PDA

View Full Version : nervous about glock no safety

Ken O
03-22-2014, 7:22 AM
Hi, I have a CCW and the guns that I like to carry have manual safeties. I'm seriously thinking about getting either the glock 26 or 30. The no manual safety makes me a bit nervous. Are my fears misplaced? Are they less safe like I assume?
thanks, Ken

Bangzoom
03-22-2014, 7:31 AM
makes me nervous too

my choice will be a nice double single action with a semi heavy trigger in double

maybe a sig

SonofWWIIDI
03-22-2014, 7:32 AM
Lots of LEO'S use glocks everyday. Unless you ignore safe handling and holstering, you should be just fine.

IMHO

If you are really concerned, get a 1911!
:D

hitman13
03-22-2014, 7:34 AM
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/attachments/concealed-open-carry/36284d1347227392-fyi-users-taurus-security-key-hoot.jpg

Seventh
03-22-2014, 7:35 AM
If you have a proper holster that covers the trigger there's no worries. If you're really concerned you can roll with an empty chamber... but that may prove to be more dangerous IMO.

My EDC is a G33 and I don't worry about it at all.

VectorScalar
03-22-2014, 7:36 AM
You have to make your own decisions about that. I personally require manual safeties, but that's because of my situation: I am 1/2 deaf and have an autistic son who has a great deal of mechanical aptitude. I want the manual safety in case I'm sleeping and he comes to my bedside.....I need the extra time to give myself every opportunity to wake up before tragedy strikes. He is young enough that by the time I am comfortable with his level of gun safety, I will have been training for at least a decade....so I can't see myself switching from a manual to trigger-only safety.

If I wasn't in my situation, I might be nervous at first, but just like I got used to carrying condition 1 I would get used to it in a week or two.

I will say that holstering is a bit more of an issue, but if you are doing it right there is no real difference.

Moto
03-22-2014, 7:38 AM
What would make me nervous is knowing someone would have to rely on a manual safety to be "safe".

OP,
if the gun is in a good holster, then the trigger guard is covered and you're safe. The rest of the time, please follow the 4 rules.

12voltguy
03-22-2014, 7:41 AM
Hi, I have a CCW and the guns that I like to carry have manual safeties. I'm seriously thinking about getting either the glock 26 or 30. The no manual safety makes me a bit nervous. Are my fears misplaced? Are they less safe like I assume?
thanks, Ken

if you fear them,don't get one
less safe?
how many cops,fbi,cia,etc carry them? most;)

03-22-2014, 7:43 AM
I have never understood it when someone says that a Glock is unsafe because it does not have a manual safety. The majority of all double action revolvers ever made do not have manual safeties, and no one seems to think that is an issue. As mentioned above numerous Police and Military forces worldwide use Glock pistols, and it is not an issue.

The most important safety is between the ears of the person handling the gun.

12voltguy
03-22-2014, 7:43 AM
You have to make your own decisions about that. I personally require manual safeties, but that's because of my situation: I am 1/2 deaf and have an autistic son who has a great deal of mechanical aptitude. I want the manual safety in case I'm sleeping and he comes to my bedside.....I need the extra time to give myself every opportunity to wake up before tragedy strikes. He is young enough that by the time I am comfortable with his level of gun safety, I will have been training for at least a decade....so I can't see myself switching from a manual to trigger-only safety.

If I wasn't in my situation, I might be nervous at first, but just like I got used to carrying condition 1 I would get used to it in a week or two.

I will say that holstering is a bit more of an issue, but if you are doing it right there is no real difference.

I think you need a bed side pistol safe:eek:

Ibefuz
03-22-2014, 7:53 AM
Look at the xd, no manuel safety per say, just a grip safety. So you actually have to hold the gun properly to shoot it

glockman19
03-22-2014, 7:55 AM
I love Glocks...NO SAFETY...Just keep your F'n finger off the trigger.

lt05deluxe
03-22-2014, 7:55 AM
Get an HK.

evidens83
03-22-2014, 8:01 AM
Keep your booger finger off the trigger just like any other weapon and you should be GTG ;)

I carry my G19 and am still extra cautious though. .

Varg Vikernes
03-22-2014, 8:09 AM
Get a CZ then I guess??

