PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper chain plans 'state-by-state' concealed weapon databases

ttboy
01-24-2014, 3:14 PM
A national newspaper chain with nearly 100 publications and 1.6 million readers is considering building “state-by-state databases” on concealed weapons permit holders, according to an internal e-mail.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/24/newspaper-chain-seeks-to-build-state-by-state-concealed-weapon-databases/

DoddRod
01-24-2014, 3:32 PM
I wonder how this paper would react if you published a state by state list of everyone on welfare, disability, food stamps, housing assistance etc. Of course I'm not sure they have enough room on modern hard drives to accommodate THAT much info

kaligaran
01-24-2014, 3:35 PM
I wonder how this paper would react if you published a state by state list of everyone on welfare, disability, food stamps, housing assistance etc. Of course I'm not sure they have enough room on modern hard drives to accommodate THAT much info

That's a good comparison IMO.

ElvenSoul
01-24-2014, 3:41 PM
Now just publish a list of the Papers Stock Owners & Employees address & phone numbers.

DoddRod
01-24-2014, 3:45 PM
:Iagree:

Kodemonkey
01-24-2014, 3:51 PM
It's straight up bullying behavior. They are hoping it will cause some idiot to snap and create violence so they can say; "I told you so, CCW owners are dangerous thugs"

Paul S
01-24-2014, 3:56 PM
A national newspaper chain with nearly 100 publications and 1.6 million readers is considering building “state-by-state databases” on concealed weapons permit holders, according to an internal e-mail.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/24/newspaper-chain-seeks-to-build-state-by-state-concealed-weapon-databases/

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. While legal to do so in the PRK it may not be legal to publish the information in other states.

NickMc
01-24-2014, 5:12 PM
Look at the list of papers they own (http://civitasmedia.com/section/ournewspapers) ... LMAO!!

Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp
01-24-2014, 5:26 PM
Thatslike the New York state news paper that printed the names of gun owners.Can you spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T.

ja308
01-24-2014, 5:33 PM
It would be valuable to publish the reporters personal information, net worth, coin collections, classic cars etc.
That way after thieves targeted gun homes and stole weapons, they may get an idea where other valuable assets are kept .

http://gawker.com/5971941/home-addresses-of-new-york-journalists-who-published-contact-information-of-local-gun-owners-publicly-identified-by-competing-newspaper

Yep I would subscribe to the competing paper and recycle it around known high crime areas .

bigguns85
01-24-2014, 5:36 PM
just a thought here but say a criminal gets his hands on this database and robs a dudes house for his guns cant the media conglomerate editors get charged for an accesory to a crime and criminal conspiracy especially if it is illegal to publish the info? Just day dreaming here lol

Bsandoc40
01-24-2014, 5:56 PM
Too bad my county won't issue CCW. If they did, I might get myself published... :p

Not a Cook
01-24-2014, 6:03 PM
hmm... supposedly this will not be happening. The CEO of Civitas Media (the newspaper group mentioned in the Fox News article) released this short statement about an hour ago, "Civitas Media never had any plans or intentions of publishing in print or online lists of holders of “conceal and carry” permits. Nor will Civitas Media develop databases of permit holders. A poorly crafted internal memo meant to highlight editorial discussions and planning incorrectly indicated that such a database was being planned; it has been considered and rejected."

Read that statement through once or twice, and tell me if it doesn't sound like classic double-speak.... "never had any plans or intentions..." but then "has been considered and rejected"... and of course, "poorly crafted internal memo"? Hopefully they realized publishing such information would be bad for their bottom line. For the actual statement, see http://civitasmedia.com/article/20140124/HOME02/140129999

ja308
01-24-2014, 6:21 PM
just a thought here but say a criminal gets his hands on this database and robs a dudes house for his guns cant the media conglomerate editors get charged for an accesory to a crime and criminal conspiracy especially if it is illegal to publish the info? Just day dreaming here lol

I'm guessing the 1st amendment would protect them against liability.

If (its a big if) shooters and rights advocates would target advertisers, that is the surest way to stop a merchant from financially supporting the Anti- Rights paper .

Many of us recall the boycott of Kmart, the nations largest retailer ! They hired Rosie who said " if you own a gun, you belong in prison" . Some of us tried to get her censored, but Kmart refused saying " she has a right to free speech "

When gunowners and some woman's groups had finished the boycott, Rosie was gone and KMart was in chapter11, bankruptcy.

I can see some Calgunners praising the acting ability and comedic genius of Rosie and how she wins Hollywood awards and accolades ! Fortunately the gun culture was unified enough to send a powerful message and this anti rights entertainer needed another job. Because of that boycott, few business 's want to hire anti gunners .

