PDA

View Full Version : arrggggh 5.11 tactical double case 42" rifle bag...

high_revs
02-21-2014, 6:39 PM
won't still fit 2 scoped ARs. i tested an ar10 and ar15. both with prs stocks. one is 21" barrel and the other 24. (24 barely can fit). i thought both would based on some feedback i read. arrrgggh :mad: :mad:

my condor drag bag has a small rip at the zipper seams but usuable. dunno if something happens a copy can say, well it's not relaly locked and you can rip that seam wider to get to your firearms. LOL

i tried one upside down, opposite facing each other.. lengthwise it barely fit too. well, i guess this'll be for the AK and the rimfire or both rimfires.

should've just put that into a pelican case and what not.

Merc1138
02-21-2014, 6:47 PM
I don't see how you couldn't fit 2 scoped ARs in that bag. Having PRS stocks adds nothing to width. Unless maybe you've got some huge charging handles or bubble levels sticking out of the sides, they should fit.

Did you stuff the compartment on the side so full of crap that it's taking up interior space? Trying to close the compression straps but didn't loosen them up?

Bastard
02-21-2014, 6:57 PM
my experience with any soft sided side by side cases is, they suck! the so-called two rifle cases, maybe if you don't give a crap about things beating the crap out of each other.

I have ultimately settled on a pelican case - don't get the ones with the pluck-n-pull foam crap either, just the 3 piece foam with the center piece removed

TNP'R
02-21-2014, 7:01 PM
Designed for 16" ar's?

ocabj
02-21-2014, 7:16 PM
Unless you're traveling and have baggage restrictions, just go with a one rifle per case solution.

bigbully
02-21-2014, 8:47 PM
Something doesn't seem right. Pics?

high_revs
02-22-2014, 6:30 AM
nothing at all just the rifles first for test fitting. i can't recall which charging handle one is but it's a slightly wider one (badger??). the scopes are OB of 50mm

I don't see how you couldn't fit 2 scoped ARs in that bag. Having PRS stocks adds nothing to width. Unless maybe you've got some huge charging handles or bubble levels sticking out of the sides, they should fit.

Did you stuff the compartment on the side so full of crap that it's taking up interior space? Trying to close the compression straps but didn't loosen them up?

i can fit my 24". barely but lengthwise, it will fit.
Designed for 16" ar's?

will do it later.. working day.. :(
Something doesn't seem right. Pics?

sometimes i bring more than 2 when i'm meeting friends. or bring some i've not shot in a while. limited opportunities for pistol/rifle range. trap outing is easier since less time. (in and out in 1 hr usually).

Unless you're traveling and have baggage restrictions, just go with a one rifle per case solution.

teflondog
02-22-2014, 8:51 AM
I have that 5.11 double rifle bag. I can barely fit two 16" AR's in it. It's such a tight fit that I'm afraid the zippers will fail whenever I close the bag with the rifles inside. Taking off the optics helps some but I hate going through the hassle.

high_revs
02-22-2014, 9:06 AM
that's exactly why a zip has a tear on my condor drag bag. and i already tried to offset the rifles so that the scope aren't side by side.

meh.. this double rifle bag stuff. :rolleyes: i'll have to do ocabj's suggestion and get a cart of something like this from costco

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/328049.jpg
I have that 5.11 double rifle bag. I can barely fit two 16" AR's in it. It's such a tight fit that I'm afraid the zippers will fail whenever I close the bag with the rifles inside. Taking off the optics helps some but I hate going through the hassle.

