PDA

View Full Version : Sks question

beastmode986
11-11-2013, 7:06 PM
Hey guys, would it be legal to put a folding stock on an sks as the as it has the stock magazine(fixed 10 rounder)?
Also, what pouches do you guys recommend for putting the stripper clips in on a molle vest?

Thanks

Varg Vikernes
11-11-2013, 7:08 PM
I think if you put on another stock you will have to look into 922r parts.

Don't try and make an SKS an AK dude.

Mossy Man
11-11-2013, 7:20 PM
Two things:

#1: If you take it out of "sporter" configuration (folding/telescoping stocks, muzzle attachments, pistol/forward grips, high cap mags) you need to comply with federal import 922r laws.

If I'm not mistaken, SKS have 14 countable parts (15 if its a yugo) including the following:

1. Receiver.
2. Barrel.
3. Muzzle attachment. Yugo M59/66A1 Only
4. Bolt.
5. Bolt carrier.
6. Gas piston.
7. Trigger housing.
8. Trigger.
9. Hammer.
10. Sear.
11. Disconnector.
12. Buttstock.
13. Forearm/handguard.
14. Magazine body.
15. Follower.

in order for it to be compliant with the federal 922r law, you need to have no more than 10 foreign parts. You need to replace 4 (or 5, if yugo) parts with US made parts once you go out of sporter spec.

The stock counts as one, so you need three more parts somewhere else to be 922r compliant. If you replace the gas piston, that's 2. If you replace the handguard, you're at 3. I don't think there's much else you can do without messing with the magazine, so you'll probably have to use a Tapco 10/20 mag (counts as 2) modified to be permanently fixed, which has its own set of problems.

#2: You need to be >30" in its shortest firing configuration to meet CA AW requirements.

in other words, not worth doing

ratled
11-11-2013, 8:28 PM
If I recall correctly 922r only applies to those SKS's importated 1990 or after, bbut you will need to confirm that. I know there where more than a few that were imported before then.

The East German Gernade pouch is a good striper clip holder but it is not molle. It can be made molle fairly easy. Sorry for the E bay listing it was all I could find that had decent pictures
http://www.ebay.com/itm/East-German-Germany-GDR-DDR-NVA-Military-Rain-Camo-Grenade-Pouches-Bags-/111081163401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19dcf40a89

I think I was able to get 90 rounds per puch. Sportsman Guide usally has a 3 pack for like $15. Thes also work well for the Mosin clips too

ratled

socom2shooter
11-11-2013, 9:46 PM
Good info

omnitravis
11-12-2013, 5:39 AM
Two things:

#1: If you take it out of "sporter" configuration (folding/telescoping stocks, muzzle attachments, pistol/forward grips, high cap mags) you need to comply with federal import 922r laws.

If I'm not mistaken, SKS have 14 countable parts (15 if its a yugo) including the following:

1. Receiver.
2. Barrel.
3. Muzzle attachment. Yugo M59/66A1 Only
4. Bolt.
5. Bolt carrier.
6. Gas piston.
7. Trigger housing.
8. Trigger.
9. Hammer.
10. Sear.
11. Disconnector.
12. Buttstock.
13. Forearm/handguard.
14. Magazine body.
15. Follower.

in order for it to be compliant with the federal 922r law, you need to have no more than 10 foreign parts. You need to replace 4 (or 5, if yugo) parts with US made parts once you go out of sporter spec.

The stock counts as one, so you need three more parts somewhere else to be 922r compliant. If you replace the gas piston, that's 2. If you replace the handguard, you're at 3. I don't think there's much else you can do without messing with the magazine, so you'll probably have to use a Tapco 10/20 mag (counts as 2) modified to be permanently fixed, which has its own set of problems.

#2: You need to be >30" in its shortest firing configuration to meet CA AW requirements.

in other words, not worth doing

I think yugos have 17? Not sure at all though.

Bobby Ricigliano
11-12-2013, 8:27 AM
I think you should stop before you butcher a perfectly good rifle.