PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Ammo Via FedEx

chango17
01-20-2014, 3:20 PM
So I went to the local FedEx hub to ship some ammo out to a CalGunner because FedEx was always cheaper than UPS only to find out they have new restrictions for shipping.

According to the clerk, who even went to double check in their shipping manual because he s**t bricks when I said it was ammo, FedEx no longer ships ORM-D via ground shipping as of this year. It is now classified as a "dangerous good" and must be labeled as an explosive, such as powder and primers.

The clerk, nervous as hell that there was a box full of ammo was right in front of him, informed me that also in order to ship dangerous goods such as ammunition it must be shipped from an FFL to a customer or from customer to an FFL. And on top of that you must have a approved account with FedEx that will allow you to ship dangerous goods because "it could literally just explode in the truck and kill the driver and anyone around" (clerks exact words).

So I laughed, picked my package up off of the scale, said thanks but no thanks, drove down the street to the UPS hub and they were happy to slap on some extra ORM-D stickers (on top of the three I had) chat a little about guns and hunting and get my package sent out. It cost an extra dollar or two but hey, Id rather give 2A friendly people my business anyway.

So just a heads up fellas. Unless you want a headache, dont go to FedEx to ship ammo anymore. Save yourself the hassle and go to UPS, but you gotta go to the hubs because the outlets will not accept it from what I hear.

ronrichards64
01-20-2014, 3:31 PM
Thanks for the tip. I went to the hub in Anaheim to sent one box of 25-20 , Cost me 17.00 $ ,That's 50 rds about the size of 38 sp . To Outskirts of San Francisco . Well it was paid for I had to ship it . The only good part was I helped out a fellow Calguner and nobody was hurt.

Bigtls1
01-20-2014, 4:37 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

Spyder
01-20-2014, 4:49 PM
You shoulda knocked the box off the counter on accident. Then dropped it a few times while leaving the store. On accident.

harveydane
01-20-2014, 5:23 PM
You shoulda knocked the box off the counter on accident. Then dropped it a few times while leaving the store. On accident.

Hahaha.

This kinda thing makes me crazy. This guy just thinks its going to explode on its own.... :facepalm:

chango17
01-20-2014, 6:17 PM
Spyder,

I wanted to just for s**ts and giggles. Dude woulda turned pale as a ghost. But I was frustrated so I wanted to get out and I promised I'd get it shipped out today and didnt know what time UPS closed so I didn't want to stay to joke around.

chango17
01-20-2014, 6:19 PM
Harvey,

Yea, when I heard him say that. I put my face in my palm and thought to myself "im definitely not dealing with the best and brightest here"

gmbat
01-21-2014, 1:35 PM
A little off topic, but in the same vein. I went to a local Postal Express that uses UPS to ship my Dillon XL for refurbish. I didn't have a box large enough, so figured I'd buy one there and box it. The 20'ish looking girl asked what it was and I told her it was a reloading press. She asked what THAT was and I explained it was used to reload ammunition. The look on her face was priceless. She panicked, called her manager, who was probably only a couple of years older. A third worker joined in the discussion as to whether they could ship it or not. It took me 5 minutes to explain it's function and there were no explosives being shipped. They finally agreed to ship it. A couple of minutes later the UPS driver came in, glanced my way and asked it that was an XL650. He reloads and we talked shop for a few minutes. When I told him about the girls' reactions, he just smiled and shook his head.

beerman
01-21-2014, 2:20 PM
I had some ammo to ship so I asked our UPS driver that services our company daily,about the best way to ship it..he told me,although its not proper procedure, to double wrap it in a strong box and ship it unmarked. he said when there marked its a target for theives. I've shipped this way several times,no problems.

chango17
01-21-2014, 9:05 PM
Beerman,
well I always put the ammo on a box and package it so it doesnt move around. I then put it in a second box with packaging foam or small bubble wrap or crumbled newspaper. That is how I was told to ship ammo.