PDA

View Full Version : Ever try to replace a recoil spring on an astra cub in .22 short?

C&Rtrader
11-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Ok. First disclaimer. This little gun is way outside of what I collect. I just saw it and it looked cool. Now I own it. I blast to shoot, but I get FTE every 2-3 shots. Mostly stovepipes. figured I needed some new springs.

I got a new recoil spring... but I can't figure out how to get the old one out of its housing. pics of housing and new spring is below.

Also, it wolff included an extra firing pin. I really don't seem to need that. it looks like it is the same diameter as the extractor spring. I am wondering if I can cut the firing pin spring down and use it as an extractor spring?

thanks in advance.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/Jlourdeaux/IMG_20131112_113147341_zps5068e16c.jpg

saki302
11-12-2013, 5:42 PM
Pull the spring keeper back and see if the end plug looks like it's a separate piece. If it is, it may simply unscrew. If you're unlucky, it was created by pressure (squashed), or pounded in place. In that case I'd try to find a replacement rod.

Is there a notch cut into the spring keeper on the other side? If so, it probably pulls back and slides off.

TRAP55
11-12-2013, 6:29 PM
I believe that keeper is pressed on.
Opposite end from the keeper, lift the end of the coil over the end of the rod until the edge of the stop on the rod is between the coils. Hold the spring in one hand, and twist the other end of the rod with the other, and it will thread itself off.
Reverse that to get the new one on.

C&Rtrader
11-13-2013, 9:55 AM
Trap that was the fix. Thank you. It was so dirty I didn't see that before.

TRAP55
11-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Glad to help.
Sometimes I think my mental hard drive needs to be indexed and de-fragmented. I can clearly remember changing out one of those springs, but have no clue of when, where, or who owned it.:o
but I get FTE every 2-3 shots. Mostly stovepipes. figured I needed some new springs.
FTE= Eject or Extract?
I also remember that gun having the same problems. .22 Shorts are chamber fouling little buggers. Burnished the chamber after removing a small burr on the mouth of it, and stoned the extractor to get a better bite on the rim.
Still had an occasional problem until I loaded it with HiSpeed .22 Shorts. That was the cure, cycled like a bug through a goose.:)

TRAP55
11-15-2013, 1:06 PM
Get that firing pin figured out?

C&Rtrader
11-15-2013, 2:35 PM
ordered a new ejector spring. waiting for that to arrive! once i get that i will try to get that pin out. It almost looks like the firing pin retaining pin is at an angle through the slide? You tap it out from the underside of the slide? Funky design. I am excited to get this thing operational though. thank you again for your help! If i get stuck I will give you a buzz when I am passing through dixon in the next 2 weeks. really appreciate that.

TRAP55
11-15-2013, 4:35 PM
Pretty sure that pin you can see, that runs vertical, is the extractor pin. The FP retainer pin runs horizontal, and held in place by the extractor spring.