Ronin2
03-22-2014, 8:16 AM
thanks, Ken

You have a CCW and you are concerned about the safety of a Glock? You need to get some professional training. Anyone who is carrying a concealed weapon should have already had sufficient training to know that ones brain is the primary safety on any weapon and to maintaing a straight trigger finger UNLESS you are looking thru the sights at a target you make a conscious decision to shoot!

thegamettt
03-22-2014, 8:16 AM
I thought I would like the manual safety on my shield, but I actually prefer it off. You'll be fine as long you follow the safety rules. I used to be nervous around guns that didn't have a safety but over time I've grown to like them better. Get a good holster!

Prowler
03-22-2014, 8:20 AM
I love 1911's...however I must say that the Glock does work very well. Practice, practice, practice with your Glock. Gain confidence in your ability to manipulate a Glock. Proper grip and trigger finger control, and your confidence with the weapon, will allow you to make a better choice. Put yourself under stressful situations, in a safe shooting environment, and practice with one. It will help. Otherwise don't carry a Glock! You'll probably end up liking them after you use one for a while. Just my .02! Good luck! :)

Packy14
03-22-2014, 8:20 AM
safeties on guns are not safe. they get you shot.

Oceanbob
03-22-2014, 8:21 AM
Ken

A proper holster and finger outside the trigger guard until rock and roll time.

The 4 rules.

In another life my carry was a 1911, condition 1.
Hammer back over a live round thumb safety engaged. I was proficient drawing and shooting. With the Glock, much easier if you train properly.

Back in the 70s the LA sheriffs carried revolvers that were neutered to operate double action only. Seems that a cocked revolver had too light a pull and sometimes suspects would get shot unintentionally by nervous deputies. :eek:

Think of the Glock as a double action revolver with a 5.5 pound trigger. :)

Don't shove it down your pants with your finger inside the trigger guard unless you want to sing soprano the rest of your life.:43:

downdiver2
03-22-2014, 8:26 AM
Boom!

You're welcome: http://www.siderlock.com/

I don't use this, but its the only option for Glock to have a 'manual' safety.

dyson
03-22-2014, 8:28 AM
I think you need a bed side pistol safe:eek:

also might not want to post his situation on the internet, i thought some recent legislation passed about storage and minors.

jdben92883
03-22-2014, 8:29 AM
Your assumption is incorrect. They are MORE safe than many other configurations. There are several safeties incorporated in the Glock design. Unless you have poor finger discipline or get sloppy about reholstering, a Glock will not fire until you want it to.

thanks, Ken

nimroder
03-22-2014, 8:36 AM
Hi Ken, your fears are misplaced. Just keep your finger off the trigger. The only thing you have to be mindful of, is that trigger needs to be pulled when you disassemble your gun. In my personal experience, more people have shot themselves disassembling their Glocks then accidental discharges when carrying CCW.

wjc
03-22-2014, 8:36 AM
Not a Glock fan...I use 1911's.

I'm curious.

Assuming no manual safety lever like a 1911, do Glocks not incorporate a grip/slide safety or some other method that is "automatic" to the operation of the pistol?

ElDub1950
03-22-2014, 8:40 AM
Safety, no safety, right, wrong .. doesn't matter. If you're afraid of carrying that gun, you shouldn't. If you think you want one anyway, get it and train with it A LOT. You'll either get comfortable with it or get rid of it and move on to something else.

But really, the only valid reason for being nervous about any no-safety gun is lack of experience with it. Get the experience or don't .. your choice.

Advocate
03-22-2014, 8:45 AM
thanks, Ken

The safety is called your "brain" and your "trigger finger". Also of notable benefit is actually training with your gun instead of having it sit in a safe...

44fred
03-22-2014, 8:45 AM
OP
There is danger in carrying any gun. If the threat of your pistol being snatched out of your holster is great, I wouldn't even have a round in the chamber. Israelies train to draw and rack the slide in one fluid motion.
Unless we train throughout the year firing a couple hundred rounds a month, and practice our draw very frequently, chances are your going to screw up flipping a safety off under pressure. Let's face it, most CCW holders don't get out and practice. I've talked to many who only shoot their pistol during CCW renewal.
Nothing wrong with being concerned about safety.
To the man with the autistic boy, my recommendation is keep it in a quick access safe or don't keep a loaded chamber.