It works like " Sir I'm planning on buying a car (or any service) within the next few weeks ".
Because you advertised in a paper that is endangering citizens, we are committed to not visit your store for 14 days . Or until you stop advertising with xxx! Hopefully we will not see your ad, because your dealership,store, etc has a good reputation and we would enjoy doing business with you.

Keep in mind you may have gunowners who will be too enamored with a certain celebrity or service to help you with any boycott to protect themselves and others .
A drop in revenue is usually enough for them to get the paper to back off or even look for other places to advertise .

Librarian
01-24-2014, 6:39 PM
None of the papers are in CA, so this goes to National - and I believe it's a dupe ...

sl0re10
01-24-2014, 6:45 PM

forget that. How about a state by state list of people that work for a lame newspaper chain.

Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp
01-24-2014, 6:52 PM
Too bad my county won't issue CCW. If they did, I might get myself published... :p

May I ask where you are from

M. D. Van Norman
01-24-2014, 6:54 PM
It would be a huge waste of bandwidth. My name would appear at least five times. :p

ja308
01-25-2014, 8:01 AM
forget that. How about a state by state list of people that work for a lame newspaper chain.

This is close lol

http://gawker.com/5971941/home-addresses-of-new-york-journalists-who-published-contact-information-of-local-gun-owners-publicly-identified-by-competing-newspaper

strongpoint
01-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Look at the list of papers they own (http://civitasmedia.com/section/ournewspapers) ... LMAO!!

jeez, is there a single good paper in the chain? how about a single decent-looking paper?

It would be valuable to publish the reporters personal information, net worth, coin collections, classic cars etc.
That way after thieves targeted gun homes and stole weapons, they may get an idea where other valuable assets are .

i think you have some misconceptions about how much editorial staffers get paid.

Bigedski
01-25-2014, 1:13 PM
Just need to publish the name and address of all news people and tell them they will be held accountable for there miss use of the CCW info by pickets in front of there homes, Time to put the shoe one the other foot and go on the offensive.

bigguns85
01-25-2014, 5:20 PM
I'm guessing the 1st amendment would protect them against liability.

Many of us recall the boycott of Kmart, the nations largest retailer ! They hired Rosie who said " if you own a gun, you belong in prison" . Some of us tried to get her censored, but Kmart refused saying " she has a right to free speech "

I dont think the 1A is that broad to protect them. For instance defamation is not covered as well as criminal conspiracy not covered hence my queston of conspiracy charges. I was just day dreaming however as I do not think charges will ever be brought forward since the anti agenda is widely suported by political hacks that will back them up and falsely claim a 1A right.

On the Kmart side I did not know that about them. I guess I was too young to notice. I just remeber being able to look at the guns and ammo from the local store and being bumbed when they shut that down I think it was due to some shooting.

GSMan
01-25-2014, 10:03 PM
Not seeing this big issue here, it is in the public interest to know who is a potential danger.

M. D. Van Norman
01-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Statistically, concealed-carry licensees are among the least dangerous. You’re more likely to be murdered by a cop, all other things being equal. :facepalm:

Bsandoc40
01-26-2014, 6:42 PM
Not seeing this big issue here, it is in the public interest to know who is a potential danger.

With this type of attitude it is no surprise antis continually use "public safety" lies to progress their war against the 2nd Amendment.

"It is for public safety for the government to know who buys more than 500rds per purchase."

'It is for public safety to limit semi-automatic magazines to 10rds."

"It is for public safety to require a license to purchase handguns, shotguns and semi-automatic rifles."

"it is for public safety to require all semi-automatic handguns to have microstamping even though it doesn't actually work."

:facepalm:

spitter3
01-26-2014, 7:01 PM
Civitas Media never had any plans or intentions of publishing in print or online lists of holders of “conceal and carry” permits. Nor will Civitas Media develop databases of permit holders. A poorly crafted internal memo meant to highlight editorial discussions and...

http://civitasmedia.com/section/company-news

No story...

Best sale
01-26-2014, 7:13 PM
With this type of attitude it is no surprise antis continually use "public safety" lies to progress their war against the 2nd Amendment.

"It is for public safety for the government to know who buys more than 500rds per purchase."

"It is for public safety to require a license to purchase handguns, shotguns and semi-automatic rifles."

"it is for public safety to require all semi-automatic handguns to have microstamping even though it doesn't actually work."

yeap, but hey, what goes up must definitely come down, when that will happen is the million $ question..... Sooner or Later, people will realise how funny & ridiculous anti plans are..... it is just a matter of time...

hatidua
01-27-2014, 9:08 AM
I carry daily, I'm not ashamed to be a gun owner, I don't care if it's on the cover of the paper that I own/carry, have at it :)

ja308
01-28-2014, 9:58 AM
jeez, is there a single good paper in the chain? how about a single decent-looking paper?

i think you have some misconceptions about how much editorial staffers get paid.

