PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Winchester?

DTFerg1595
02-18-2014, 4:32 PM
Hey all, I've had a ton of problems with Winchester shotshells, I went to my local Wallyworld and bought 2 boxes of 20 gauge AA SS and 2 boxes of 12 gauge AA SS, I opened up the boxes 20 gauge to inspect them. One hull was totally deformed with 2 pieces of shot poking out, another had a piece of shot poking out of the crimp, one with a very visible, ugly seam, another with a cracked base, a hull on one of them has a fray coming off, the base on another has a crushed area, and one more with the worst crimp I've ever seen. I've also had nothing but trouble with their universal target shotshells and getting stuck in the chamber on my 870. That isn't an isolated incedent. My Dad's 870 from the early 80's has that problem with them, my Uncle's Beretta a400, and my friend's Browning Citori. Has anyone else had problems with Winchester shotshells?

FLIGHT762
02-18-2014, 4:53 PM
You should contact Winchester and let them know the lot numbers of the ammunition with the photos you took. Someone dropped the ball. Your information will let them know who dropped the ball.

They will likely replace the ammunition.

DTFerg1595
02-18-2014, 5:03 PM
You should contact Winchester and let them know the lot numbers of the ammunition with the photos you took. Someone dropped the ball. Your information will let them know who dropped the ball.

They will likely replace the ammunition.

I have already sent them an email with those pictures and complaints. I'm just wondering how many other people have had problems with Winchester. It's just incredibly disappointing that not one problem with the AA SS shells occurred, but 7 problem shells in one box? That's ridiculous.

Germz
02-18-2014, 5:07 PM
I've had a bad taste in my mouth about winchester since one of their metallic home defense rounds, which just so happened to be the FIRST round in the magazine, was a squib.

God forbid I would have been in a situation where I ACTUALLY needed it to function.

Altahick
02-18-2014, 5:10 PM
ive only bought one box of winchester shot shells lately (12 ga target) but mine all look fine and have been working good. i shot a prairie dog with them today out of my winchester model 120. maby its a bad batch.

DTFerg1595
02-18-2014, 5:52 PM
ive only bought one box of winchester shot shells lately (12 ga target) but mine all look fine and have been working good. i shot a prairie dog with them today out of my winchester model 120. maby its a bad batch.

The bad batch theory on the target shells would be more believable if it hadn't occurred on multiple guns, in multiple states. My Dad is in Colorado, my friend is in Arizona, my Uncle is in Wyoming.

bigedp51
02-18-2014, 5:55 PM
Remington ran Lake City Army Ammunition Plant from 1941 till 1985 when Winchester got the contract to produce ammunition at Lake City. In 2001 ATK won the contract to produce the ammunition at Lake city.

After loosing the very lucrative contract at Lake City both Remington and Winchester fell on hard times. Winchester sold off its brass manufacturing to another company and General Dynamics weapons division bought out both companies powder manufacturing plants in Canada and Florida.

Olin corporation is primarily making chemicals for fertilizer and Remington is selling Mauser type rifles made in Serbia and Remingtons rifles were modified to be able to make them cheaper.

What is wrong with Winchester? The company share holders want to maximize their profits at the expense of quality. Winchester is an empty shell of its former self gutted by Wall Street.

knucklehead0202
02-18-2014, 6:31 PM
I've literally put hundreds of rounds of the cheap wally world 12ga through my defender and never had a hiccup. sounds more like somebody in the Wal-Mart warehouse ran some over with a forklift to me. anyone who's ever used a defender knows how fast you can shuck 'em through and I've yet to experience a feed/fire/consistency problem. I dunno, like anything I guess, your experience may vary

MrElectric03
02-18-2014, 8:14 PM
Never. I've been shooting WWB 12 ga through my Winchester 1200 for 14 years and never had an issue. It will however not shoot remington shells because the primers are set too low and the firing pin strikes too light.

Altahick
02-18-2014, 8:50 PM
i just looked at all of my winchester shells and they all look good and uniform and have been shooting well. so its not all of them at least. bought them in colorado btw