Fjold
03-22-2014, 8:49 AM
I carried a 1911 for many years before switching to the S&W M&P without a manual safety. There was a significant amount of re-training required.

Jason95357
03-22-2014, 8:52 AM
Not to repeat what others said (finger discipline (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE), safe muzzle direction at all times, etc.), what hasn't been said is this:

You should never, ever be in a rush to holster your weapon. That's the only way I can see a negligent discharge occurring with a Glock if the finger discipline is there. You never holster your weapon until the threat is cleared, and at that point you can use two hands and your eyes to make sure you can return your weapon to your holster without a clothing issue. Personally, because of the deep concealment I use (Remora "no clip" holster w/the tuckable option (https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/Articles.asp?ID=259)), I would loosen my belt in order to be re-holstering anyway.

The majority of the time, my EDC Glock 26 never leaves its holster, From safe to nightstand to 3/4 o'clock on my hip, it's in a holster. If I'm changing weapons, I will do a mag and press check, but otherwise the trigger never sees the light of day. My weapon is typically with me 24/7, but because I follow the same routine, always, I never need to remove it from the holster to look at it.

Also, holster selection is critical. Don't get something not specifically tailored to your weapon, and with a rigid fit that won't even bind or buckle inward. Otherwise, you might ND while putting on your seatbelt (http://blog.asiantown.net/-/5782/man-accidentally-shot-his-leg-while-trying-to-put-a-seatbell-on) or taking off your seatbelt and fatally wound yourself (http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/1427075-man-grocery-store-reaches-unbuckle-his.html).

cjc16
03-22-2014, 9:00 AM
.... have an autistic son who has a great deal of mechanical aptitude. I want the manual safety in case I'm sleeping and he comes to my bedside.....I need the extra time to give myself every opportunity to wake up before tragedy strikes. ....
Please lock up that gun before something really bad happens.

purer00r
03-22-2014, 9:02 AM
-----------------

Intimid8tor
03-22-2014, 9:07 AM
Everyone else has already said it. No reason to fear but do what you are comfortable with.

Jason95357
03-22-2014, 9:13 AM
Its probably still the gun your nervous about. What I mean is you might be nervous or fear of the tool, nothing to be worried about. Just respect it, understand how it functions, get some training and be safe. This goes for all tools, the right tool for the right job. Manual safety sounds more like a under the pillow gun, no manual safety is a carry option. Option I say, because only you know your level of your comfortability. Hope this helps you out a little.

I recall when I started carrying, I was very concerned about carrying one in the chamber. So I did not until I had professional training, and then practiced dry firing until I could do everything with muscle memory. Do not override your concern until your skill level brings up your confidence level. You should increase your skill level such that you have no fear of carrying without a safey and with one in the chamber because you know you will act correctly each time - with live firing going on around you, with loved ones nearby knowing you can handle your weapon and not hurt anyone you don't intend to. Seriously, get professional training so you can get feedback on how to handle things properly.

If I have to have a safety to feel confident that I won't shoot someone, I think that's a problem and I need more practice. But don't be overly confident and override yourself. Have someone also trained watch and review what you're doing and take correction. It's good you don't take it lightly, and definitely don't override this with false-confidence or let bad habits set in.

If someone says you're sweeping yourself or someone else you don't intend to shoot, you have to stop and listen to them and take corrective action to re-train yourself to be more aware of where your mussel is and force new muscle-memory learned behavior.

Jason95357
03-22-2014, 9:24 AM
Wow, just saw this video, so I think it's still wise, safety or not, to have a plan on what you'll do should a ND occur. Further, that you really should think twice before practicing in an isolated area by yourself.

Negligent Discharge -- Could it Happen to You? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTGDKe-uy3E)

There is some excellent trigger finger advice in this video as well to prevent a "sympatchic squeeze response". I personally was taught and have always just practiced having my finger high on the slide when I don't have a target engaged.

Lead Waster
03-22-2014, 9:33 AM
All external safeties are designed to prevent the gun from firing if the trigger is pulled. The question is "why is the trigger being pulled?"

I think it's mostly bad reholstering that is the problem. Or bad drawing.

