PDA

View Full Version : Barry Smitherman is only Texas Attorney General Candidate with a CHL - does that matt

TexasConservativeNews
11-25-2013, 11:12 AM
This is not about California, but I think the same question could apply anywhere, including in California...

Question: is it reasonable to say that I trust a candidate more to understand and protect my concealed handgun rights if the candidate actually has a concealed handgun license?

Some say it does not matter at all. I think it certainly matters in the sense that I know for sure the candidate embraces gun rights because the candidate is actually practicing his gun rights.

here is the article: http://www.texasgopvote.com/issues/stop-big-government/barry-smitherman-only-texas-ag-candidate-chl-most-trusted-gun-rights-006101

TexasConservativeNews
11-25-2013, 11:20 AM
now some liberals also have a chl... so I guess the CHL alone is not enough to trust a candidate.... Smitherman also got an A+ NRA rating because he helped get his staff the right to carry concealed guns so in my mind the chl just backs up the candidate's credentials? a CHL alone is not good enough unless the candidate also has a record and beliefs to back himself up...

zhyla
11-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Fail.

Rail
11-25-2013, 12:22 PM
If all else is equal, then yes. But having a CHL or equivalent by itself doesn't mean anything, especially in states where they are easy to get. I recall watching floor debates for pro-gun bills in Georgia a few years ago, and many who spoke against them had carry permits (or at least said they did, but whether that's true is a different story).

Librarian
11-25-2013, 12:24 PM
If all else is equal, then yes. But having a CHL or equivalent by itself doesn't mean anything, especially in states where they are easy to get. I recall watching floor debates for pro-gun bills in Georgia a few years ago, and many who spoke against them had carry permits (or at least said they did, but whether that's true is a different story).

Certainly doesn't work in CA. In places where we need folks with some gun-rights credentials, LTC are difficult to get.

ChrisC
11-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Question: is it reasonable to say that I trust a candidate more to understand and protect my concealed handgun rights if the candidate actually has a concealed handgun license?

Feinstein has a concealed license, that should answer your question.

Shorthair
11-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Sounds great but needs to be backed up with a voting record or similar verifiable stance supporting 2A rights.

TexasConservativeNews
11-25-2013, 2:53 PM
all good points.....

oh, and I think Feinstein gave up her permit after she was exposed... she said she did not need it anymore, haha... what an idiot

bwiese
11-25-2013, 8:39 PM
Feinstein has a concealed license, that should answer your question.

No she doesn't. Stop spreading crap.

ChrisC
11-26-2013, 6:51 AM

She did have one. She may not have one now, but she did.

And why do you have to be such a jerk with your response? Oh wait, I forgot, this is Calguns, where gun owners attack fellow gun owners. My mistake, continue to be a jerk, it probably makes you feel better about yourself.

Wiz-of-Awd
11-26-2013, 7:19 AM

She did have one. She may not have one now, but she did.

And why do you have to be such a jerk with your response? Oh wait, I forgot, this is Calguns, where gun owners attack fellow gun owners. My mistake, continue to be a jerk, it probably makes you feel better about yourself.

Ref link:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/273989-feinstein-doesnt-have-concealed-carry-permit-anymore

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) no longer has a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

-but-

Feinstein, who has taken the lead on efforts to renew a federal assault weapons ban, acknowledged during a hearing in 1995 of previously having a concealed weapon permit.

At the time, she said she needed it for security, but she has since dropped the permit.

"The senator does not have a concealed weapon permit," Feinstein spokesman Tom Mentzer said in an email to The Hill on Thursday.

A.W.D.