PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Assualt Weapon is Registered but

tjordan714
01-28-2014, 9:17 AM
I own a Armalite AR15 and I've owned it for about 18 years. I had it registered as an assualt rifle with the state back in 2001. I also have the paperwork stating this. I really haven't payed much attention to all the laws put forth by the state of CA till resently. So as long as the AR is registered and an AR it is legal to have a manufactured lower and no bullet button, right? So, am I supposed to carry the paperwork around with me every time I take it to the range ect?

swat
01-28-2014, 9:23 AM
Laminate the DOJ letter and put a copy in your rifle case.

M1NM
01-28-2014, 9:23 AM
When registered as an AW it requires no BB and you can use 11+ round mags that you owned before 2000. There is probably a database LEOs can access with the serial #s of registered AWs but it's safer to carry a copy (not the original) of your paperwork.

tjordan714
01-28-2014, 9:27 AM
It was bought in April 1997 and registered as an AW in March 2001.

tjordan714
01-28-2014, 9:30 AM
So M1NM... Do you mean I can also use my 30 round mags as well?

Ninety
01-28-2014, 9:34 AM
So M1NM... Do you mean I can also use my 30 round mags as well?

Yes, You can use all the 30 round magazines that you owned prior to 2000

ocabj
01-28-2014, 9:36 AM
I'll admit that I never carry around a copy of my registration letter. Anyone who has one will understand when I say that the letter is so generic that even if you showed it to law enforcement, it's not like it proves anything. Frankly, it looks like any Joe Blow could have typed it up and printed it out on a printer.

Heretodaygonetomorrow
01-28-2014, 9:46 AM
You are not required by law to carry a copy of the Registration Letter with the gun.

Some people say it is safer to carry a copy with you than risk a confrontation with a Uneducated LEO, who might try to seize the gun. But what are the odds that a Uneducated LEO bent on taking the gun is going to honor a photocopy of a document that states/claims the gun is legal?

tjordan714
01-28-2014, 10:12 AM
When I heard of all these laws I was like wtf! I'm glad I don't have to go have a lower made and get a stupid BB. Thank god I had it registered. I have some super old 30 round mags as well. I've been called one of the lucky ones and I'll run with it. Thanks guys!! :)

starsnuffer
01-28-2014, 10:17 AM
When I heard of all these laws I was like wtf! I'm glad I don't have to go have a lower made and get a stupid BB. Thank god I had it registered. I have some super old 30 round mags as well. I've been called one of the lucky ones and I'll run with it. Thanks guys!! :)

Yep.

The downside is that registration is delayed confiscation. You cannot transfer that weapon, so when you die, the state gets it. Unless you move out of state first.

-W

MrPlink
01-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Yep.

The downside is that registration is delayed confiscation. You cannot transfer that weapon, so when you die, the state gets it. Unless you move out of state first.

-W

I was waiting for the Tinfoil Brigade to comment about confiscation

cfusionpm
01-28-2014, 10:29 AM
"X has the possibility of leading to Y" is very different from "X will always definitely lead to Y."

RickD427
01-28-2014, 11:25 AM
You are not required by law to carry a copy of the Registration Letter with the gun.

Some people say it is safer to carry a copy with you than risk a confrontation with a Uneducated LEO, who might try to seize the gun. But what are the odds that a Uneducated LEO bent on taking the gun is going to honor a photocopy of a document that states/claims the gun is legal?

There is no requirement to carry the letter. It may be helpful to demonstrate to an LEO that you've taken the effort to comply with the law. That type of info really helps the LEO evaluate you as a law-abiding citizen. That's really the end goal of all field investigations.

At the same time, all AW registrations are in the DOJ Automated Firearm System. All the LEO has to do is run your name, or the weapon's S/N through AFS and they will be able to verify the registration.

Antagon3
01-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Nobama 'gon take MAH GUNS :oji::oji::oji:

Murmur
01-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Didn't know the state get's registered AWs when you die - that is some real horseradish right there.

SDM44
01-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Didn't know the state get's registered AWs when you die - that is some real horseradish right there.
Just think, if SB374 ever passes where all magazine fed long guns need to be registered, then the same will apply to AR's that even use BB's and have to use 10rd mags in them.

GM4spd
01-28-2014, 12:13 PM

Oh yeh,they will be showing up soon! Pete

GM4spd
01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Just think, if SB374 ever passes where all magazine fed long guns need to be registered, then the same will apply to AR's that even use BB's and have to use 10rd mags in them.

