PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IF - Shipper accidentally ships receivers/firearms to wrong address?

penguinofsleep
11-12-2013, 4:08 PM
Hopefully this is the right subforum for this.

What is the correct course of action to take if a firearm or receiver is accidentally sent to you (in a situation/manner where that is not allowed) or sent to a wrong address (with the right address of your FFL printed on the package)?
EDIT: By wrong address, I mean something like "send to FFL at Joe's Guns". Shipper or carrier(ie UPS) makes mistakes and sends it to "not FFL at Sue's House" - i.e. maybe they have a similar address and a mistake was made or w/e else could happen. Let's assume Sue has no relation to Joe's guns, the shipper, or yourself. If we want to extend the scenario, what if Sue injured someone or did something otherwise illegal with said firearms? (This extension of the scenario has never happened as far as I know of or heard of, so if no one can answer this that's fine.) The story of the guy who ordered a TV from Amazon and got a rifle comes to mind here.

Just to make this 100% clear, this is NOT a thread stating that an FFL has accidentally shipped a firearm to me or me wondering what to do b/c it just happened. This has NOT happened to me or anyone else I know in the past either in a manner or situation where it is not allowed. I do NOT intend on trying to do this or to receive firearms in any other prohibited manner.

OK, with the above out of the way, story is I placed an order for a receiver a while back. The auto-generated invoice mistakenly displayed both the bill to and ship to address for the receiver as my home address. It turned out to be a glitch or some other type of error in the computing system and it was properly shipped to my FFL - it was never intended to be shipped to my home nor was my home address ever on the package. But this led me to wonder about the original question above.

Vladimir
11-12-2013, 4:11 PM
Company will probably request it back, while trying not to crap their pants, and if you dont respond then they will tell the ATF or DOJ and they will knock on your door.

Who knows, maybe legally they HAVE to inform an agency if they have knowledge it went to the wrong address like a protocol.

Fritz265
11-12-2013, 4:29 PM
Not your problem since it wasn't yet legally transferred to you. But buy insurance if it's something you paid for

Scuba951
11-12-2013, 4:43 PM
You take the firearm in and dros it?

It happens. Sometimes invoices are printed before the company has the FFL/ ship to address. The shipping guy in a warehouse has an off day and your scenario is very possible.

problemchild
11-12-2013, 4:48 PM
Pof sent my COMPLETE rifle back with no sig required. UPS left it sitting at the front door all day long. OMFG!!!!!!!!

Mossy Man
11-12-2013, 5:22 PM
Ruger shipped me a mini14 through UPS directly to my doorstep.

Of course it was mine and was being retunrpprned from warranty service

m16
11-12-2013, 5:35 PM
Back in '08 a vendor shipped a 3-pack of Noveske lowers to my house instead of sending them to my FFL.

I knew what it was, so I refused the package and it was sent back to the vendor.

They received the returned package and re-shipped it.

No big deal.

AKSOG
11-12-2013, 5:56 PM
I purchased a pistol and the FFL sent it to riflegears old address. I think he was worried for a bit but it ended up getting cleared up

kalieracer
11-12-2013, 6:12 PM
You know they can recall the shipment.. It's no biggie.

hambam105
11-12-2013, 6:47 PM
The person/company that sent them to you could accidentally report them stolen and give LE your address as the 1st clue. You know, 'just to make it 100% clear.'

SonofWWIIDI
11-12-2013, 6:57 PM
What package? I didn't get no stinkin package!

:D

IBFP
IBDE
IBSL7

Epaphroditus
11-12-2013, 8:23 PM
Or just take to the FFL ...

Standard
11-13-2013, 6:39 AM
UPS once "lost" a package of mine (AK74). Apparently they opened it, found the bill of sale with my info and then just delivered it to my doorstep.
I was shocked when I got home, but just took it in to my FFL and we proceeded as normal. No big deal.

-hanko
11-13-2013, 8:49 AM
2-3 years ago, I worked a trade deal with a guy in LA (the state) for a PolyTech M14. Sent him a usps mo, copy of my Idaho dl, and a copy of my ffl's license.

He packed and addressed the weapon perfectly.

2 days later, I checked Fed-Ex tracking and saw the rifle was delivered that morning.

3 hours later, I got a call from the local Idado National Guard recruiting office that they had my weapon...wtf :eek:.

I hopped in the truck, got to the NG office, and thanked the sergeant for his honesty.

Drove the gun to my pawnbroker and she did the transfer, $10 and 10 minutes and I'm out the door.:D

I called Fed-Ex and *****ed, customer service person couldn't have cared less. Asked for a supervisor and suggested maybe I should have called BATFE and mentioned the weapon was lost in interstate commerce. She promptly credited $150 to my Fed-Ex account and apologized.

OP, there shouldn't be any issue if you get the weapon to your ffl for the transfer.

-hanko

penguinofsleep
11-13-2013, 9:31 AM
Good to know it wouldn't have been a huge deal if this had really happened as long as I followed proper procedure to DROs the thing afterwards... especially seeing as how this could be potentially used as a way to get someone in trouble via anon package that was not asked for filled with no-no items + call to [favorite gov agency here]. Wonder if evidence has ever been planted this way before... hmmm?

BigPimping
11-13-2013, 7:20 PM
Damn, if it was a SCAR or a Tavor, I would dros that beast. I am that kind of playa........If not, I would send it back to the sender.