PDA

View Full Version : why don't some ranges want "short barrelled shotguns" and why do almost

America's Least Wanted
02-15-2014, 11:21 AM
all ranges say "no head shots"?

For crying out loud, they give you a 'Zombie' splatter target but everyone knows only a headshot takes out a zombie.:oji:

If they gave you a 'buck' target would they say "no body shots, antlers only"???:confused:

I tend to want to try to make little groups in different sectors of the target, so it is easier to see my last shot.

I wonder if I hung the target upside down would they be OK with what would then be 'groin shots'???

Fishslayer
02-15-2014, 11:26 AM
I wonder if I hung the target upside down would they be OK with what would then be 'groin shots'???

I've actually seen "No zombie targets allowed." :confused:

Keep an eye on the female shooters sometimes. They seem to really enjoy both the head & groin shots.:eek:

Carsgunsandchics
02-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Local indoor range sells all manor of humanoid paper targets. Head shots are no problem as they have cardboard on the hanger and you place your target below the line to keep from hitting and destroying the hanger. They allow rapid fire as well as birdshot, buckshot etc..

ChuckDizzle
02-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Because most people are horrible shots and when aiming for the head they come precariously close to the target clips, which break, then a lane is down, and less people shoot while the range has to repair it.

tal3nt
02-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Because most people are horrible shots and when aiming for the head they come precariously close to the target clips, which break, then a lane is down, and less people shoot while the range has to repair it.

Yup, there's always that guy

TS77
02-15-2014, 2:10 PM
The only time I see minimum barrel length requirements is for trap or skeet-shooting, and that's usually due to decibel levels for neighbors to the range.

russ69
02-15-2014, 2:31 PM
Because most people are horrible shots and when aiming for the head they come precariously close to the target clips, which break, then a lane is down, and less people shoot while the range has to repair it. That's it. Fixing the hangers gets old real quick.

The only time I see minimum barrel length requirements is for trap or skeet-shooting, and that's usually due to decibel levels for neighbors to the range.No, it's because the minimum length for a skeet gun is 21 inches by the rules for skeet.

ja308
02-15-2014, 4:18 PM
The skeet/ trap range we use does not allow any combat type shotguns !
I think its because they only exist with the auspices of a county govt led by anti constitution zealot Zev Yaroslavski .

Calgunners will recall it was this supervisor along with Gloria Molena and E Burke who eliminated the Great Western gun show, held at the Fairplex in Pomona.

CrippledPidgeon
02-15-2014, 4:43 PM
The reason for no headshots is because birdshot can ricochet off armored target hangers, and slugs will definitely destroy them.

Also, a short shotgun with a cylinder choke shooting at the head at a relatively close distance will likely also tear away at the ceiling.

Carsgunsandchics
02-15-2014, 6:13 PM
The reason for no headshots is because birdshot can ricochet off armored target hangers, and slugs will definitely destroy them.

Also, a short shotgun with a cylinder choke shooting at the head at a relatively close distance will likely also tear away at the ceiling.

You get a bunch of "Small People" shooting down there?