporarily change things, but can you still shoot up by Blue Jay Campground on the Cleveland (Ortega HWY)?

It's been close to 30 years but we used to camp and shoot up there.

Blue Jay is where we are thinking of camping and Mt. Biking, shooting would be day 2. Any more info on where in that specific area would be great.

jben
07-08-2014, 2:42 PM
Blue Jay is where we are thinking of camping and Mt. Biking, shooting would be day 2. Any more info on where in that specific area would be great.

Like I said, it's been about 30 years. I just remember the spot was near Blue Jay on the north side of Ortega:shrug:

Hopefully somebody that still lives down there will chime in.

thedonger
07-09-2014, 3:14 PM
Bump

07-09-2014, 3:22 PM
Like I said, it's been about 30 years. I just remember the spot was near Blue Jay on the north side of Ortega:shrug:

Hopefully somebody that still lives down there will chime in.

sorry, no. blue jay has been closed to shooting for over 20 years. the closest public, legal place to shoot, at this time, would be the range at Lytle Creek or WEGC.

71MUSTY
07-09-2014, 3:36 PM
Steele Peak is right down the street. Its public BLM land open to the public. But last I heard was it might be closed for the fire Season.

You would not want to take youths camping someplace like Steele Peak. Way to many idiots with guns when it's open.

I would suggest calling the local ranges and see if they will offer a package deal for the kids. Bear in mind you will need written permission slips from their parents.