PDA

View Full Version : Glock to end production of Gen 3

Maddawg46
03-17-2014, 9:34 AM
Heard at work yesterday that Glock will end production of Hen 3 Glocks. Did not hear anything on time frame. This will end the Glock sales in California when the Gen 3 pistols run out. So now it seems that Glock has joi Ed S&W, and Ruger. Wonder how many more manufacturers will follow suit.

nikki#2
03-17-2014, 9:37 AM
Heard at work yesterday...

I hear a lot of things at work... Are you sure your source is reliable?

pc_load_letter
03-17-2014, 9:39 AM
From what I understand, the Gen3's are made in Austria while the Gen4's are US made.

Could be a cost cutting and\or effort to scale back costs. Would not surprise me.

PolishMike
03-17-2014, 9:43 AM
From what I understand, the Gen3's are made in Austria while the Gen4's are US made.

Could be a cost cutting and\or effort to scale back costs. Would not surprise me.

They make both in both places. Last I heard from my rep is that they will be making Gen 3's for a LONG time because of contract requirements all over the world.

North Bay Guy
03-17-2014, 9:43 AM

I don't think all of the 4th gens are made in Georgia. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd gens were fazed out soon, I hope not though.

5.56Geo
03-17-2014, 9:44 AM
Glock will continue to make Gen3 for a long time, don't believe the hype. I was told by a Glock armor at a Glock sponsored event that the Gen4's were made mostly for the US market and very few other countries request the Gen4's. California alone is a good percentage of Glock US sales so I doubt they would shut that market out.

Bad Caselaw
03-17-2014, 9:45 AM
Original Gen3 frames - that have been supplanted by Gen3 "SF" frames.

Caselaw

skilletboy
03-17-2014, 9:49 AM
Would love to have more than "I heard"... Link or source perhaps?

sd_shooter
03-17-2014, 9:49 AM
Glock will continue to make Gen3 for a long time, don't believe the hype. I was told by a Glock armor at a Glock sponsored event that the Gen4's were made mostly for the US market and very few other countries request the Gen4's. California alone is a good percentage of Glock US sales so I doubt they would shut that market out.

:rofl:

Shenaniguns
03-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Heard at work yesterday that Glock will end production of Hen 3 Glocks. Did not hear anything on time frame. This will end the Glock sales in California when the Gen 3 pistols run out. So now it seems that Glock has joi Ed S&W, and Ruger. Wonder how many more manufacturers will follow suit.

Do you have a credible source? I'm going to put this in the BS category.

smittty
03-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Not true.

Regarding the Austria comment, when ordering a Gen 3 Glock 19 you have choice of Austrian made or US made and they are marked accordingly.

trapshot68
03-17-2014, 10:04 AM
While Glock has discontinued some of the Gen3 models, it was more along the lines of the compensated models. And then the full size 20/21 models. But still making the SF frames of those versions.

SMCOUNTY9ER
03-17-2014, 10:05 AM
They are discontinuing the non SF Gen 3 20,21,29,30 models and all of the "C" models.

Shenaniguns
03-17-2014, 10:05 AM
And I've had two Gen 4's made in Austria and 1 in the US, certain models are made here but I believe almost all of them can be made in Austria.

disabledprepper87
03-17-2014, 10:08 AM
A buddy of mine was told that Glock will not be stopping making the gen 3's. California accounts for about 1/3 of their US sales. So you can all rest assured that they are not going anywhere. Although I really wish they would pull them all, and refuse sales to Law Enforcement too. That would go a long way to resolve the roster problem.

Shenaniguns
03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Can people reveal a reliable source before spreading any more rumors?

Speedpower
03-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Come on peeps, just ask yourself this: are they still producing Gen 2's? :facepalm:

Shenaniguns
03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Come on peeps, just ask yourself this: are they still producing Gen 2's? :facepalm:

So I guess you can provide proof of this rumor? I'll ask a Glock Rep myself.

hermosabeach
03-17-2014, 10:28 AM
I just don't get the gen 4 excitement.

It seems like the multiple grip panels is a sales point to a department who wants one gun to fit every officers hand.

And 90% just use the smallest one that is the same as the gen 1-3 frame.

--

I can't imagine that Glock would give up civilian sales in CA as we buy a lot of guns in this state.

Shenaniguns
03-17-2014, 10:55 AM

It seems like the multiple grip panels is a sales point to a department who wants one gun to fit every officers hand.

--

I can't imagine that Glock would give up civilian sales in CA as we buy a lot of guns in this state.

Better ergonomics, increased texture and in my experience better precision at longer distances. Those reasons are why I only buy Gen 4's from now on.

Speedpower
03-17-2014, 1:04 PM

--

You think? :rolleyes:

stix213
03-17-2014, 1:13 PM

They could end Gen 3 sales if they thought it would help the lawsuit against the roster.....

