PDA

View Full Version : I converted two anti-gunners into a pro-gunners!

iroquois
01-11-2014, 12:01 AM
I'm proud to say I successfully converted/educated two anti-gunners into a pro-gunners this week!
In all it took me approximately 5 weeks total but it was worth it!
After spending a half day this last weekend showing them how to zero at a 100 yards with my black rifle then breaking it down for a cleaning, we are ordering parts this week to build there very own rifles. I was getting a real kick how excited they are shopping for parts.
It literally came down to the fear of not knowing. After showing the rules of gun safety the fears started to go away and they felt more comfortable.
3 weeks ago I started on another Anti-gunner and I should have this person educated within another week.

:punk:

CessnaDriver
01-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Superior! Your are right to be proud.
Once someone owns a firearm, they more easily start to see the politics that they must become engaged in to defend those rights.
They also influence people around them.

vprieto23
01-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Awesome to hear! Keep it up

pastureofmuppets
01-11-2014, 2:12 AM
Behavior to be commended. Nice one.

SonofWWIIDI
01-11-2014, 4:05 AM
Nice!

ldsnet
01-11-2014, 4:13 AM
Very Well Done!!!! Congrats. Always refreshing to see someone wake up and learn something new; in this case to prove their understanding of political idioligy was incorrect too.

Adeodatus
01-11-2014, 6:09 AM
Good job!

Mulay El Raisuli
01-11-2014, 6:12 AM
How?

The Raisuli

Vin63
01-11-2014, 6:15 AM
Excellent...way to go! :D

SanPedroShooter
01-11-2014, 6:19 AM
How?

The Raisuli

Duct tape a ski mask and a car battery.

My problem is I don't have the patience. If someone comes to me and wants to shoot or ask a question, I'll go on and on forever.

If someone is not interested or antagonistic, I just move on.

Good job OP

Granite
01-11-2014, 6:26 AM
Good job and much needed. It helps when all the facts are Pro 2A.

radioburning
01-11-2014, 6:29 AM
This, and the court system, are the only way we'll win. Good job.

RudyCakes
01-11-2014, 6:40 AM
Excellent. Keep it up.

HowardW56
01-11-2014, 6:43 AM
Very good....

BumBum
01-11-2014, 7:21 AM
Good job! I've had similar experiences over the years. Usually it is just fear of the unknown and folks blindly towing the party line. The great thing is, even though this is only 2 people, they will tell their friends about their positive experiences. It can branch out from there.

model63
01-11-2014, 7:41 AM
I remember my first day as an adult parent going from student to teacher of a friend that was a mild Hoplophob...getting them to the range and seeing the light go on. It changed their politics (slightly more Libertarian) and I guess more importantly how they saw firearms in relation to their kid (probably the most important part). It went from fear and 'I don't want those things around my kid' to to the realization that they cannot shelter their kids from everything and preparing their kids for what they will encounter in the world, maybe at friends house, etc. Arm their kids with knowledge and safe handling and if their kids are going to learn about guns, it is probably best to do so while their kids are in the nest.

njineermike
01-11-2014, 7:43 AM
Awesome. Now turn them into civil rights activists and they're ready.

03fatboy
01-11-2014, 7:51 AM
Can you do that to our lawmakers?

kcjr1125
01-11-2014, 7:56 AM
nicely done! we should all have a goal of converting at least 2 people every six months and ask those to do the same.

ja308
01-11-2014, 9:24 AM
Good job Sir !
Hopefully you can get them to visit NRA GOA sites or even join.

This soft war requires unification against a formidable force ! Understatement !

iluvmycolt
01-11-2014, 9:47 AM
Awesome job and keep up the good work!

BumBum
01-11-2014, 9:54 AM

Funny you say that. Last year about this time I was talking to Yee himself on the telephone and I invited him to the range. He declined. :D

Milsurp Collector
01-11-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm proud to say I successfully converted/educated two anti-gunners into a pro-gunners this week!

2 down.

Only 9,208,449 to go. (That's 51% of California's registered voters)

iroquois
01-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
My patience comes from teaching Muay Thai for the past 20 years. I'm now applying a similar philosophy very slowly in a non-intrusive manner.
When teaching Muay Thai I obviously don't want to hurt the student the first couple of weeks or they will not return for further instruction.
Really it was a matter of discussing the core issues of anti-gunners and that's the fear of not knowing how firearms can be safe. In my opinion gun safety is simple logic but judging how most anti-gunner politics are executed logic is non-existent. :)
I initially didn't discuss any politics. That is way to sensitive of a subject and some people get extremely emotional about it.
Now that they are building their rifles I can start discussing politics. :)

SanPedroShooter
01-11-2014, 1:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
My patience comes from teaching Muay Thai for the past 20 years. I'm now applying a similar philosophy very slowly in a non-intrusive manner.
When teaching Muay Thai I obviously don't want to hurt the student the first couple of weeks or they will not return for further instruction.
Really it was a matter of discussing the core issues of anti-gunners and that's the fear of not knowing how firearms can be safe. In my opinion gun safety is simple logic but judging how most anti-gunner politics are executed logic is non-existent. :)
I initially didn't discuss any politics. That is way to sensitive of a subject and some people get extremely emotional about it.
Now that they are building their rifles I can start discussing politics. :)

If they are building is should be very easy to say, 'oh wait, that combination of parts is a felony'

That's an attention getter. And its so arbitrary, they'll realize that second what 'gun control' actually means for 99.9% of gun owners.

Once they get that, the natural reaction is 'why'?. Then you get political.

JTfish
01-11-2014, 1:37 PM
Great work OP! I'm sure they know other anti-gunners who will be shocked to learn their friends suddenly enjoy guns. Hopefully they can teach their friends with the same encouragement you gave them.

Mulay El Raisuli
01-13-2014, 12:10 PM

Ooooh. I hope that isn't directed to SanPedroShooter. :D

The Raisuli

LoadedM333
01-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Outstanding!

Titans11
01-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Awesome! I converted 2 of my coworkers my self and did exactly how you did it. Now 1 just bought his very first pistol and the other shopping for one.

CEDaytonaRydr
01-13-2014, 1:17 PM
Some of the anti-gun people simply buy into the rhetoric because they don't know much about the topic. So if you can disassociate the rhetoric from the issue itself, then you can use logic and reason to discuss the issue objectively. For example, I had a high school friend (that I haven't seen in years) post a thing on Facebook about how inappropriate it was for Davey Crickett to be marketing guns to kids. (I'm sure some of you saw that article go around on FB)

So, I told him that I received my first gun at 7 years old, and my nephew got a Davey Crickett rifle when he was 6. I also posted the article about the 12 year old girl that defended her house against a burglar using a pink Davey Crickett. I was the first, and only reply to that article; it fizzled out after that. If the person has an open mind, you can show them how to take the emotion out of the issue...

...that being said, there are some who are just too far gone; the Feinsteins, and DeLeons of the world. :rolleyes:

MichaelKent
01-13-2014, 3:54 PM
Fantastic! You sir are the kind of hero we need if we're going to keep our rights!

Moving out of state only gives the democrats more power and more seats, and they will spread their anti-gun rhetoric across the country. Staying and converting antis is our best hope for the future.

spruce3311
01-13-2014, 6:57 PM
awesome. Last year, I took 10 new shooters to the range. All changed their minds about guns. 2 bought guns. This year my goal is again ten. But I'm aiming for 5 new gun owners and 3 new NRA members.