PDA

View Full Version : Getting into marksmanship

ckgarside
03-20-2014, 8:57 PM
Hey guys, Im 16 and I am interested in getting into marksmanship/ target shooting as a hobby. I would really appreciate it if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction(Whats clubs to contact, what ranges are good to go to, etc.) I am in Topanga, CA and want to know if there is anything local (30mi) that is worth looking into.

Whiterabbit
03-21-2014, 10:34 AM
decide what kinda target shooting you want to get into. pistol bullseye? silhouette? rifles: standing offhand? prone/field, target rifle? Blackpowder? Iron sights or scope?

If you have the ability, the club to look for is all of them. See what you like, and plan accordingly.

me, I like black powder rifle. Standing off hand, 25-50 yards, iron sights, patched round ball. Not so great for the person who likes scopes and 600 yards.

Jason95357
03-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Check out the Appleseed Project. Cheapest way to get going and you don't even need to own a rifle.

highpower790
03-25-2014, 5:01 PM
Look into highpower rifle competition and become a C.A. Grizzlie.The Grizzlies are juniors ranging in age from 14-20,www.teamgrizzlies.org

Hunter47
04-02-2014, 2:57 PM
ckgarside, what area to you live in CA. If you live in the Bay area or Sac there are a lot of amazing places that will welcome a first time shooter and some will even supply the rifle and ammo (you pay for the ammo) so you can shoot a match.

ckgarside
04-02-2014, 4:11 PM
Sadly, I dont live near the bay. I'm in Los Angeles near woodland hills. I have looked into the applesead project and I am considering signing up for a course, but I'm sure there must be some other groups in my area that I don't know about yet.

highpower790
04-02-2014, 4:16 PM
What has your interest,rifle or pistol?There is a socal chapter of the C.A. Grizzlies if rifle is what you want.