PDA

View Full Version : Tula SKS... worth much hassle?

Fishslayer
02-13-2014, 10:42 AM
So I have a line on a good lookin' Tula SKS. The stock is absolutely beautiful. Refinish? Don't know, don't care. It has "the look." The handguard is a ventilated metal style. Is that original?:confused: Not really important to me but maybe a bargaining chip? ;)

Didn't get a chance to really look too closely but the bore is shiny and I couldn't see any rust anywhere. It appears to have been well taken care of. It's not actually for sale yet so no idea what they'll be wanting for it. It does have the needle gun import marks on the receiver.

The problem. No $$$. I would have to sell one of my others. Looks like I would have to sell my BBQ painted Izhvesk refurb in a plastic stock.:mad:. Pretty sure I'll have to make up some $$$ for the Tula but I can handle that. It was also bought pre 2014 so there's that consideration. It's a pretty slick gun and shoots well but I've never really warmed to it much.

What say ye? Is the Tula that much better than the Izhvesk?

Bobby Ricigliano
02-13-2014, 1:22 PM
In original form the Ishevsk is rarer and more valuable than the Tula due to less production. Mechanically they should be identical.

Metal handguard is bubba's handiwork. Not original.

You'd be better off keeping the Ishevsk SKS and finding a proper stock for it. Pretty uncommon.

Fishslayer
02-13-2014, 1:51 PM
You'd be better off keeping the Ishevsk SKS and finding a proper stock for it. Pretty uncommon.

Right now it's sitting in a very nice 1951 Tula stock and I was able to find a wooden handguard for it that's "close enough." The stock was gifted to me so it would stay regardless. Probably keep what I've got. The Izhvesk I have is a known quantity (and a good one) but just not as purdy as the Tula.

yatzee982
02-13-2014, 3:10 PM
In original form the Ishevsk is rarer and more valuable than the Tula due to less production. Mechanically they should be identical.

Metal handguard is bubba's handiwork. Not original.

^^^ What BR said. Unless that Tula is a '49 Spike Bayonet then I would keep the Izhevsk. I have two '54 Izhevsks myself ... one to shoot and one to collect. If you already know the Izhevsk is a good shooter then you may be stepping down by getting the Tula. Good luck with whatever you do though.

Bobby Ricigliano
02-13-2014, 4:05 PM
As a point of reference OP, I fancy myself something of an SKS collector, and i have zero Ishevsks. Uncommon or rare bird SKS variants include:

Rare
Ishevsk Russian
Albanian

Unicorn
North Korean
East German
Vietnamese (I think?)

Sunday
02-13-2014, 4:14 PM
If you can't afford it which it seems you can't nope!!!