While newspaper staffers are not highly paid, it is possible they have assets from spouses, inheritance or even a lottery .

It would truly be wrong to publish editorial staffers names, addresses and to guess at assets that could be possessed by this group.

No CCW holder would enjoy seeing harm come to such a person by having their names, addresses and assets made public, even though they collectively have shown a hatred toward every law abiding 2 a advocate .

gunsmith
01-29-2014, 11:45 AM
if they do - I track down name/address/phone number of their employees/advertisers and let them know I am spreading that info on the net as anti civil rights agitators.

One time a gal answered the phone at a newspaper that was doing the same thing, I tricked her into giving me her full name.

I googled her name and got a lot of info, a whole lot.

I called her back and told her I was going to put her info up at "pro gun websites" - she got upset and indignant "we are a newspaper, this is important 1st amendment information" so I kept on repeating her argument right back at her saying "my gun rights are a 1st and 2nd amendment issue - so I need to publish the info of those people attacking my rights, by the way, I really like your facebook photo's"

The paper relented the next day.

gunsmith
01-29-2014, 11:57 AM
I carry daily, I'm not ashamed to be a gun owner, I don't care if it's on the cover of the paper that I own/carry, have at it :)

A gun is not a magical talisman, when this happened in Ohio ten yrs ago or so a CCW holder was shot in the head from behind and his gun was stolen.

Women have been victims of stalkers and have gotten CCW's for protection and have been attacked even though they have been armed, people have had their house burglarized and guns stolen after these reports have been published.

I carry all the time, its concealed when I do not want ppl to know I am carrying.

Publish my name and I consider it an attack on my life and I respond accordingly.

When I am in a fight for my life, all bets are off. There are no rules of fair conduct when my existence is in jeopardy.

Publish my name and I will show up at your house, I will talk to your children out side of their school.
I will talk to your advertisers children at their schools, I will call your advertisers at home at 3am and tell them what cars are in their driveway, I will hire private investigators and publish all info I can ....I will make employee's at any news org damm sorry they published my name.

Quiet
01-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Some states have laws that prohibits releasing permit holder info for non-LE reasons.

hatidua
01-29-2014, 8:12 PM
Publish my name and I consider it an attack on my life and I respond accordingly.

I don't, publish away.

ja308
01-30-2014, 9:55 AM

I think I know how Colorado elected an anti gun legislature !

In the spirit of your post. Would object to posting all that information here on our very own CALGUNS site ?:)

My bet is your from Boulder ! :D

RobertMW
01-30-2014, 10:41 AM
I really want to know how they would get their hands on a list like this? I would assume that a CCW permit should be privileged information, not something you could just go to the county records and ask for.

strongpoint
01-30-2014, 11:26 AM
I really want to know how they would get their hands on a list like this? I would assume that a CCW permit should be privileged information, not something you could just go to the county records and ask for.

why not? it's your taxes paying for it. most governmental records are public unless they're specifically designated otherwise. which is why ...

Some states have laws that prohibits releasing permit holder info for non-LE reasons.

njineermike
01-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Anybody who thinks ANY form of paperwork linking a citizen to a firearm will not be abused eventually needs to pay more attention.

njineermike
01-30-2014, 11:30 AM

Relax. that clown is a complete anti-gun troll. He wouldn't know a firearm from a donut if he sat on it. Don't waste your time even responding.

ja308
01-30-2014, 12:12 PM
I dont think the 1A is that broad to protect them. For instance defamation is not covered as well as criminal conspiracy not covered hence my queston of conspiracy charges. I was just day dreaming however as I do not think charges will ever be brought forward since the anti agenda is widely suported by political hacks that will back them up and falsely claim a 1A right.

On the Kmart side I did not know that about them. I guess I was too young to notice. I just remeber being able to look at the guns and ammo from the local store and being bumbed when they shut that down I think it was due to some shooting.

They stopped selling firearms due to some moron in Troy, Michigan . Probably the ones who hired Rosie !

As a side note I believe KMart still sells guns in some of our more civilised states !:)

shda5582
01-30-2014, 12:27 PM
They stopped selling firearms due to some moron in Troy, Michigan . Probably the ones who hired Rosie !

As a side note I believe KMart still sells guns in some of our more civilised states !:)

On behalf of my hometown, I apologize.

ja308
01-31-2014, 9:14 AM
The " gunsmith" our friend from Nevada has the right idea on harassing people who would endanger lives .

I especially enjoyed getting the name of the employee on newspaper !