No,there is ONE definition of AW,if you register,it will/ should go back to
it's original configuration. If you have hi caps you legally owned:rolleyes:
you can use them,also. Pete

jeffyhog
01-28-2014, 1:15 PM
Everyone who owns one of these Registered Assault Weapons should print out instructions for the family on how to deal with the firearm in the event of your death. None of these rifles should be turned over to the state "as is".
The first, best option is to move it out of state ahead of time. The second option is to strip it down and remove all valuable parts, such as uppers, optics, trigger groups, anything that can be taken off. When doj comes to collect, all that should be given to them is a stripped receiver.

MrPlink
01-28-2014, 1:31 PM
Leave the doj nothing. Chop that sucker up. Good idea tho

SDM44
01-28-2014, 2:17 PM
Everyone who owns one of these Registered Assault Weapons should print out instructions for the family on how to deal with the firearm in the event of your death. None of these rifles should be turned over to the state "as is".
Instructions (for the most common relative)

1) Push 2 big pins, remove top piece and put away. Keep lower piece.

2) On lower piece, push out 2 small pins. Pull out loose pieces and put away.

3) Grab the grip handle tightly and use force to turn the shoulder buttstock thing that goes up, counter-clockwise until the entire piece unscrews off. Remove all pieces and put away.

4) Use screwdriver and unscrew the grip handle, and put away.

5) Defecate into ziplock bag. Place remaining lower piece into ziplock bag. Turn into CA DOJ.

stix213
01-28-2014, 2:53 PM
There is no requirement to have your registration paperwork with you, but a lot of LEO's seem to think there is one. Having it can quickly diffuse a situation where a LEO is convinced you are guilty of being in possession of an illegal unregistered AW, so not a bad idea.

ocabj
01-28-2014, 2:59 PM
The first, best option is to move it out of state ahead of time. The second option is to strip it down and remove all valuable parts, such as uppers, optics, trigger groups, anything that can be taken off. When doj comes to collect, all that should be given to them is a stripped receiver.

I want to be buried with mine. My friend recommended crossed ARs across the chest with open casket.

veeklog
01-28-2014, 3:17 PM
I did the same on my Armalite M15A2. Took off the A2 upper with 20" barrel, A2 stocker, trigger, and trigger guard, and now wears a Colt M4 upper, Vltor Emod, Spikes trigger, and Magpul trigger guard. The sad thing is that it is such a PITA to transport I shoot my OLL's more

Antagon3
01-28-2014, 3:17 PM

5) Defecate into ziplock bag. Place remaining lower piece into ziplock bag. Turn into CA DOJ.

LOL this is gold..

veeklog
01-28-2014, 3:34 PM

I had about 16 magazines and changed out the followers, base plates, and springs in all my pre-ban magazines. Now, except for the magazine body, they are new. I would like to paint some of them because the finish is pretty worn on some, but it gives them character

Norcalkid
01-28-2014, 5:26 PM
Nothing has changed. Use it and enjoy. I do carry a copy of the DOJ letter just in the case but you don't have too. I just figure if I ever run into an over zealous cop/RSO it might make things faster/easier for me.

bubbapug1
01-28-2014, 5:37 PM
Yep.

-W

Baseless comment. Change out the lower to an OLL with a bullet button and give it to the kids or me.

Is it really always the worst possible option for every single scenario or do some people enjoy driving at rocks in the road instead of around them??

armsbearer
01-28-2014, 6:18 PM
I keep a scanned copy of my RAW registration in my smartphone.

flatbedtruckin
01-28-2014, 6:56 PM
Originally Posted by SDM44

LOL this is gold..

Will instruct all firearm owners I know to do this in the event of confiscation..:TFH:

StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca
01-28-2014, 7:15 PM
I'll admit that I never carry around a copy of my registration letter. Anyone who has one will understand when I say that the letter is so generic that even if you showed it to law enforcement, it's not like it proves anything. Frankly, it looks like any Joe Blow could have typed it up and printed it out on a printer.

They never sent me a letter. I had to do a AFS request to confirm they were registered. Now I carry a copy of the AFS at all times.

starsnuffer
01-28-2014, 7:16 PM
Baseless comment. Change out the lower to an OLL with a bullet button and give it to the kids or me.

Is it really always the worst possible option for every single scenario or do some people enjoy driving at rocks in the road instead of around them??

Easy to do with an AR, where the lower receiver is the serialized part just a paperweight. Not so easy with just about every other weapon. The world does not revolve around the AR.

-W

tjordan714
01-29-2014, 7:06 AM
Thanks for all the information and funny stuff guys. I'm think about rebuilding my old mag, because they're excatly that... OLD. I make sure to just keep the old case intact. ;)

desertrider
01-29-2014, 7:17 AM
Easy to do with an AR, where the lower receiver is the serialized part just a paperweight. Not so easy with just about every other weapon. The world does not revolve around the AR.

-W

This is absolutely true.

My waka-waka and oogie-oogie are prime examples.

Came to my senses and decided to edit.