Open nobody said you need to use a glock, just find a different gun that you are comfortable with. If you want a glock, look into the new York triggers.

1CavScout
03-22-2014, 9:36 AM
I will echo what has already been said. Proper training, Proper trigger discipline and a holster that covers the trigger. I carried two Glocks (one as a BUG) for many years as an LEO, and conceal carry one now. Never had an issue, and feel very comfortable carrying one. I do not like manual safeties on a carry gun.

Ken O
03-22-2014, 9:49 AM
Thanks for all the great input. I have had training, I guess that maybe I am just being overly cautious about the safety issue. At first I didn't even want to chamber a round, then realized that I might as well not even carry. No doubt, it's all about the training and discipline. I'm going with the glock
thanks, Ken

bulletblood
03-22-2014, 9:50 AM
Keep things consistent. You have manual safety guns, get a striker fire with a manual safety. Not a glock. People keep saying the real safety is the one in between your ears, well that thing in between you ears is saying you are most comfortable with safeties. Listen to it.

Shasta Frog
03-22-2014, 9:55 AM
Safeties aren't safe when you are about to die and you forget to take them off :D

BigPimping
03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
thanks, Ken

I totally relate. I have a Glock 22 but I use my P95 a lot more. I know it has a internal safety, but I would likely get a gun with an external safety if I ever carried it. It just makes me feel better. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

bohoki
03-22-2014, 10:02 AM
i seldom use a safety selector when it exists but its operation more closely resembles a double action only so the only way it will go off is if you actuate the trigger

my p226 doesnt have a safety selector

unlike say an ar-15 or 1911 where its just a couple millimeters of sear metal keeping it from going off

Spaceghost
03-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Keep your booger hook off the trigger until you need to shoot. I train with gocks and love them.

smittty
03-22-2014, 10:06 AM
I don't have an issue with the Glock system but there was another recent case in which a LE had an accidental discharge that was linked to his jacket drawstring getting caught in the trigger guard (during holstering). After holstering it he it pulled his jacket and his weapon discharged while in the holster. He was a chief of police but that doesn't mean he's qualified or diligent IMO.

A pistol with a manual safety or grip safety might have prevented that but My personal belief is that he wasn't diligent in making sure his holster was clear before holstering his weapon.

ZRT650
03-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Glocks have 3 safeties. As long as you do your job (keep your finger off the trigger) it will do its job. Anyone uncomfortable with that fact needs to train more. Once you have trained to the level where you become comfortable you will find that Glocks, among other striker fired guns, really are the best bet for defensive use. Most go bang every time you pull the trigger with out having to worry about anything besides getting on target and breaking your shot to eliminate your threat. If you actually invest in some proper defensive training that requires you to function under stress you will greatly appreciate the simplicity and reliability of a Glock.

Rickrock1
03-22-2014, 10:20 AM
I have carried a G30 for ask long as I can remember

Dvrjon
03-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Not a Glock fan...I use 1911's.

I'm curious.

Assuming no manual safety lever like a 1911, do Glocks not incorporate a grip/slide safety or some other method that is "automatic" to the operation of the pistol?
No slide/grip safety. But internal mechanisms are "automatic" to the system and make it really hard to screw up. You have to have your finger on the trigger, and the trigger must be pressed and held for the gun to discharge.
http://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

JR

bohoki
03-22-2014, 3:15 PM
i only know of 2 safetys on the glock

one is the little trigger on the trigger the other is the firing pin block that gets pushed up when the trigger bar moves

den888
03-22-2014, 4:23 PM
Your finger is your safety!

Advocate
03-22-2014, 4:26 PM
Fear is typically a result of inexperience and trepidation arising from an unfamiliarity with the weapons system of choice. As I mentioned before, if you receive proper training and observe the golden rules governing firearms, a glock is an excellent choice despite the lack of a traditional safety. However, the other side of the coin is that familiarity with the weapon system must be tempered with vigilance regarding the safe handling of the weapons.

Nobody ever won a gun fight rushing their weapon to its holster...;)

RickD427
03-22-2014, 4:31 PM
Please do Google search on the malady commonly known as "Glock Foot."

Then try a search on "Heckler and Koch Foot" and "1911 Foot."

