PDA

View Full Version : Question About Microstampping

Bubba_Leon
12-28-2013, 2:04 PM
So I tried to ask this question on an older thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=763952&highlight=microstampping

But, it wouldn't let me so I'm forced to bring it up again.

My question is: Are there any pistols on the roster now that have met the microstamping requirement, and if so which ones are they.
Thank for any info in advance
BL

teg33
12-28-2013, 2:05 PM
Not so far I know.

Librarian
12-28-2013, 2:05 PM
No.

No manufacturer has added microstamping. I doubt that any will, but I've been surprised before.

Bubba_Leon
12-28-2013, 2:10 PM
Phew
Thanks guys!

Markinsac
12-29-2013, 1:35 AM
Unfortunately, since the AG letter in May that said that it is available from at least two sources, no other handguns can be added to the list without incorporating the technology. Only the ones already on the list can be sold without the technology.

We'll be at a stand-still until some type of legal action.

bulletblood
12-29-2013, 2:13 AM
Who'd buy a handgun with microstamping? You know how easy it will be to frame someone for a crime, or accidentally get charged with a crime if a killer used reloads that came from a batch that had some of your old casings? This law is horrid.

bulletblood
12-29-2013, 2:51 AM
Thinking about this some more. What if a murderer used reloads that had someone elses stamp on it. The murderer got caught. However, the microstamps, being attributed to another gun, was enough to put doubt in the jury as to the guilt of the killer. The more I think about this the more retarded this becomes.

MMXX
12-29-2013, 6:28 AM
Couldn't all guns be considered to have micro-stamping technology from a forensics stand point because every point of contact leaves behind a mark?

Gonna go watch some Judge Dredd now. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USe2YPviTZk)

Nick Justice
12-29-2013, 9:05 AM
In about half the guns tested the microstaming wore off after about ten shots. It can be removed with sandpaper in 10 seconds.
It's a joke

hossb7
12-29-2013, 9:36 AM
Microstamping is NOT about stopping crime or catching criminals. It's about making it harder for people like you and me to purchase a handgun.

As stated, all new pistols added to the roster are required to have microstamping. Like Librarian, I'd be very surprised if any ever do - and that equates to having a diminished number of handguns to purchase.

Mud Eagle
12-29-2013, 9:37 AM
Is there ANY commercially available firearms that uses mircostamping?

Nick Justice
12-29-2013, 10:23 AM
It's also an unconstitutional burden on interstate commerce. Only one state requires ALL national and international makers to comply?
Los Angeles just lost a lawsuit about requiring all big rigs that went into San Pedro Port to use super clean anti pollution technology. I was ruled an unconstitutional burden on commerce, violating the commerce clause.
Especially true for an item specifically protected by the constitution.

Nick Justice
12-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Correction: It was ruled...

Librarian
12-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Thinking about this some more. What if a murderer used reloads that had someone elses stamp on it. The murderer got caught. However, the microstamps, being attributed to another gun, was enough to put doubt in the jury as to the guilt of the killer. The more I think about this the more retarded this becomes.
This practical consideration and many others were carefully explained to the Legislature while the bill was active; they did not care.
Couldn't all guns be considered to have micro-stamping technology from a forensics stand point because every point of contact leaves behind a mark?

No - 'microstamping' has a specific legal meaning.
Not yet.

G21Shooter
12-29-2013, 11:53 AM

No there are not and will probably never be.

Bottom line, the microstamping law is a unconstitutional ban on handguns in CA, and won't stand up in court.

camcojb
12-29-2013, 12:05 PM
No there are not and will probably never be.

Bottom line, the microstamping law is a unconstitutional ban on handguns in CA, and won't stand up in court.

Unfortunately that will likely take years to make it's way through the courts. In the meantime our available guns on the "safe" roster has nowhere to go but down.

Dutch3
12-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately that will likely take years to make it's way through the courts. In the meantime our available guns on the "safe" roster has nowhere to go but down.

Yes. You might notice that the DOJ's List of Recently Added Handguns (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/files/pdfs/firearms/recentlyadded.pdf) is quite short.

Bubba_Leon
12-29-2013, 5:31 PM
So here is another thought and concern.
In 2014 a huge list of handguns will expire.
I read it here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=863082&highlight=buck+mark
Does this mean that these pistols will require microstamps to renew?
Isn't that the reason the SR22 by Ruger fell off the roster? Because they refused to microstamp it after a slide mod had been introduced.

majtom94
12-29-2013, 6:23 PM
I heard Sig has left the state, like elvis left vegas, cause it will not do new models with micro-stamping, if it even exists.