Bastard
02-22-2014, 9:11 AM
sell/return the 5.11 bag and just get yourself a Pelican case... you know that is what you really want anyway. :reddevil:

high_revs
02-22-2014, 9:21 AM
i shoudl've.. $130 would've gone there instead. just a pita for fit in my little cr-v in the back since i'll want a long one.

i'll post pics later. maybe i'm just too stupid to see how to make it fit.

sell/return the 5.11 bag and just get yourself a Pelican case... you know that is what you really want anyway. :reddevil:

high_revs
02-24-2014, 10:19 PM
here are some pics.

below is an ar10 with scope + a lar-308 with no scope. the lar-308 is upside down (top is at the bottom of bag. the zipper will close with a little ummpph but i suspect like my condor drag bag, sooner or later there'll be a tear @ the seams there. obviously you don't see the lar-308 because i shoved it at the bottom of the bag so it's not contending with the scope. i also tried to put both rifle's stocks opposite of each other.. same result.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/goldenset/oll/DSC_6257_zpsc50fc58d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/goldenset/media/oll/DSC_6257_zpsc50fc58d.jpg.html)

below is the same ar-10 with scope + an ar-15 with scope. pic is not clear as my dslr had a hard time getting focus even with flash on. but you can kinda see the gist - it's thicker the the bag would allow an can see both scopes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/goldenset/oll/DSC_6260_zps9209e1df.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/goldenset/media/oll/DSC_6260_zps9209e1df.jpg.html)

oh well, this bag will be for the rimfires and/or rifles w/o scopes.

DanHuuN
02-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Turn one rifle upside down and faced opposite directions. Since it's a soft case you shouldn't be throwing them around anyways

Merc1138
02-25-2014, 12:15 AM
http://kaoruvictoria.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/tetris2.jpg

It really shouldn't be as difficult as you're making it out to be, but if for some reason you still can't get anything to fit, return it and get something else then.

Dhena81
02-25-2014, 12:50 AM
I seem to be able to fit my Scar 17 and an AR both with optics with the same bag. Maybe the bags dimensions have changed since I bought mine about 4 years ago. Are you strapping the rifles in the Molle? Maybe your strapping them to high.

ocabj
02-25-2014, 4:33 AM
Like I said previously, just go one rifle per case: Buy one case for each rifle you need to carry. Makes things easier than trying to pack multiple rifles in one soft case.

high_revs
02-25-2014, 7:10 AM
i did that too. didn't work.

Turn one rifle upside down and faced opposite directions. Since it's a soft case you shouldn't be throwing them around anyways

could be. i was strapping but strapping doesn't matter. in that last picture, i tried to push one a little lower while the other a little higher to offset the scopes (the thickest part of the rifle i think).

I seem to be able to fit my Scar 17 and an AR both with optics with the same bag. Maybe the bags dimensions have changed since I bought mine about 4 years ago. Are you strapping the rifles in the Molle? Maybe your strapping them to high.

yep. i'm going to buy that costco pull cart soon. LOL it may seem like more labor but i usually do go faster packing a rifle in a single bag even if i have to lock each one and buy more locks (cr-v trunk here only). . this is the last double anything other than a hard case in the far future. (hard case just won't fit in the back).

Like I said previously, just go one rifle per case: Buy one case for each rifle you need to carry. Makes things easier than trying to pack multiple rifles in one soft case.

whipkiller
02-25-2014, 2:26 PM
Something seems odd here; I had three in my 42" Condor "double" rifle case and it wasn't that tough to close. (Heavy, yes) This was including some closed-cell foam padding I put in there to keep the optics from banging off each other, making things thicker and more bulky.

16" AR w/Vortex 1-4X
15-22 with Holo
XT-22 w/Prostaff 3-9X

I don't recommend this BTW, but it was just from garage into truck, then truck to shooting table, not really carrying them around.

Maybe the longer barrels don't allow them to stagger enough because of the overlap?

coy80176
02-25-2014, 3:42 PM
/thread :cool2:

Omega13device
02-25-2014, 3:56 PM
46" bag $19.99, just sayin'...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398803/midwayusa-tactical-rifle-gun-case-42-with-6-pockets-pvc-coated-polyester-black?cm_vc=wishList

whipkiller
02-25-2014, 4:00 PM
/thread :cool2:

HA! Tactical wheelbarrow, I can see it now.

MOLLE webbing all down the sides, shooting mat that deploys out the back, ghillie material on top to cover wagon and shooter...