Interesting results

Virus55
03-22-2014, 4:38 PM
My sister was afraid too. So I said try a springfield and she did.

Mstnpete
03-22-2014, 4:42 PM
I've been a competition shooter since 1994 and using Glocks with less than 2lbs of trigger pull. As everyone has stated, trigger finger off the trigger.
Never have I had any AD's on any match nor on any time I have carried.
I have carried both 1911's and Glocks in WA state as my CCW for more than 10 years. A good holster is the way to go. I would not carry a loaded Glock and make it a pocket pistol. Even with the kind of training I have.
I always like using holsters on my Glocks.

Mstnpete
03-22-2014, 4:54 PM
If you want to learn safety real fast: and how to shoot and learn to change mag!

Come join & shoot IPSC-USPSA! And use a Glock!

WWW.JVDYNAMICS.COM

mag360
03-22-2014, 5:22 PM
Handguns dont need safeties. If it is the holster it is safe, if it is out of the holster then its business time.

Dvrjon
03-22-2014, 5:43 PM
I don't have an issue with the Glock system but there was another recent case in which a LE had an accidental discharge that was linked to his jacket drawstring getting caught in the trigger guard (during holstering). After holstering it he it pulled his jacket and his weapon discharged while in the holster. He was a chief of police but that doesn't mean he's qualified or diligent IMO.

A pistol with a manual safety or grip safety might have prevented that but My personal belief is that he wasn't diligent in making sure his holster was clear before holstering his weapon.

You cannot cure stupid. That clown (Chief of Police) was more interested in cutting a deal on the new Glock than he was in paying attention to holstering the weapon (AND, he's shot himself before.). The Glock ain't the problem.

JR

Ranger20
03-22-2014, 6:27 PM
Perhaps you should get some training

NickTheGreek
03-22-2014, 6:45 PM
I personally require manual safeties, but that's because of my situation: I am 1/2 deaf and have an autistic son who has a great deal of mechanical aptitude. I want the manual safety in case I'm sleeping and he comes to my bedside.....I need the extra time to give myself every opportunity to wake up before tragedy strikes. He is young enough that by the time I am comfortable with his level of gun safety, I will have been training for at least a decade....so I can't see myself switching from a manual to trigger-only safety.

http://i.imgur.com/RDfT1S0.gif

:facepalm: :facepalm: :eek: :eek: :mad:

LOCKUP THAT GUN!!

http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-X055-Security-Cubic-Black/dp/B000Z8P5Z2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1395542823&sr=8-8&keywords=gun+safe

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-SpeedVault-SV500-gun-safe/dp/B006OGNLKA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1395542823&sr=8-4&keywords=gun+safe

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-PDS-500-Drawer-Safe-Electronic/dp/B002KEIU4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395542823&sr=8-1&keywords=gun+safe

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-MV500-STD-Microvault-Pistol-Safe/dp/B000TG9RCC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395542823&sr=8-2&keywords=gun+safe

http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV300-NanoVault-Combination-Lock/dp/B003841ZBS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1395542823&sr=8-14&keywords=gun+safe

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 6:45 PM
Witnessed one, heard of a lot of AD's with Glocks. They don't get reported so no stats. I'll carry a 1911 or a Sig thank you. The AD I witnessed was LEO.

vintagearms
03-22-2014, 6:51 PM
If your not comfortable CCWing without an external safety, perhaps you should reconsider carrying at all.

Dvrjon
03-22-2014, 7:21 PM

Interesting results

Rick, C'mon, that's not really fair.

The five people who own H&K's don't shoot their guns. They just tell people they own an HK. :)

"1911 leg shot" is a better search, legs are bigger targets.

Glock suffers from two major issues: a marketing gambit of "safe action" combined with the ideal of "Perfection", and a desire to put as many products on the street as possible.

As soon as one associates the masses with a product, the concept of "Perfection" goes out the door, and humans make "safe actions" unsafe.

Cheers.

JR

The Right to Bear Arms
03-22-2014, 7:41 PM
Get a CZ then I guess??

hahaha. Op: I am quoting Varg because I feel it lightens the mood since I am a Glock guy who shoots trains with various platforms for familiarity.

