PDA

View Full Version : CA CCW reciprocity

9w1911
02-20-2014, 1:47 PM
I have a ccw in Nevada and I am in CA every day, do I just have wishful thinking?

Untamed1972
02-20-2014, 1:48 PM
For now.....yes.

riddler408
02-20-2014, 1:50 PM
for now ya..... I am waiting for my Nevada ccw. Would kick *** if they accepted it. class was free and the permit is only $100. far cheaper than here. but I doubt they will ever allow for non resident permits to be accepted here imho

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Untamed1972
02-20-2014, 1:56 PM
for now ya..... I am waiting for my Nevada ccw. Would kick *** if they accepted it. class was free and the permit is only $100. far cheaper than here. but I doubt they will ever allow for non resident permits to be accepted here imho

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Eventually they're likely gonna have to. May take a little bit, but perhaps with the recent 7th and 9th decisions and a good decision from SCOTUS a national reciprocity bill would have enough support to pass.

With a SCOTUS decision supporting carry....any state would be hard pressed not to recognize an out of state permit because it would violate you right to freedom of travel.

riddler408
02-20-2014, 2:02 PM
Eventually they're likely gonna have to. May take a little bit, but perhaps with the recent 7th and 9th decisions and a good decision from SCOTUS a national reciprocity bill would have enough support to pass.

With a SCOTUS decision supporting carry....any state would be hard pressed not to recognize an out of state permit because it would violate you right to freedom of travel.

I agree and am patiently waiting.... IMO we are on a road set for all these things. I don't see us being denied by SCOTUS. it is just a matter of time....

Quiet
02-20-2014, 2:52 PM

Most of the proposed National CCW reciprocity legislation requires that you still need a permit from your state of residence in order to carry in that state even though you may have a permit from another state.

So...
CA resident with NV permit, still needs a CA permit to carry in CA.

jamesob
02-20-2014, 4:11 PM
California politicians will never go for it. They want a database with everybody's info who has a ccw. Hard to get from someone who lives in a different state.

CZ man in LA
02-20-2014, 6:03 PM
Interestingly, according to http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

A CA CCW is reciprocally accepted in:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin

However, zero states' CCW is accepted for use in CA

So about half of the US accepts CA CCW but the reverse is not true.

gunsmith
02-20-2014, 6:57 PM
not so patiently waiting. we will know in a week and a half or so if SD petitions for en banc or scotus.
if they do then we wait a yr or so ( because we will win ) if they don't, they have to recognize out of state residents with a valid LTC.

Untamed1972
02-21-2014, 6:13 AM
California politicians will never go for it. They want a database with everybody's info who has a ccw. Hard to get from someone who lives in a different state.

But if elevated to a nationwide 2A right by SCOTUS they might not like it...but their wont be much they can do about it.....just like with drivers licenses.

Although I could see state CCWs being made available to a nationwide database for LE just like DLs are.

mej16489
02-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Interestingly, according to http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

A CA CCW is reciprocally accepted in:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin

However, zero states' CCW is accepted for use in CA

So about half of the US accepts CA CCW but the reverse is not true.

No state has CCW reciprocity with CA. Some states accept a CA License to Carry as the local equivalent license/permit.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reciprocal

DutchOven
02-21-2014, 12:40 PM
So who can recommend me a CCW class that is valid in California? All of the classes I'm seeing are for other states

Wiz-of-Awd
02-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Most of the proposed National CCW reciprocity legislation requires that you still need a permit from your state of residence in order to carry in that state even though you may have a permit from another state.

So...
CA resident with NV permit, still needs a CA permit to carry in CA.

So, not really "reciprocity" then...

A.W.D.

mej16489
02-21-2014, 1:38 PM
So who can recommend me a CCW class that is valid in California? All of the classes I'm seeing are for other states

It all depends on who your issuing agency will be...

DutchOven
02-21-2014, 1:41 PM
Orange County.

PackingHeatInSDCA
02-21-2014, 1:43 PM

You should find one accepted by your local sheriff.

I'm in San Diego. The last couple renewals I took William Desy's class. A++

I'm pretty sure he's at ccwusa.com (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

He will also give you certificates you can use in Florida and Utah at the same time.

Quiet
02-21-2014, 3:46 PM
Orange County.

The Orange County Sheriff's Department CCW Unit will give you a list of approved CCW courses, after you are given preliminary approval. Which happens after your initial interview and submission of your permit application.

DutchOven
02-21-2014, 3:56 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! Time to join the 6+ month wait list :)