PDA

View Full Version : CMP advanced maintenance class

themood
01-01-2014, 11:19 AM
The civilian marksmanship has a new course called the advanced maintenance class that is held at their custom shop in Anniston, AL. It's basically an armorers course for the Garand and you build a rifle that you get to keep. My dad and I both got into the September class, just wondering if any other calgunners are going to be there. We got pretty lucky, there's only 20 people in each class, 5 classes a year and they all filled up in less than 30 minutes after registration opened last month. It won't be an all original rifle- we will de artel with a new criterion barrel, new wood, and worn parts all get replaced with new manufactured parts. It will be a reliable, functioning rifle though and it'll be a great experience to do this with my pop.

ptoguy2002
01-01-2014, 3:00 PM
I didn't know about this, but am sure going to look into it now.

themood
01-01-2014, 3:11 PM
The 2014 dates are all filled but they anticipate this being on ongoing event. My dad and I were both on line at 0545 the day registration opened (opened at 0600). The site was completely overwhelmed and kept freezing, we didn't think we would make it. We both managed to get into the same class so we are pretty excited. The class is $405 and the rifle is $995 so $1400 total. I'll take lots of pics and post a review here afterwards, it's not until sept 19-21 though.

ptoguy2002
01-01-2014, 3:38 PM
There was a pamphlet in a new pistol I bought (IIRC a 1911) for a community college down south that NRA approved gunsmith classes for all sorts of specific stuff, like Bwretta armorers courses, tuning 1911s, etc.
Kinda like ROP.
It's kind of a bummer that local community colleges here don't have those.