Perhaps, I am feeding into the stereotype that current CCW's all have a resume of some sort. Be it the military, LEO, or my favorite specialized civilian training. That said, I'm frankly a little surprised that you aren't more versed on the platform. So I'll assume you genuinely do not know about the features of the Glock. Like a few of the other people have alluded too the Glock is safe. It's probably the safest platform being carried by LEO's today. Jump onto the company website or Glock Talk and get a bird's eye view of how safe it really is.

Ultimately, whatever platform you carry provided this is a sincere inquiry and not some lame attempt to incite a platform debate, the responsibility to be " Safe " is all on you, not the gun.

Perfection !

RBA

nahpungnome
03-22-2014, 7:48 PM
Finger off the trigger until you're sure you need to fire.

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 8:04 PM
Finger off the trigger until you're sure you need to fire.

What's the last thing you need to do before taking your Glock apart? Drop the hammer on an empty chamber. Except sometimes it's not empty. That's a design flaw. Don't just tell me I'm wrong, tell me why.

TATER313
03-22-2014, 8:10 PM
With me the manual safety will be off before it levels out part of my grip, The only problem with safe action pistols like glock, mp , etc is re holstering, several Leo and other people accidentally discharged and shot themselves catching on jacket draw strings. Just make nothing gets caught in trigger guard while re-holstering. Here is a video. I use to carry a G27 in waist band with no holster with no issues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJMQupYxaw&feature=share

NaSir510
03-22-2014, 8:14 PM
i say dont buy and play with other pistols,NOOB!

TATER313
03-22-2014, 8:14 PM
By the way why is the guy in the above video still a police chief, 2nd time he shot himself, I would say make him a meter maid but he might get run over by his own meter maid cart.

redcliff
03-22-2014, 8:15 PM
"Is handgun; is not safe" as our Russian friends would say.

Even with regular training negligent discharges can and do happen. While "my finger is my safety" is a nifty saying our minds don't always control our fingers too well under stress or pay proper attention when casually re-holstering or doing administrative loading/unloading.

NYPD averages 26 ND's per year with their GLocks and Washington D.C. averages 12. While the goal is zero they both have a lot of officers carrying them.

Personally I like a manual safety on my pistols just as I like them on my rifles and shotguns. YMMV.

ElDub1950
03-22-2014, 8:18 PM
What's the last thing you need to do before taking your Glock apart? Drop the hammer on an empty chamber. Except sometimes it's not empty. That's a design flaw. Don't just tell me I'm wrong, tell me why.

Can't disagree, I think they should have designed that out. Love my glocks and it doesn't bother me .. I do it safely blah blah blah all the other normal answers.

Although, not sure it's any any better to allow the gun to be taken down with a round chambered when you have someone not following basic safety instructions and failing to make sure the gun is empty.

Syds Grandpa
With me the manual safety will be off before it levels out part of my grip, The only problem with safe action pistols like glock, mp , etc is re holstering, several Leo and other people accidentally discharged and shot themselves catching on jacket draw strings. Just make nothing gets caught in trigger guard while re-holstering. Here is a video. I use to carry a G27 in waist band with no holster with no issues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJMQupYxaw&feature=share

Don't worry about my 1911 doing that, which I've carried every day for ever. Don't worry about my Sig doing that when I carry that. Amazingly enough, the LEO that I witnessed the AD with still defends the gun.

HPGunner

^the first and last thing you do before you take your Glock or any gun for that matter is to check if it has an empty chamber. Check it twice or three times. It only takes a second to check it.

So to me it's not a design flaw. Your telling me that sometimes when your field stripping your Sig or 1911 (non-Glock) the chamber is not empty and you didn't realize it until you've field stripped it?

TATER313
03-22-2014, 8:30 PM
I have carried glocks with no issues, but I love my steel frame guns with manual safeties, I have 3 cz's and working on my 4th. I would still carry a glock if I had too, with any firearm you clear your weapon before cleaning etc, so there should be no issue with accidental discharge while disassembling or cleaning. Common sense goes a long way.

TATER313
03-22-2014, 8:31 PM
^the first and last thing you do before you take your Glock or any gun for that matter is to check if it has an empty chamber. Check it twice or three times. It only takes a second to check it.

