PDA

View Full Version : Can YOU change out an SKS handguard?

Bobby Ricigliano
11-26-2013, 10:29 AM
I need help removing a stubbornly peened handguard ferrule and changing the wood handguard. If someone has the expertise to do this without destroying anything I will gladly offer a complete SKS spike cut wood stock with handguard in excellent condition as compensation.

echo1
11-26-2013, 10:44 AM
I can do that, where are you located or were you thinking mail? The retaining pin will be toast though. I've changed out a half dozen or so. PAX

echo1
11-26-2013, 10:47 AM
A drill press and a steady hand is a goooder startn point. PAX

Lucky Scott
11-26-2013, 10:49 AM
I did one, it was more work than I expected................

NOTABIKER
11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
my yugo came with one of those metal grated hand guards when i bought it. they can be tough. i found a replacement plain wood hand guard and installed it. you must drill out one end of the pin, remove and install wood and replace pin. the hard part is if you leave to much metal material after done the hand guard will not re install to the rifle properly. if you PM me phone # i will walk you threw it. if you want help i will help you for nothing. i am no expert but i have done this myself and it turned out good. i live in the diamond bar area.

Ritchie8719
11-26-2013, 10:55 AM
You have to destroy the pin. Buymilsurp.com still has some pins I think. I have used generic split pins from the hardware store as well.

Dan_Eastvale
11-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Bobby

I saw this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=854260

in the Royal Tiger thread
He modified a c-clamp to do it.

Dan

Vlad 11
11-26-2013, 12:31 PM
A drill press and a steady hand is a goooder startn point. PAX

This. The peened head needs to be drilled off

I have a same deal albanian sino sov handguard that im doing soon, just to clean some rust out.

Can do yours if you want

Bobby Ricigliano
11-26-2013, 1:37 PM
You have to destroy the pin. Buymilsurp.com still has some pins I think. I have used generic split pins from the hardware store as well.

Yes I bought a few from there for my other SKS 'project' in progress which is to restore a hopelessly bubba'd Tula SKS. Thanks for the tip though.

Capybara
11-26-2013, 1:38 PM
Some very generous Calgunners here, warms my heart to see this.

NOTABIKER
11-26-2013, 4:38 PM
a proper size NAIL cut off both ends and take a hammer and punch works perfect. i have plenty of nails and time. maybe at the most it will take 60 minutes and look factory perfect.

Vlad 11
11-26-2013, 8:23 PM
Well since i have a couple that refuse to budge I built a removal tool like MrCoinrings.

And what do you know, it works.

http://i.imgur.com/VY8UXm9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q7SHpQN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qRPRnGC.jpg

That pin was real tough, had some rust in there. The clamp i used was a cheap $2 potmetal one, so the pusher started to bend. Im going to make a nice one out of a stainless steel clamp.

WASR10
11-26-2013, 8:27 PM
^^^ That is awesome there.

I use a hand drill and a shot of whiskey to calm my nerves.

0351USMC
11-26-2013, 8:27 PM
Well since i have a couple that refuse to budge I built a removal tool like MrCoinrings.

And what do you know, it works.

http://i.imgur.com/VY8UXm9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q7SHpQN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qRPRnGC.jpg

That pin was real tough, had some rust in there. The clamp i used was a cheap $2 potmetal one, so the pusher started to bend. Im going to make a nice one out of a stainless steel clamp.

can I borrow that clamp tool? :D

bohoki
11-26-2013, 8:33 PM
ive gotten lucky a few times by bending it using the pin as the hinge bend it open from the top it may ruin the wood but once its out you can often slap in a polymer one

NOTABIKER
11-26-2013, 8:40 PM
more than one way to do the job. nice work

MaHoTex
12-09-2013, 8:24 AM
What size roll pin would be used to replace the factory pin? I thought I had read the diameter is 3/32". Can anyone confirm?>

Vlad 11
12-09-2013, 8:29 AM
I think the ones i use are 1/8". They squeeze in there nicely. Ill have to check

NOTABIKER
12-09-2013, 9:22 AM
a nail is better than a roll pin, it is softer and will peen over nicely. their is no stress on this part. My 2c.

MaHoTex
12-09-2013, 10:47 AM
How do you peen it over? I have a vise with a solid steel block I can use for one side and hammer it on the other...

Emdawg
12-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Oh man. I am able to change mine with just a little hammer and a small metal rod.

That must be one tough SKS Bobby has.

NOTABIKER
12-09-2013, 11:47 AM
you just want to enlarge each end slightly and make it as flush as you can. flat metal surface on one end and a flat punch and hammer on the other. a little tap goes a long way.

Bobby Ricigliano
12-09-2013, 1:35 PM
I was able to solve this issue. I just sold the rifle rather than deal with it. Thanks to everyone for all the input and tips. I still have a dozen other SKS rifles and I used the funds toward a 1903a3.

'MERICA!

justin4fun
12-09-2013, 7:55 PM
I would just call you a quitter bobby but I just bring it to trap and ask him to do it.:biggrinjester:

bruceflinch
12-09-2013, 8:03 PM
^^^ That is awesome there.

I use a hand drill and a shot of whiskey to calm my nerves.

I messed up once & took 2 shots of Whisky.
One shot calms the nerves.
Two shots you don't care anymore...:facepalm:

ldsnet
12-09-2013, 8:10 PM
once i figued out how to block the handguard so I could tap the pin out, it was not too difficult (did not have to drill the old one), but the pin is a one-time use item; it will be trashed when removed.

18Dmedic
12-09-2013, 8:12 PM
Bobby, you scored with the 1903. Sweet!

89 Vision
12-09-2013, 10:01 PM
I did it twice on my Yugo....once to put an aftermarket handguard on (922r nonsense), and one more time when I realized that all that plastic crap I put on it was useless, and I went back to stock. It was a PITA beyond belief, but I eventually got it. I guess the designer(s) and manufactures didn't really think they'd be coming off much, because everything else on that gun is simple enough to remove and take apart.

DEF23
12-11-2013, 8:29 AM
I've never had to grind one down on an SKS to get it out and I have never had to replace one to get it back on either.......

.......do none of you Cal-Gunners have a bench top arbor press ???

.......Or even a straight up vise......??? (I've done a lot of small parts pressing in a vice with padded jaws)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And......oh, yeah --- I totally 2nd the nail idea for anything small that you need to make......just make sure it is double headed and large enough for your task. I've used nails to make everything from firing pins to stepped detent pins. If you have the ability to properly heat treat them afterwards, they will last you just as long as any factory part.

Learning how to turn them down properly and SAFELY without a Swiss lathe is an entirely different learning process though.........LOL !!!

Hope this helps, sir.