PDA

View Full Version : Compound Bows/Bows in General

scoobydo
12-03-2013, 7:44 AM
My wife casually mentioned that she always wanted a bow when she was younger.
She said it was something they offered in high school and she loved it, but did not do it much as everybody took turns.
Flash forward 20 years later and she is still interested.
So now I'm thinking this would make a great Christmas present.
Anybody know of the top names and makers? What about models?
I don't want to get her some pro model, but also not some cheapo starter.
Thanks

itisagoodname
12-03-2013, 8:00 AM
Cant go wrong with a Browning, that's what i learned on. Just sold it to a buddy for bow fishing.

Unicorn food
12-03-2013, 8:29 AM
Pm me your number I'll help as much as I can. Just picked up my triji bow site!!!! Score!!!

d4v0s
12-03-2013, 8:37 AM
She want compound or traditional.

PSe makes a great starter package with interchangeable limbs so she could start at 15# and move up to weights as she wanted.

Compounds are a whole other animal and she will need to be fitted by a pro shop to accurately make a bow fit her. All the calculations online for draw length and such are not very accurate, they are a good starting place though.

Just like guns, she needs to try these out, every bow will be different on how it draws and behaves. Two identical compounds at #45 can feel like a #25and #65 pound bow when using different cams and valley setups.

My best advice is get her a silly $10 kid bow to wrap for Xmas, with a gift card or maybe the map quest directions to the nearest bow store in the wrapping. That way she gets a cute gift, and you don't end up buying an item that is very personal for her.

It would be like me buying you a glock because it fits me best, and in 45gap because I love that round.. You'd be happy but it wouldn't be the "right" way.

tatso7
12-03-2013, 9:01 AM
If you go with compound bow, I suggest the Mathews Genesis Pro. They go for around $200. Great starter bow for adults and kids. Draw weight is adjustable from 15 to 30 lbs, Draw length from 15 inches to 30 inches, good brace height and very well made bow. If shes ready to upgrade you can sell it (@ archerytalk.com) for almost what you pay for it. Mathews hold there value really well. Also some public archery range ( like the one in El Dorado park in Long Beach and The Pasadena rover archers at arroyo seco) hold free archery lesson every Saturday morning with there own equipments. Check in your area if there is a similar club or range.

Jules
12-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Why not get her a series of lessons, and let her shoot some different types before she picks one herself? Predator Archery down in Gilroy would be a good place for that. We came from the valley to have some adjustments done, and they had a beginner's class going on at the time. Looked very interesting.

jkcerda
12-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Why not get her a series of lessons, and let her shoot some different types before she picks one herself? Predator Archery down in Gilroy would be a good place for that. We came from the valley to have some adjustments done, and they had a beginner's class going on at the time. Looked very interesting.

^^^^^^^^6this.

OutlawDon
12-03-2013, 2:45 PM

+1

Archery and the equipment involved is very personalized as you're using your entire body/form and your mental concentration to shoot properly. Lessons and testing out some bows would be the way to start off.

repomanNWP
12-03-2013, 3:04 PM
My best advice is find a good local dealership, one that will take the time to set her up correctly, and provide all the necessary accessories (like arrows made to fit the bow), fitting the bow, basic instructions on proper form, etc. A bad shop will turn her off to the whole experience really quick (i.e. think of a bad gun shop buying experience, same thing..).

I've found that most people new to archery have a very strong feeling about their preference for traditional archery (i.e. recurve bow) or a compound bow. As was said earlier, recurves are pretty straightforward with the biggest decision being the poundage to draw the bow. For compound bows, a whole lot more setup and tuning is required, although many bows (like the Mission Craze) are wildly adjustable and can be made to fit anyone. I further agree with the advice above to shoot many bows (particularly if choosing a compound bow), and to take some lessons.

Mud
12-03-2013, 8:04 PM
My wife showed interest after the kids and I started going every weekend. I bought her a Bear Apprentice 2 ( in Pink of course) and adjusted it to her draw length and set it up at its lowest poundage. She shot it fine, now just need to work on form and she will be keeping them all on paper :D.
Bow was $225 delivered from EBay.

wjc
12-03-2013, 10:57 PM
http://bhuarchers.org/bow7/

Stevens Creek County Park

Come up on a Sunday...most of us old timers can give you some advice.

scoobydo
12-05-2013, 9:53 AM
So I'm thinking of a Hoyt Excel riser with some Short Excel limbs.
Poundage is the thing. I know 35 is the max as my wife is petite and not very strong.
They make them as low as 20.
Would 25-28 be a good starter set for her?

wjc
12-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Not knowing her height/weight I'd say 25-35 would be a good poundage.

Good form can overcome strength in most cases. Plus, some bows, bcause of the wy they are made seem
to feel lighter than others.