ElDub1950
03-17-2014, 1:15 PM
Not true.

Regarding the Austria comment, when ordering a Gen 3 Glock 19 you have choice of Austrian made or US made and they are marked accordingly.

Yes, but - (copied from CA Roster) "No Glock handguns made in the USA have been approved as of: Monday, March 17, 2014"

MrExel17
What I wanna know is when the Glock 1911 & Revolver is coming out?

stix213

--

Some people like the new mag release button as well, and being able to use the same gun in lefty configuration. Plus the .40S&W version is supposed to be more reliable when a light is attached to the rail (supposedly there were problems on gen3 when you had some extra wait attached to the front).

nikki#2
03-17-2014, 4:11 PM

^ I disagree.

I'd say ~90% don't use ANY backstrap on the Gen4 grip. The Gen4 grip is smaller than Gen1 - 3 frame. And for me, it fits my hand better than the Gen3.

Gen4 grip + installing the small backstrap = Gen3 grip.

If you leave it off (like on this gun), the grip is 2mm smaller than the Gen3... Which simply feels better to me. If it doesn't for you, don't get one. It's really that simple.
In my view, there's really nothing more 'to get'.... Well, except that the grip texture on the Gen4 is better too.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/g17fde.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/surfdog_photos/media/g17fde.jpg.html)

axhoaxho
03-17-2014, 4:18 PM
What I wanna know is when the Glock 1911 & Revolver is coming out?

Right after the Glock 12g semi-auto shotgun -- priced at $499, double recoil spring, no external safeties, came standard with the Glock U-shape rear sight.

Shenaniguns
03-17-2014, 4:27 PM
Thinking back to all the calgunners who gave SiG a hard time about warranty work vis a vis the Ca roster... At least SiG still wants to sell guns to us here in CA.....

What does that have anything to do with this topic? Unless you're assuming the rumors posted here have any credibility :rolleyes:

Who said Glock doesn't want to sell to Californians?
And denying warranty claims is worse than just not complying with the games played by the DOJ with the roster.

Advocate
03-17-2014, 4:35 PM
The glory of unsubstantiated internet rumors...

xDIEGOx
03-17-2014, 4:50 PM
No source? Don't care.

mlevans66
03-17-2014, 6:19 PM

Wait.....where did you get that from? I know that Glock joined in on a law suit against the "pay to play" roster so at least they are helping the fight here.
http://saf.org/?p=2527
As for the Gen 3 not being made I'd be surprised.

agent88
03-17-2014, 6:26 PM
Wait.....where did you get that from? I know that Glock joined in on a law suit against the "pay to play" roster so at least they are helping the fight here.

Link please. ..

mlevans66
03-17-2014, 6:39 PM
Link please. ..

I just left one BUT here ya go again! :D

BELLEVUE, WA – Attorneys for Glock, Inc. have filed an amicus curiae brief supporting the Second Amendment Foundation’s case in California, Pena v. Lindley, a lawsuit challenging the state handgun roster requirements that include microstamping and magazine disconnects.

Advocate
03-17-2014, 8:16 PM
I just left one BUT here ya go again! :D

What relevance does Glock's decision to join the fight to challenge the law have to do with whether or not Glock may or may not be terminating the G3? Maybe I missed something in earlier post.

vintagearms
03-17-2014, 8:22 PM

FUD. Please don't further spread false info without proof. :facepalm:

415Local
03-17-2014, 9:54 PM

Yea I don't think so...

Maddawg46
03-17-2014, 10:13 PM
One of the Leads at Bass Pro hunting department mentioned it to me. I just wanted to know if It's true. Not trying to start a firestorm about it. Kind of sorry I even asked the question!

nd21
03-17-2014, 10:33 PM
One of the Leads at Bass Pro hunting department mentioned it to me. I just wanted to know if It's true. Not trying to start a firestorm about it. Kind of sorry I even asked the question!

You didn't ask a question. You said it as if it were fact. If you had phrased it differently, or even just put a question mark at the end of the thread title, I bet that it wouldve gotten a different response.

Libertarian71
03-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Why would Glock consciously elect to forego all of its revenue from the sales of Gen3s to California civilian consumers? It makes no economic sense, given the popularity of the brand.

jdben92883
03-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from another you been messin' around

jb octane
03-18-2014, 12:27 AM
I would appreciate if you put "...eventually" in the title.

mlevans66
03-18-2014, 4:47 AM
What relevance does Glock's decision to join the fight to challenge the law have to do with whether or not Glock may or may not be terminating the G3? Maybe I missed something in earlier post.

I posted the link due to someone comment about Ca being one of Glocks largest market share and showed that it may be true since they are helping the fight.

Shenaniguns
03-18-2014, 5:32 AM
You didn't ask a question. You said it as if it were fact. If you had phrased it differently, or even just put a question mark at the end of the thread title, I bet that it wouldve gotten a different response.

Exactly