Bruce
12-29-2013, 6:25 PM
So here is another thought and concern.
In 2014 a huge list of handguns will expire.
I read it here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=863082&highlight=buck+mark
Does this mean that these pistols will require microstamps to renew?
Isn't that the reason the SR22 by Ruger fell off the roster? Because they refused to microstamp it after a slide mod had been introduced.

Handguns already on the Roster are renewed by paying the renewal fee. They do not have to be retested or incorporate newer requirements.

Whiterabbit
12-29-2013, 6:42 PM

Who'd buy a handgun with microstamping? You know how easy it will be to frame someone for a crime, or accidentally get charged with a crime if a killer used reloads that came from a batch that had some of your old casings? This law is horrid.

no. If I wanted to frame you for a crime, I'd just steal your brass at the indoor range and litter it around the scene of the crime. your fingerprints will do just fine.

This is a red herring, and does not help us get this problem resolved.

Skidmark
12-29-2013, 7:16 PM
So I tried to ask this question on an older thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=763952&highlight=microstampping

But, it wouldn't let me so I'm forced to bring it up again.

Forced to? I was able to prepare a response to that thread, but was also warned that it was an old topic, and had to click an acknowledgement box to that effect. But it looks like a "live" thread that can still be added to.

Bubba_Leon
12-29-2013, 9:59 PM
Forced to? I was able to prepare a response to that thread, but was also warned that it was an old topic, and had to click an acknowledgement box to that effect. But it looks like a "live" thread that can still be added to.

Still learning the ropes

bulletblood
12-30-2013, 12:13 AM
no. If I wanted to frame you for a crime, I'd just steal your brass at the indoor range and litter it around the scene of the crime. your fingerprints will do just fine.

This is a red herring, and does not help us get this problem resolved.

And you just used my red herring as a straw man. lol whatever. Come to think of it, you just red herringed what you called a red herringed. haha

JDay
12-30-2013, 1:04 AM
Q: What do the Tooth Fairy, The Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and working microstamping all have in common?

A: They don't exist.

One range trip and a couple hundred rounds will destroy any microstamping feature. It's useless technology.

slicknickns
12-30-2013, 1:35 AM
Unfortunately, since the AG letter in May that said that it is available from at least two sources, no other handguns can be added to the list without incorporating the technology. Only the ones already on the list can be sold without the technology.

We'll be at a stand-still until some type of legal action.

Interesting.

stix213
12-30-2013, 9:13 AM

1) Go to range
2) Pick up casings from floor with microstamping
3) Commit murder using revolver
4) Drop casings from step #2

AceGirlsHusband
12-30-2013, 9:17 AM
I heard Sig has left the state, like elvis left vegas, cause it will not do new models with micro-stamping, if it even exists.

???? Sig still shows multiple entries on the "Safe" Handgun Roster...

chris1911
12-30-2013, 9:20 AM
1) Go to range

It had better be the same make and model weapon as the marks left on the cartridge can sometimes be identified just like the marks on the bullet itself.

JDay
12-30-2013, 10:07 AM
1) Go to range

Microstamping is also supposed to stamp the projectile.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

wild_weasel
12-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Funny when I am picking up my brass at the range I never have a problem telling which brass what fired in a Glock. For that matter the FBI has pioneered analysis of fired cases and can easily match fired cases to the guns they came from already. Ever notice how Ruger ships a fired case with every gun.

JDay
12-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Funny when I am picking up my brass at the range I never have a problem telling which brass what fired in a Glock. For that matter the FBI has pioneered analysis of fired cases and can easily match fired cases to the guns they came from already. Ever notice how Ruger ships a fired case with every gun.

The reason handguns come with a shell casing is because places like New Jersey require the FFL to send it in with registration. Those casings have never solved a crime. The marks your guns leave behind change over time. And some guns, such as Glock models, are nearly impossible to tell apart if they came off the same line.

rivraton
12-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Microstamping is also supposed to stamp the projectile.

It's been a while since I read it but if I recall correctly it states "two or more places on the casing" any microstamping on the projectile would be lost as it traveled down the barrel, and even more so on impact.:rolleyes:

majtom94
12-31-2013, 7:48 AM
???? Sig still shows multiple entries on the "Safe" Handgun Roster...

Originally Posted by majtom94

FIFY

Sig told DOJ it will not use microstamping technology just to satisfy the one State.