So to me it's not a design flaw. Your telling me that sometimes when your field stripping your Sig or 1911 (non-Glock) the chamber is not empty and you didn't realize it until you've field stripped it?

Agreed with above.

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 8:33 PM
Can't disagree, I think they should have designed that out. Love my glocks and it doesn't bother me .. I do it safely blah blah blah all the other normal answers.

Although, not sure it's any any better to allow the gun to be taken down with a round chambered when you have someone not following basic safety instructions and failing to make sure the gun is empty.

An honest man. thank you. You've restored my faith in humanity. Honestly, you hear about ADs with Glocks way to much. Might not happen with you or I, but we respect the consequences. The LEO I witnessed this happen with is a high level guy. He trains others.
Full disclosure, I'm a 1911 freak. Thanks for your reply.

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 8:35 PM
Agreed with above.

A 1911 you can ease the hammer down, a Sig has a decocking lever. Are you really going to make this argument? Do you own a gun other then a Glock?

RickD427
03-22-2014, 8:40 PM
Rick, C'mon, that's not really fair.

The five people who own H&K's don't shoot their guns. They just tell people they own an HK. :)

"1911 leg shot" is a better search, legs are bigger targets.

Glock suffers from two major issues: a marketing gambit of "safe action" combined with the ideal of "Perfection", and a desire to put as many products on the street as possible.

As soon as one associates the masses with a product, the concept of "Perfection" goes out the door, and humans make "safe actions" unsafe.

Cheers.

JR

Dvrjon,

You're right (almost). I think there's at least seven folks with HK's and at least two of them shoot.

You've got a point with Glock marketing. Every weapon has it's strong and weak points and all are subject to ND's if not properly handled. I've seen a lot from a variety of different weapon platforms. A few years ago I had the opportunity to read the Admin Investigation into the ND of a Sea Sparrow missile from a Navy ship. It doesn't just happen with handguns. I just get a little humor from the phrase "Glock Foot."

I'm pleased that most posters in this thread have been quick to (accurately) point out that no mechanical device is fully reliable, and there there is no substitute for safe weapon handling.

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 8:50 PM

Is it necessary to fire (squeeze the trigger slapping the firing pin) on a Sig or a 1911 to dis assemble the weapon? A simple yes or no will be adequate.

TATER313
03-22-2014, 8:51 PM
I don't own glocks anymore, I have seen people accidently discharge with 1911 and Beretta , sigs etc. I own Cz, with manual safety, colt revolvers. I like 1911's also, but safety is the same with all firearms, always clear your weapon. You do run a risk when re-holstering a glock or others like it with safety built into the trigger. Having an accidental discharge with any firearm while disassembling and cleaning is just negligence. and you never pull the trigger on any firearm unless you check and clear unless you are intentionally firing the weapon. I myself like my CZ and a 1911 over a glock any day.

redcliff
03-22-2014, 9:13 PM
Is it necessary to fire (squeeze the trigger slapping the firing pin) on a Sig or a 1911 to dis assemble the weapon? A simple yes or no will be adequate.

No.

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 9:15 PM
No.

Thank You, And that my friend is the design flaw. Some of us are only human. LOL.

Dvrjon
03-22-2014, 9:21 PM
Dvrjon,

You're right (almost). I think there's at least seven folks with HK's and at least two of them shoot.

You've got a point with Glock marketing. Every weapon has it's strong and weak points and all are subject to ND's if not properly handled. I've seen a lot from a variety of different weapon platforms. A few years ago I had the opportunity to read the Admin Investigation into the ND of a Sea Sparrow missile from a Navy ship. It doesn't just happen with handguns. I just get a little humor from the phrase "Glock Foot."

I'm pleased that most posters in this thread have been quick to (accurately) point out that no mechanical device is fully reliable, and there there is no substitute for safe weapon handling.

The Air Force didn't have a problem with the Sparrow; give it to the Navy and.....ND. :43:

JR

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 9:29 PM
The Air Force didn't have a problem with the Sparrow; give it to the Navy and.....ND. :43:

JR

I've machined parts for the Sea Sparrow. Actually I think they call it the Evolved Sea Sparrow now. That damn things so old it has Tubes in it.

nahpungnome
03-22-2014, 9:43 PM

Honestly, I don't like this procedure myself. I however do know that my G19 is always unloaded before I take it apart to clean, along with all of my pistols. I think if you just pull the trigger without making sure that it's not chambered is just careless in any scenario. Unless you intend to shoot :P

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 9:50 PM
Honestly, I don't like this procedure myself. I however do know that my G19 is always unloaded before I take it apart to clean, along with all of my pistols. I think if you just pull the trigger without making sure that it's not chambered is just careless in any scenario. Unless you intend to shoot :P

That's exactly what my LEO buddy, a Post trainer, says. You know, the guy that had the AD. I think it comes down to the old "If you handle enough eggs" thing. It's a bad probability. Look, guns are dangerous things in human hands. We don't need any help in screwing up.

hossb7
03-22-2014, 9:56 PM
Anyone who does not check the chamber both visually and physically before field stripping any gun should not be handling firearms in the first place.

nahpungnome
03-22-2014, 10:00 PM
That's exactly what my LEO buddy, a Post trainer, says. You know, the guy that had the AD. I think it comes down to the old "If you handle enough eggs" thing. It's a bad probability. Look, guns are dangerous things in human hands. We don't need any help in screwing up.

Can't argue with that. Numbers suck :) I honestly do see more Glock ND/AD videos than other firearms, but then again, aren't Glocks more prevalent vs other firearms?. Hopefully your buddy wasn't hurt.

RickD427
03-22-2014, 10:08 PM

JR

That wasn't the only ND of missile that I read about from Navy. The fire on the USS Forrestal also started with the ND of a Zuni missile. That missile hit a plane piloted by John McCain who then bailed out. After he bailed out, his plane dropped the bomb that first struck the flight deck and started the whole conflagration. The root cause of the ND was found to be deliberate disregard for a known safety hazard in the interest of speeding up flight operations.

There's no substitute for safety when you're handling firearms, or missiles, or bombs.

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Can't argue with that. Numbers suck :) I honestly do see more Glock ND/AD videos than other firearms, but then again, aren't Glocks more prevalent vs other firearms?. Hopefully your buddy wasn't hurt.

Actually 1911's are the most prevalent. Well, most produced, most sold. I haven't seen any data on most carried. But I would imagine Glock has a big impact there.

nahpungnome
03-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Actually 1911's are the most prevalent. Well, most produced, most sold. I haven't seen any data on most carried. But I would imagine Glock has a big impact there.

1911s, I love them in all shapes and forms :) LEOs and a lot of people that carry don't seem to use them (based on what I've read, but the internet, you know :)) Do Glocks need a safety? I honestly don't know. Would it add another level of safety? Definitely.

mikehtiger
03-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Carried a 27 for 3 years now, I only have three or four holes in my leg :D I kid I kid...

Syds Grandpa
03-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Carried a 27 for 3 years now, I only have three or four holes in my leg :D I kid I kid...

You owe me a new computer screen. That was funny.

five.five-six
03-22-2014, 10:34 PM

Interesting results

I thought it was "glock leg" :shrug:

Noggles
03-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Glocks have three mechanical safeties... Add in your trigger finger and your brain and that makes five. If you are too unsafe with FIVE safeties you shouldn't play with big boy toys.

rman
03-22-2014, 10:40 PM
im a wuss about it too. so i went with sig sauer

now that ccw is on the horizon, i wanted a smaller .45... went with the XDs... small, great reviews, and a grip safety :)

im still a wuss regarding glocks and m&ps...

Sent from my Apple Galaxy Note 7

five.five-six
03-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Glocks have three mechanical safeties... Add in your trigger finger and your brain and that makes five. If you are too unsafe with FIVE safeties you shouldn't play with big boy toys.

On that same token, if you cant remember to flip off a thumb safety, how are you going to remember to keep your finger off the trigger until your sites are on the target?

HPBrowningMK3
03-22-2014, 10:52 PM
thanks, Ken

Ken, yours is a valid concern. It might take some time getting used to it, but Glock's safety is just fine and allows you to get on target really quick in a high stress situation. My thought is if you follow the rule number 1: "Your gun is *always loaded*", you have nothing to worry about. Note I did not say "as if it was loaded".

Ultimately, if you dont like it or cant get used to it, dont carry it. Carry something you are comfortable and proficient with.